• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ohtani

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Ohtani bet? Who cares, baseball did their “investigation” and the feds got a guy to admit he did all of these crimes.

Jackson and Rose are only involved in this conversation because gambling of any kind is illegal for any employee of MLB. And it is brought up because there isn’t a question that Ohtani’s computer, from his banking account illegally wired money.

No is making the leap to him betting on baseball. Sports gambling is something that every MLB employee agrees to not do when they sign a contract. Which is where the story doesn’t make sense. The story as it stands is the interrupter is a degenerate gambler but no one on his million dollar circle realized it and told him to distance himself.

Like I said, the original story would have been totally fine where the feds maybe gave Ohtani a fine and MLB could say Ohtani is clean because he covered a debt for his buddy that he didn’t know what it was for.
The only thing I will add is that sports betting is legal in MLB as long as it is not on baseball or softball games and done through legal channels.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I will add is that sports betting is legal in MLB as long as it is not on baseball or softball games and done through legal channels.
Not if you are an employee unless that has changed which Ippei was. Not sure about the NFL or NBA but that has always been the primary reason the leagues have been against taking money from gambling. You got docs who can clear or not clear, you got clubhouse people who know X, Y or Z. It isn’t just players throwing games, it is anyone who calls into question the integrity of the game.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irrelevant to Ohtani, but just got done watching a Black Sox documentary. And Comiskey (according to this documentary) wasn’t nearly as cheap as being portrayed. His payroll was honestly great, but the bonus’ he promised in their contracts is where he was cheap. It’s obviously a one sided doc but it at least showed me it’s not at simple as Comiskey was a cheap skate and players had to throw a series. The way I took it was, it was normal what they did but they were so good, the owners were in the middle of a rebellion and the players were rebelling against a powerful owner of the rebellion in Comisky is the only reason it came out. Opposed to Cobb and Tris Speaker being allowed to retire instead of being banned.

Last edited:

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing with money is still mind blowing. No one in his inner circle noticed it? I know people are throwing back well if you had that much money you wouldn’t notice, but multi millionaires don’t just have cash laying around the house in a mattress. Someone in his camp should’ve seen that every 6 months or whatever that Ohtani was purchasing the equivalent of a high end sports car.

But I’m also confused with his team when it came to the lady who broke the story started snooping around last year. Did no one take her seriously? Did no one look into it to say hey Ohtani needs to distance himself from someone?
That type of money missing is a big number but I do believe Ohtani never gambled a dime. I do think he was covering his buddies gambling losses whether he knew it was illegal or not judging by comments made by the bookie. I don't know why no one approached Ohtani to distance himself or maybe some one did, but we'll never know that part. Also interesting the bookie has not been charged as of yet.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That type of money missing is a big number but I do believe Ohtani never gambled a dime. I do think he was covering his buddies gambling losses whether he knew it was illegal or not judging by comments made by the bookie. I don't know why no one approached Ohtani to distance himself or maybe some one did, but we'll never know that part. Also interesting the bookie has not been charged as of yet.
Yeah the story of him covering his friends bets and not knowing he was doing illegal bets would’ve been the end of it IMO. Maybe uber pro Pete Rose people would’ve said something but Manfred could’ve easily played off Ohtani was still a victim in it.

I didn’t know he hasn’t been charged yet. That would appear they are working with him to get someone big and charge him with a lesser crime. At least that’s how it usually goes according the tv where I got my law degree from.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the story of him covering his friends bets and not knowing he was doing illegal bets would’ve been the end of it IMO. Maybe uber pro Pete Rose people would’ve said something but Manfred could’ve easily played off Ohtani was still a victim in it.

I didn’t know he hasn’t been charged yet. That would appear they are working with him to get someone big and charge him with a lesser crime. At least that’s how it usually goes according the tv where I got my law degree from.
Bookies will do anything to get their money and he did mention he sat outside Ohtani's house watching him walk his dog cause Ippy owed money but wasn't returning calls. That too me is a red flag of Ohtani paying Ippy's debt.

Yes I do agree he could be working on lesser charges. House raided, everything taken to be investigated definitely thought by now some charges would have been filed.