• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillies are 16-13 under Sandberg.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sandberg has been excellent for reasons already stated. Charlie would have had Rollins leading off in September.

I would accept that if Sandberg had him batting 7th or 8th , but he has Rollins batting 2nd , which baseball nerds now say is where the best hitter should be.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, bernadina sucks. yes, mayberry sucks. this is why they are bench players at best.

however, to declare mayberry as better in such a negative tone towards bernadina is completely wrong. in the previous 3 years, where bernadina has actually received some AB, he has shown some value. his obp was over .300 all 3 years and he piled up 48 steals to just 8 caught.

mayberry has been exposed to breaking balls. at least bernadina is just having a shit year. if it came down to the both of them.. i'll take the guy who can steal some bags, make more athletic plays in the outfield, gun down more runners and actually shows some hustle.

i don't want either of them. i'm just saying, they picked up bernadina and he needs to be looked at. it's not like they're dropping a player.. they just gave a guy the night off. it's not the end of the world because cesar hernandez, a player most people know nothing about, didn't get 4 precious AB.

Bernadina has received more At Bats than Mayberry and they are the same age. Mayberry has a skill (hitting lefthanded pitching for power).

Also, aren't you the guy crying pretty much every time Asche or Ruf wasn't in the lineup when Manuel was manager?

Also, I think I may have glossed over my point about Bernadina. Just to clarify-he sucks.

WestCoastPhan

Northern California formerly from Bucks County
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll never get over losing rookie ryne sandberg back in 1982. All those great years he had with the cubs was really difficult for me. So now getting him back as the manager is great. But to act like everything this guy does as manager is perfect, just because it is ryne sandberg, is nuts. The guy is arguably the greatest 2B that has ever played this game...but that does not translate into a great manager. Let's see how things go...

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll never get over losing rookie ryne sandberg back in 1982. All those great years he had with the cubs was really difficult for me. So now getting him back as the manager is great. But to act like everything this guy does as manager is perfect, just because it is ryne sandberg, is nuts. The guy is arguably the greatest 2B that has ever played this game...but that does not translate into a great manager. Let's see how things go...

I would like to meet these people that argue that he is the greatest second baseman ever... top 10? Definitely. But no way in hell is he the best of all time.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no one is saying sandberg is the shit or we're destined for greatness with him. simply judging his performance so far, he's done a great job. he took over when the team was getting bombed and struggling just to win a game. he's giving everyone playing time, changing things around, preaching hard work and discipline. he tries different things to succeed. all that matters are the results, 17-13.

a team like the phils, or really any team, the goal is to keep them out of bad losing streaks or bad months in general. manuel cannot do this because he will not change, adapt or learn. even after all those losses, right before he was let go, what was he doing? same shit. rollins leadoff, young second, delmon cleanup, ruiz 8th. get real old timer.

as for crying when asche or ruf weren't in the lineup.. sure. there was still time left to change things around. the best lineup was needed. by the time sandberg took over, we were a whopping 14 games under. it doesn't matter if these guys get a day off now, because they are already starters and our playoff chances are long gone. that's the whole key thing.. making them starters and making sure they're in the lineup when needed. under sandberg.. asche, hernandez and ruf all start.. and he doesn't give them bullshit replacements with turds like martinez in the 7th inning with a 1 run lead.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
back to the mayberry/bernadina thing. again, they both suck. i don't think anybody would be able to give them a serious baseball compliment without laughing before they finish.

but also, again, bernadina has a better skill set than mayberry. if they were sadly going to keep one, i would hope it's bernadina. mayberry is a lazy one trick pony. he's known to hit lefties. he has not done much of that these last 2 years. so, he's basically just down to 'flashes of power.' at least with bernadina, i'm confident he would always provide better defense and be able to steal bags.

with ruf, brown, revere and hernandez on the roster.. bernadina's role would make more sense than mayberry in my opinion. but hopefully both are long gone and we never hear from them again.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Ilhagen. I have not seen you before on this board. I do agree with you though. From the looks of things, you've been around since July but appear to be a sparse poster. Yes?

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
back to the mayberry/bernadina thing. again, they both suck. i don't think anybody would be able to give them a serious baseball compliment without laughing before they finish.

but also, again, bernadina has a better skill set than mayberry. if they were sadly going to keep one, i would hope it's bernadina. mayberry is a lazy one trick pony. he's known to hit lefties. he has not done much of that these last 2 years. so, he's basically just down to 'flashes of power.' at least with bernadina, i'm confident he would always provide better defense and be able to steal bags.

with ruf, brown, revere and hernandez on the roster.. bernadina's role would make more sense than mayberry in my opinion. but hopefully both are long gone and we never hear from them again.

The thing about bench players (and bottom of the rotation starters) is that they all have multiple flaws in their game and the longer they stay with a team the more they are magnified. If Bernadina had been here instead of Washington for a few years and Mayberry was just getting here people might find some optimism from his skills. Kind of like how people talk about Kyle Kendrick like he is the worst pitcher ever and has been dragging the team down for years. I know Wins and Losses are not a stat that people value right now but for a 4th-5th starter if your team wins more than half the games you start you probably did a decent job of keeping them in the game. Kendrick is usually right around that .500 mark every year for 7 years. Also, what people fail to realize in regards to the obsession with numbering the starters, when a 4 or 5 starter like Kendrick pitches, that doesn't mean the other team's 4 or 5 is pitching-sometimes it is their 1 or 2 starter.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bench players are not consistent. Just take a look at Frandsen,last year he was great,and this year he is struggling. As for pitchers.I think that the number 4 and 5 pitchers need to be evaluated every year. Keep trading them,or sign a free agent if needed. Lannan and Kendrick need to go away, we can't take a chance on them rebounding next season. The Phillies were lucky with Blantons contract,they got rid of him just in time. We will have some money to spend on pitching next season,unless Amaro does something stupid.

lhagen931

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Ilhagen. I have not seen you before on this board. I do agree with you though. From the looks of things, you've been around since July but appear to be a sparse poster. Yes?

well, I'm not very well known yet by the other members but I will post from time to time.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ilhagen031. Just so you know, I am one of the mods here on the SportsHoopla. You don't appear to be doing much trollin or being an a-hole. Both of those things will get you thrown out. Also, don't use any Alternate Accounts. That'll get you banned. No use of nudes or scantly clad ladies for an avatar either. Everything else is pretty much straight forward. Welcome to the Phillies pages and jump right in. Any questions, you know where to find me.