• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Pirates at Dodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh man, and a 10-3 game to boot, don't know what side he is on though.

I'm fairly certain he was on the away team. Seems to match the colors better. I'm not actually sure if that makes it better or worse, though. :think:

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh my God, a Chone Figgins sighting. I didn't know he was still playing.

I didn't either, actually that's a lie, since I can't tell the difference between Figgins and Howie Kendrick.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree it should be less an issue, but it amazes me Morris and League can't miss more bats.

Yeah, Colon has a weird delivery, I think his fastball plays up, and the Livan Hernandez I don't give an F attitude about giving up 12 hits in 5 innings, but walking off only letting 2 or 3 score.

Gaby has been terrific this year for sure. That's such a weapon to have a straight platoon at first base, no need to mangle the rest of the defense to get that matchup for the big bench bat.

Livan Hernandez also convinced umpires that his strike zone was shifted four inches outside. He could live out there. Fangraphs had an article on it, and his called strike zone was consistently shifted about four inches outside.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fairly certain he was on the away team. Seems to match the colors better. I'm not actually sure if that makes it better or worse, though. :think:

It's terrific either way, big fat guys get the benefit of the doubt since most things they do athletically look so awful.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Livan Hernandez also convinced umpires that his strike zone was shifted four inches outside. He could live out there. Fangraphs had an article on it, and his called strike zone was consistently shifted about four inches outside.

Yeah, I really don't understand why he would get away with it, Maddux and Glavine you could understand.

That's one thing about the modern strike zone in general, too much benefit of the doubt on the outside corner, and not enough benefit of the doubt high/low.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh: Even Prince Fielder as a Brewer? ;)

Yeah, I thought of that exact scenario as I typed it, I approve.

But the gorilla dance after he scored that run a few years ago against the Pirates, no thanks.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I really don't understand why he would get away with it, Maddux and Glavine you could understand.

That's one thing about the modern strike zone in general, too much benefit of the doubt on the outside corner, and not enough benefit of the doubt high/low.

I was actually talking about that with my roommate today. The zone is really tight at the letters in particular.

And what a play that was by Puig.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harrison swings out of his shoes a lot.

I'm actually thinking of Juan Uribe now a little bit when I watch him, except that I like Harrison and can't stand Uribe. I don't think Harrison will have many, if any, seasons like Uribe's good ones, though.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually talking about that with my roommate today. The zone is really tight at the letters in particular.

And what a play that was by Puig.

Up at the numbers is a much more hittable pitch too.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Up at the numbers is a much more hittable pitch too.

For some guys, yeah, but I think low-ball hitters are becoming a bit more of the norm around baseball now, perhaps out of necessity, or perhaps out of the frequency of lofted swings.

Although, it's still the easiest location to hit out, that's for sure.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harrison swings out of his shoes a lot.

I'm actually thinking of Juan Uribe now a little bit when I watch him, except that I like Harrison and can't stand Uribe. I don't think Harrison will have many, if any, seasons like Uribe's good ones, though.

That's a good comp, they both have the upper cut swing, Uribe is a big dude though, 6'0 235.

I saw Josh Harrison at a bar once, no way he's 5'8. He was with Chase d'Arnaud, and d'Arnaud was towering over him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good comp, they both have the upper cut swing, Uribe is a big dude though, 6'0 235.

I saw Josh Harrison at a bar once, no way he's 5'8. He was with Chase d'Arnaud, and d'Arnaud was towering over him.

The size is probably why Harrison will never be a long-term full-time starter playing that way. He just won't be able to muscle the ball like Uribe can. Though he has a good enough contact skill and the energy to be effective in spurts, like this one.

And there's Martin being awesome again defensively. If Molina wasn't a person who existed, he'd likely have a pretty impressive shelf of Gold Gloves instead of the, what, one or two he already has.

Although, Lucroy (darn it) is really establishing himself among the defensive elites, in my opinion, as well.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some guys, yeah, but I think low-ball hitters are becoming a bit more of the norm around baseball now, perhaps out of necessity, or perhaps out of the frequency of lofted swings.

Although, it's still the easiest location to hit out, that's for sure.

Very true, you have to know what you want to do with it. Sad there are few guys who can still inside out a high fastball the opposite way to the shallow OF grass a la Jeter, Matt Holliday, Carlos Lee, so few I can name them off the top of my head.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true, you have to know what you want to do with it. Sad there are few guys who can still inside out a fastball the opposite way to the shallow OF grass a la Jeter, Matt Holliday, Carlos Lee, so few I can name them off the top of my head.

That's the swing which won Freddy Sanchez a batting title.

I think the focus has shifted on maximizing every batted ball. Although, with the advent of shifts, you might see guys like that popping up again.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The size is probably why Harrison will never be a long-term full-time starter playing that way. He just won't be able to muscle the ball like Uribe can. Though he has a good enough contact skill and the energy to be effective in spurts, like this one.

And there's Martin being awesome again defensively. If Molina wasn't a person who existed, he'd likely have a pretty impressive shelf of Gold Gloves instead of the, what, one or two he already has.

Although, Lucroy (darn it) is really establishing himself among the defensive elites, in my opinion, as well.

Yeah, Molina is still great, but he doesn't deserve all of them.

Lucroy is just a damn good player overall, he can hit too.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Molina is still great, but he doesn't deserve all of them.

Lucroy is just a damn good player overall, he can hit too.

He might be better at framing pitches than Molina, too. And that's saying quite a bit. If I were coaching, I would tell my catchers to watch how Lucroy receives a pitch, Lucroy specifically. He always leans his whole body toward the center of the plate while he catches it, not matter where the pitch is, no matter what he's doing with his hands. That motion, I think, buys him a ton of strike calls.

He always looks so sad, though. Every time he's hitting, and they show his face close up, he looks like he's going to cry.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melancon's command is incredible. He had that little rough patch with three walks in two games (gasp!) but he is just so consistent about working in the zone, and in quality locations in the zone.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the swing which won Freddy Sanchez a batting title.

I think the focus has shifted on maximizing every batted ball. Although, with the advent of shifts, you might see guys like that popping up again.

I really enjoyed watching Freddy play, I hope to see more guys like him. I've been getting sick of the types of games the past few years, too much focus on k's and too hard to string together hits.

And really, that was the Cards gameplan the last few years, put the ball in play especially opposite field.