• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillies are 16-13 under Sandberg.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you consider what Sandberg has, and had to work with, he is doing a good job. He is giving everyone a chance to play. He has a different approach than Charlie, he insists that players show up on time for meetings and practices,including Rollins. There is not much that he can do about the pitching right now,but that should change next season. However,I have noticed a drop in the walk rate for the relievers,and I think Sandberg is behind that. All in all, I would give him an A for his job so far. What do you think?

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd give him an A+. even at 16-13, the first two games he was thrown into was a smoking hot dodgers team with grienke and kershaw. since then it's actually been 16-11. we managed to sweep the braves, nearly sweep the d'backs and have played respectable against another hot team in the nats.

he does the simple things a manager should do, that charlie manuel wouldn't. it's crucial to adjust your lineup accordingly, especially when guys are struggling. it's equally important to blend in your bench players (again, especially when your main guys are struggling.) charlie would just keep running out the same lineup, waiting and waiting and waiting for results. it doesn't work that way.

sandberg is also willing to hit and run more. things along those lines. whereas charlie's main thing is more so.. "go ahead, you can hack 3-0."

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point well made about the 1st 2 games with the Dodgers, the Phillies were still in the losing mentality,plus they had to deal with Charlie going bye-bye. So an A plus is probably deserved. Also,I am happy that Rollins is out of the lead off spot. When Howard comes back next season, they can bat Utley 2nd,and have Brown and Ruf hit 3rd and 5th. Thay could then move Rollins to the 7 hole. Asche could hit 6th,and Chooch 8th. Revere or hernandez could lead off. Wow! That lineup looks good on paper! IMO.

WestCoastPhan

Northern California formerly from Bucks County
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd give him an A+. even at 16-13, the first two games he was thrown into was a smoking hot dodgers team with grienke and kershaw. since then it's actually been 16-11. we managed to sweep the braves, nearly sweep the d'backs and have played respectable against another hot team in the nats.

he does the simple things a manager should do, that charlie manuel wouldn't. it's crucial to adjust your lineup accordingly, especially when guys are struggling. it's equally important to blend in your bench players (again, especially when your main guys are struggling.) charlie would just keep running out the same lineup, waiting and waiting and waiting for results. it doesn't work that way.

sandberg is also willing to hit and run more. things along those lines. whereas charlie's main thing is more so.. "go ahead, you can hack 3-0."

jeez...let's not go overboard here. he did exactly the opposite yesterday. he benched a red hot Cesar Hernandez for an ice cold scrub, bernadina. I like Sandberg a lot, but let's keep it in proportion to what is really going on.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point well made about the 1st 2 games with the Dodgers, the Phillies were still in the losing mentality,plus they had to deal with Charlie going bye-bye. So an A plus is probably deserved. Also,I am happy that Rollins is out of the lead off spot. When Howard comes back next season, they can bat Utley 2nd,and have Brown and Ruf hit 3rd and 5th. Thay could then move Rollins to the 7 hole. Asche could hit 6th,and Chooch 8th. Revere or hernandez could lead off. Wow! That lineup looks good on paper! IMO.

yeah.. rollins definitely shouldn't leadoff. he's not much of anything any more. it would be great to trade him and just insert galvis. he can't hit either, but sadly enough, it's still more than rollins. he's superior to him defensively now as well.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jeez...let's not go overboard here. he did exactly the opposite yesterday. he benched a red hot Cesar Hernandez for an ice cold scrub, bernadina. I like Sandberg a lot, but let's keep it in proportion to what is really going on.

and bernadina went 2-3 with 2 doubles and a walk. if they're on your team, you still have to play them. if not, they just become a laynce nix type guy.

he was batting .261 with a .741 ops in april. 46 AB. not bad. then he was given a whopping 3 starts in may, 23 AB total. 24 AB in june. you can't do this to a bench player.

a lot of managers have their once a week game where they like to dump a bunch of bench players into the lineup. combined with their PH and late inning sub AB, it's gets them their action. it's what you have to do.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and bernadina went 2-3 with 2 doubles and a walk. if they're on your team, you still have to play them. if not, they just become a laynce nix type guy.

he was batting .261 with a .741 ops in april. 46 AB. not bad. then he was given a whopping 3 starts in may, 23 AB total. 24 AB in june. you can't do this to a bench player.

a lot of managers have their once a week game where they like to dump a bunch of bench players into the lineup. combined with their PH and late inning sub AB, it's gets them their action. it's what you have to do.

I'm fine with Sandberg keeping the bench players sharp, but starting Bernie Mac over a surging rookie just isn't the place or time to do it.

WestCoastPhan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with Sandberg keeping the bench players sharp, but starting Bernie Mac over a surging rookie just isn't the place or time to do it.

Thank you very much 1philliesfan382! apparently, _phiLLies_ is having a love affair with sandberg right now. so he's not seeing things too clearly.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lets not go crazy here. i really like hernandez, but it's not like he's a big time guy and we're in the playoff race. he's batting .333 with an .845 ops in september. galvis is actually batting .371 with a .960 ops. it's also september for these guys, something they're not used to. a day off isn't going to hurt him.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets not go crazy here. i really like hernandez, but it's not like he's a big time guy and we're in the playoff race. he's batting .333 with an .845 ops in september. galvis is actually batting .371 with a .960 ops. it's also september for these guys, something they're not used to. a day off isn't going to hurt him.

I'm not going crazy. When a rookie is hitting .333 in a month (with an .845 ops- and he's not even a power hitter) I don't think he needs a day off. At least let him go 0-4 before you do it. Honestly, I don't give two shits about whether or not Bernadina is sharp. We're not going to the playoffs, and he should be gone after next year. I agree rookies (and vets) need regular time off, and bench players need at-bats to stay sharp for when you need them late in the game, but I hate to see it happen when a rookie is hitting .333 over his last 15 games.

WestCoastPhan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hey galvis should be playing over jroll and franco should be playing over utley...because it is september and the phillies only have about a dozen games left. let's play our future, not our past or in bernadina's case...a "has been" from the montreal expos that never was.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you very much 1philliesfan382! apparently, _phiLLies_ is having a love affair with sandberg right now. so he's not seeing things too clearly.

i'm having a love affair with common sense and good managing.

john lameberry had 46 AB in may. he had 1 extra base hit and a .617 ops.
freddy galvis had 62 AB in may. he had a .226 average and .584 ops.

kevin frandsen had 21 AB in may. laynce nix had 23 AB in may.

this is not how you use a bench. if you want players to hit, you have to use them. giving them a PH every 4-5 days and a start every 2 weeks doesn't cut it.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bernadina needs to play because they're probably giving him a look for next year as crap off the bench, or maybe even an invite to the minors. can't take away the fact it was just last year the guy hit .291 with a .372 obp/.777 ops/15 steals in 227 AB.

hernandez having a day off does nothing. they know his skill level and what he's capable of. that's why he is playing center now, so he can be with the team next year.

does bernadina suck? sure. this season at least. i mentioned before that he at least has a shred of talent, unlike martinez. so it doesn't hurt to give a guy with speed, who can also play defense, a little action to get a better idea of his game.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bernadina needs to play because they're probably giving him a look for next year as crap off the bench, or maybe even an invite to the minors. can't take away the fact it was just last year the guy hit .291 with a .372 obp/.777 ops/15 steals in 227 AB.

hernandez having a day off does nothing. they know his skill level and what he's capable of. that's why he is playing center now, so he can be with the team next year.

does bernadina suck? sure. this season at least. i mentioned before that he at least has a shred of talent, unlike martinez. so it doesn't hurt to give a guy with speed, who can also play defense, a little action to get a better idea of his game.

His defense has improved over his career, but it's still not very good for someone who can't hit. He shouldn't be back next year. It's not like he's having just one bad season. He's a career .240/.307.359 hitter. There are better bench players available for similar money.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with West Coast. In my opinion the minor differences in strategery ain't going to make a difference and you can really spin it any way you want. Some of the same things that Manuel was/would be criticized for are ok if Sandberg does them. They are both good managers in my opinion. And honestly I find it laughable that people (mostly Phillies I guess) can be so negative towards Mayberry and so optimistic about Roger Bernadina. Bookmark this page and refer to it later. BERNADINA SUCKS. Mayberry is not a complete player and not that good but he is and always will be better than Roger Fucking Bernadina. Bernadina has 100 more plate appearance than Mayberry and has a .666 OPS lifetime. He blows. (no offense to Roger personally, at least he has stayed in the majors for a while)

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, bernadina sucks. yes, mayberry sucks. this is why they are bench players at best.

however, to declare mayberry as better in such a negative tone towards bernadina is completely wrong. in the previous 3 years, where bernadina has actually received some AB, he has shown some value. his obp was over .300 all 3 years and he piled up 48 steals to just 8 caught.

mayberry has been exposed to breaking balls. at least bernadina is just having a shit year. if it came down to the both of them.. i'll take the guy who can steal some bags, make more athletic plays in the outfield, gun down more runners and actually shows some hustle.

i don't want either of them. i'm just saying, they picked up bernadina and he needs to be looked at. it's not like they're dropping a player.. they just gave a guy the night off. it's not the end of the world because cesar hernandez, a player most people know nothing about, didn't get 4 precious AB.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also, on sandberg. the phils were 5-19 in the 2nd half under manuel. they're now 17-13 under ryno, with a handful of rejects and minor league players. again, it's been said many times over the years by many people. charlie manuel cannot manage and it will show when the phils run into a bit of trouble. he had taken over stacked teams that quickly crumbled when not at their peak.

from his double-switches to bullpen decisions to lack of changes in the lineup to.. well, everyone knows. babysitter, babysitter, babysitter, babysitter. fill out the same card every night, laugh and joke in the dugout, give a shitty post-game when the phils lose. declare "i don't know what to do" when you can't win. sandberg seems to know what to do.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, bernadina sucks. yes, mayberry sucks. this is why they are bench players at best.

however, to declare mayberry as better in such a negative tone towards bernadina is completely wrong. in the previous 3 years, where bernadina has actually received some AB, he has shown some value. his obp was over .300 all 3 years and he piled up 48 steals to just 8 caught.

mayberry has been exposed to breaking balls. at least bernadina is just having a shit year. if it came down to the both of them.. i'll take the guy who can steal some bags, make more athletic plays in the outfield, gun down more runners and actually shows some hustle.

i don't want either of them. i'm just saying, they picked up bernadina and he needs to be looked at. it's not like they're dropping a player.. they just gave a guy the night off. it's not the end of the world because cesar hernandez, a player most people know nothing about, didn't get 4 precious AB.

I don't see how Hernandez being unknown to the average baseball fan should factor into whether or not he starts. Bernadina and Mayberry both need to go. It's not Bernadina vs. Mayberry, it's Bernidina vs. every other MLB free agent backup outfielder. Sure Bernidina can run, throw, and steal, but at the end of the day he is hitting .176 and strikes out at a 26% clip. You can't steal first base. We've given him a tryout, and all I've seen is a fringe-MLB player who plays slightly above average defense and not much else. Goodbye.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sandberg has been excellent for reasons already stated. Charlie would have had Rollins leading off in September.