• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillies Re-Sign Carlos Ruiz: Three Years, $26 Million

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that it sends a huge screw you to Cameron Rupp. By the time Ruiz's contract expires, Rupp will be 28. If he gets off to a hot start in AA, we should be looking to move him. He will be 25, and a catcher with decent pop. Somebody will want him for sure. It's not like we'll be using him.

Who moved my thread and why? Are the mods getting power drunk again....

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.500 is what they can hope for.

70-80 wins is what can be expected.

That was this past season. Next year will be much improved. The position player months lost will be much less, the addition of Byrd will help, and the pitching will be no worse.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This ain't no 85-90 win team, unless the rest of the AL East forfeits a bunch of games.

Yeah, I really hope the Yankees don't resign Cano. It could really hurt our playoff chances in 2014...

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was this past season. Next year will be much improved. The position player months lost will be much less, the addition of Byrd will help, and the pitching will be no worse.

You summed up just about everything that in all likelihood will not happen.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you ook at the lifetime BA and RISP comps for the 3 players, it is clear that you win more games with Ruiz.

molina life .238; risp .216 K% 20%,
kratz _life .220; risp .211 K% 20%

ruiz __life .274; risp .293 K% 11%

Lol.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a good idea. All the opinions and stats are in one location.

No it's a stupid idea. This thread includes idiots who think that the Ruiz signing was a good one. If you posted on the other thread, it was assumed that you were smart enough to recognize a bad signing.

Furthermore, why does a mod have control over what I do and don't post as long as it is clean? I should be able to post as many threads about a similar topic as I want.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it's a stupid idea. This thread includes idiots who think that the Ruiz signing was a good one. If you posted on the other thread, it was assumed that you were smart enough to recognize a bad signing.

Furthermore, why does a mod have control over what I do and don't post as long as it is clean? I should be able to post as many threads about a similar topic as I want.

But your "smart" folks are afraid to provide useful statistics so people can see player comparisons. For them, it's "better to have molina."

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
roflol. Numbers too much for ya?

I quoted the wrong post. But if you think the Phils have any realistic chance at winning 85-90 games, then you're being silly.

And even then, his RISP stats only account for what, 33% of his career plate appearances? RISP stats fluctuate wildly on a yearly basis.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I quoted the wrong post. But if you think the Phils have any realistic chance at winning 85-90 games, then you're being silly.

And even then, his RISP stats only account for what, 33% of his career plate appearances? RISP stats fluctuate wildly on a yearly basis.

No. Serious, not silly. Why your lack of confidence? Same team as last year?

Of course, RISP is a smaller portion of the season stats. That's why it's important. Can the player perform under pressure when scoring situations arise? Ruiz does the better job.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a difference between having confidence in your team and being delusional.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

How will Byrd help? Are you one of those people that think Byrd is going to match last season's production?

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you ook at the lifetime BA and RISP comps for the 3 players, it is clear that you win more games with Ruiz.

molina life .238; risp .216 K% 20%,
kratz _life .220; risp .211 K% 20%

ruiz __life .274; risp .293 K% 11%

Stats do not mean much to those who do not agree with you jvett, they are focused on their biased opinions and finding ways to put you down. The Phillies signed Ruiz because they were most comfortable in keeping him around,and because he has been a decent hitter for a catcher. Plus he will be a good teacher for Rup. A 3 year contract was a stretch no doubt,but they had the money to do it. I don't think it adds any wins for next season, but I also feel that it will not cause any more losses. However, finding a solid starting pitcher and an effective relief pitcher will make a difference on the plus side. All in all, I am OK with the Ruiz signing!

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Stats do not mean much to those who do not agree with you jvett, they are focused on their biased opinions and finding ways to put you down. The Phillies signed Ruiz because they were most comfortable in keeping him around,and because he has been a decent hitter for a catcher. Plus he will be a good teacher for Rup. A 3 year contract was a stretch no doubt,but they had the money to do it. I don't think it adds any wins for next season, but I also feel that it will not cause any more losses. However, finding a solid starting pitcher and an effective relief pitcher will make a difference on the plus side. All in all, I am OK with the Ruiz signing!

Ruiz ain't worth 8.5 mill a year to the Phillies. It was wasted money. 70-80 win teams should not waste cash in such a way.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ruiz ain't worth 8.5 mill a year to the Phillies. It was wasted money. 70-80 win teams should not waste cash in such a way.

I never said that he was worth the money, or the 3 years for that matter,but I am OK with retaining him. I remember a similar situation and reaction when we signed Ibanez, but that still worked out in our favor. Pierzynski is 37 years old,an he is hitting better than ever. Somebody will probably pay him 8 million next season. Whether the Phillies wasted their money or not remains to be seen. I am hoping for the best!

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said that he was worth the money, or the 3 years for that matter,but I am OK with retaining him. I remember a similar situation and reaction when we signed Ibanez, but that still worked out in our favor. Pierzynski is 37 years old,an he is hitting better than ever. Somebody will probably pay him 8 million next season. Whether the Phillies wasted their money or not remains to be seen. I am hoping for the best!

No he isn't. Last year he was, but that year was very anomalous with 9 of his last 10 seasons. Pretty good chance he come remotely close to putting up those numbers again.

A.J. Pierzynski Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

He had a 94 OPS+ this year. His OPS+ from 04-13 is 93.