• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Pirates at Dodgers

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might be better at framing pitches than Molina, too. And that's saying quite a bit. If I were coaching, I would tell my catchers to watch how Lucroy receives a pitch, Lucroy specifically. He always leans his whole body toward the center of the plate while he catches it, not matter where the pitch is, no matter what he's doing with his hands. That motion, I think, buys him a ton of strike calls.

He always looks so sad, though. Every time he's hitting, and they show his face close up, he looks like he's going to cry.

Fangraphs had something that the type of 'framing' that looks bad from the front view, ie the TV view, is actually the kind of frames that the umps buy and call strikes from their view point. I'm pretty sure Lucroy was one of their examples.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melancon's command is incredible. He had that little rough patch with three walks in two games (gasp!) but he is just so consistent about working in the zone, and in quality locations in the zone.

Yeah, it was bad timing to have that hiccup against the Brewers.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really enjoyed watching Freddy play, I hope to see more guys like him. I've been getting sick of the types of games the past few years, too much focus on k's and too hard to string together hits.

And really, that was the Cards gameplan the last few years, put the ball in play especially opposite field.

We do have a couple guys in that opposite filed mold. McCutchen pulls the ball a lot, but he can go the other way with a lot of authority. Walker's a good opposite field hitter, especially on high fastballs. Harrison's got that mentality. Marte shows flashes, but he still has some work to do on his approach so he can really use his contact skill to its potential. Tabata's pretty much all right field all the time, but he's not as good at it as he was when he first came up.

But Alvarez, Martin, Davis (to a lesser extent), Sanchez, Snider, they all can only pull the ball with any authority.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fangraphs had something that the type of 'framing' that looks bad from the front view, ie the TV view, is actually the kind of frames that the umps buy and call strikes from their view point. I'm pretty sure Lucroy was one of their examples.

Catching the ball "quiet" is so important. That's why you move your body to the middle instead of the glove. You move the glove too much, and the umpire knows something's up. The quieter the glove, the better.

A lot of catchers also make the mistake of diving their gloves to the ground on breaking balls in the low part of the zone. That costs pitchers a lot of low strikes. You know it's breaking, get your glove low to start with.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grilli back to closing. He did look good his last couple times out. Velocity seems to be back up, movement's there, command has been better.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There, that slider from Grilli at the bottom of the zone is an example of receiving the low breaking ball properly. Martin's glove started low, so he didn't have to drop it to catch the ball.

It's harder on a 12-6 curve than a slider, but the principle is the same.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do have a couple guys in that opposite filed mold. McCutchen pulls the ball a lot, but he can go the other way with a lot of authority. Walker's a good opposite field hitter, especially on high fastballs. Harrison's got that mentality. Marte shows flashes, but he still has some work to do on his approach so he can really use his contact skill to its potential. Tabata's pretty much all right field all the time, but he's not as good at it as he was when he first came up.

But Alvarez, Martin, Davis (to a lesser extent), Sanchez, Snider, they all can only pull the ball with any authority.

Yeah, I was thinking more of a guy who can actually hit for average, McCutchen for sure can. The other guys not as much to varying degrees.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There, that slider from Grilli at the bottom of the zone is an example of receiving the low breaking ball properly. Martin's glove started low, so he didn't have to drop it to catch the ball.

It's harder on a 12-6 curve than a slider, but the principle is the same.

From what I remember, isn't the pivot point your elbow, not the wrist. You keep the forearm/wrist/glove on the same plane but move the body down slightly and pivot your elbow to catch the ball as your glove is moving up.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I remember, isn't the pivot point your elbow, not the wrist. You keep the forearm/wrist/glove on the same plane but move the body down slightly and pivot your elbow to catch the ball as your glove is moving up.

I don't remember specifics on how to do it, but that makes sense. Movement looks less noisy when spread over a larger area.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Save for Grilli. Double aside, decently comfortable.

But they've given us hope to start a road series before. They need to keep it going and not stop playing like they did against the Mets.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
melancon seems so much better, aggressive, and confident in the set up role.
seems to feel the pressure and nibble more in the closer role.

seems like night and day although his results a a closer arent bad, the demeanor and attitude and pitch command seem appreciably better as the setup role.

not sure if that will change so he can be the closer when grilli is gone or injured again as grilli is old.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The saddest thing about the Pirates staff this year is Watson and Wilson lead the them in WAR as relievers, and Cumpton is in the top 5.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So the pirates have been playing alright during the month of May, while Harrison and Davis/Sanchez have provided some production at RF and 1B respectively.

You might conclude that we needed a 1B (addressed when we acquired Davis) and a productive right-fielder. Unfortunately I don't think that Josh Harrison is likely to continue his pace, and he doesn't really have a position. I will say that Harrison makes a lot of sense as the right-handed complement to Alvarez and Walker in the infield. You could still get Harrison starts pretty regularly in the infield once Polanco takes over in right.

And Polanco is going to be better than Harrison. I think that we're all happy about how Harrison has performed in May, but successful months for Harrison are the ones in which he has an OPS above .800. I think that Polanco will beat that figure more often than not. Add in the huge defensive upgrade and you've got something to be excited about. Not just Polanco - but the fact that Harrison is making such a great case to be the first guy off the bench.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully, Liriano can turn his season around tonight.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the pirates have been playing alright during the month of May, while Harrison and Davis/Sanchez have provided some production at RF and 1B respectively.

You might conclude that we needed a 1B (addressed when we acquired Davis) and a productive right-fielder. Unfortunately I don't think that Josh Harrison is likely to continue his pace, and he doesn't really have a position. I will say that Harrison makes a lot of sense as the right-handed complement to Alvarez and Walker in the infield. You could still get Harrison starts pretty regularly in the infield once Polanco takes over in right.

And Polanco is going to be better than Harrison. I think that we're all happy about how Harrison has performed in May, but successful months for Harrison are the ones in which he has an OPS above .800. I think that Polanco will beat that figure more often than not. Add in the huge defensive upgrade and you've got something to be excited about. Not just Polanco - but the fact that Harrison is making such a great case to be the first guy off the bench.

Until Alvarez gets going, I'd likely use Harrison as a bit of a platoon partner with him, and between spelling Alvarez, Marte, and Walker, maybe try to get him in the lineup 2-4 times per week. It'll keep everyone fresher, get Pedro away from lefties a bit more often, and keep Harrison sharp. At least, that is, until/unless he stops hitting.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Depending on how the next few weeks go I agree about Harrison taking some Ab's at least from Pedro. He's a good late innings\ defensive replacement at 3rd too.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good call on Marte, this year he seems to not have it at the plate. Taking a night off every once in a while would be good for him.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pickoff, then k on bunt attempt, go from first and second with no outs to man on first with two outs, stupid baseball.

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pickoff, then k on bunt attempt, go from first and second with no outs to man on first with two outs, stupid baseball.

Liriano needs to learn how to bunt. He looks absolutely clueless at the plate, I've seen him K trying to bunt more than once this year. Also Marte has to be more aware.