• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillies Re-Sign Carlos Ruiz: Three Years, $26 Million

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a difference between having confidence in your team and being delusional.

I've laid out my reasons for having confidence so I won't repeat them. The Phillies played with a bad deck in '13 and that was not a delusion. A better manager, healthier team, and hopefully, a few corrections in the pitching to me mean at least 85 wins.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats do not mean much to those who do not agree with you jvett, they are focused on their biased opinions and finding ways to put you down. The Phillies signed Ruiz because they were most comfortable in keeping him around,and because he has been a decent hitter for a catcher. Plus he will be a good teacher for Rup. A 3 year contract was a stretch no doubt,but they had the money to do it. I don't think it adds any wins for next season, but I also feel that it will not cause any more losses. However, finding a solid starting pitcher and an effective relief pitcher will make a difference on the plus side. All in all, I am OK with the Ruiz signing!

This is a great approach for a GM to have when acquiring different players during the offseason. As long as he doesn't add losses to the team, let's give him 26 million.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats do not mean much to those who do not agree with you jvett, they are focused on their biased opinions and finding ways to put you down. The Phillies signed Ruiz because they were most comfortable in keeping him around,and because he has been a decent hitter for a catcher. Plus he will be a good teacher for Rup. A 3 year contract was a stretch no doubt,but they had the money to do it. I don't think it adds any wins for next season, but I also feel that it will not cause any more losses. However, finding a solid starting pitcher and an effective relief pitcher will make a difference on the plus side. All in all, I am OK with the Ruiz signing!

Like I said earlier, Ruiz - Rupp is the winning combination. I will enjoy watching them both.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How will Byrd help? Are you one of those people that think Byrd is going to match last season's production?

How can you be sure the new and improved Byrd won't make a showing? Some think he won't; I think he will and it's a reasonable bet.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think he will and it's a reasonable bet.

No it is not. Betting that a career year in which he had a career high in home runs, AVG, SLG, and OPS, from a 35 year old will carry over to the following season in which he will be 36 is the exact opposite of a reasonable bet.

Also, he is another player that does not have a good on base percentage EVEN during a career year.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it is not. Betting that a career year in which he had a career high in home runs, AVG, SLG, and OPS, from a 35 year old will carry over to the following season in which he will be 36 is the exact opposite of a reasonable bet.

Also, he is another player that does not have a good on base percentage EVEN during a career year.

He's got a .336 lifetime OBP. Remember we're talking about the Phillies. That's better than Revere, Rollins, Brown. And it's about the same as Raul Ibanez.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stats show otherwise. Byrd was out most of 2012 and only hit .210. At 35, he made a huge comeback this past season hitting 24 HRs, OPS .847. Not bad for this old man.

We needed a RH power hitter. Byrd hits almost .300 lifetime vs LHP, .275 vs RHP, .273 risp. Last year he hit 24 HRs, OPS .847. He will fit in and make a contribution in the lineup along with ruf, howard, and brown. Time will tell.

____BA __ SLG __OPS

2011 .276 .395 .719
2012 .210 .245 .488 only 60 games
2013 .291 .511 .847

Last edited by a moderator:

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some guys are late bloomers. In 2015 when he's 36 he'll be the same age as Barry Bonds when Bonds hit 73 homeruns

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it interesting that with all of the new money at idiot's disposal, he never made play for Prince Fielder who was traded to Texas this past week. I guess that kind of talent just doesn't fit into the Phillies "scheme".

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seriously though, at least you have to think that compared to last season the outfield should bring a little more offense to the table. In 2013 we were looking at one of the spots being Mayberry/Nix holding down the fort until Delmon Young arrived.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I find it interesting that with all of the new money at idiot's disposal, he never made play for Prince Fielder who was traded to Texas this past week. I guess that kind of talent just doesn't fit into the Phillies "scheme".

Wait, what? Why the hell do you want TWO Howards? Fielder is an absolute abortion on the field. Ranked dead last on defense. He's over 300lbs. He is OWED 168 MILLION DOLLARS.

Where would he play? Or where would you put Howard?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I guess I have to spell out for you Caligula. Perhaps next time I'll preface my remarks with sarcasm in parentheses before I finish the post!! I was being sarcastic since idiot likes krappy players to throw gobs of money at. Is that better?

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Man I guess I have to spell out for you Caligula. Perhaps next time I'll preface my remarks with sarcasm in parentheses before I finish the post!! I was being sarcastic since idiot likes krappy players to throw gobs of money at. Is that better?

Oh, thank god! The JVett posts throw the sarcasm scale off around here.