• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pete DeBoer Death Watch (PETE FIRED BY LOU, NEW COACH NOT YET NAMED)

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nothing will happen until closer to FA day anyway. Who knows, if Pitt gets smoked early again, Fleury or Bylsma is definitely going to be gone, maybe we can snag Pitt's coach from them. The problem is, if we're going to suck, you're going to need to try someone new to see if these kids are really busts, or if Pete's reputation of not being good for young players is legit. JJ has looked good the last few games. Someone has to let Gelly, Lars, and Merrill play.

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Torts is the answer, it must have been a really stupid question!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't go with Torts, that would completely destroy the team. Look at the great work he's done in Vancouver. His players eventually tune him out or have a locker room revolt.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rumors of an extension were bouncing around yesterday and during today's game, Lou announced that Pete was/is under contract for next year. PDB declined to discuss his contract at all. TG noted that the Devils never release information about coaching contracts.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
well we have seen what this guy can do with teams that have star players on it.

but if the majority of this roster carries over to next year hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i think we miss again

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh well. Another year of hair pulling press conferences, poor shootouts, and lots of Stephen Gionta

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players all say they love him....if that's the case they shouldn't have come out flat against crap teams like Florida down the stretch

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well we have seen what this guy can do with teams that have star players on it.

but if the majority of this roster carries over to next year hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i think we miss again

I was just looking at capgeek and this is essentially the same team next year due to high salaries and NTC. In my mind you also have to bring Jagr back, and he will cost you at least $2M/yr. Plus you need a backup goaltender, whether that is Marty or not. So even the cap space we do have is already earmarked for certain needs.

The players all say they love him....if that's the case they shouldn't have come out flat against crap teams like Florida down the stretch

I'm glad the players love him. But if they want to throw that out there, as is their right to do so, I want to hear an honest answer about why this team was bad. Because if we're being truthful, this whole season was a struggle. So to all those players who want to come back next year and play for PDB, tell me what is different in 2014-15? If all of you come back (as it looks like most of you are) then what can I expect as a fan? Please enlighten me.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
they will resign fayne and everyone will be happy because he is "cheap"
marty will be back for obvious reasons.
gionta will get the lou loyalty contract i like to call that the pando deal

i would be AMAZED if we use the last buyout. it wont be on a guy like salvador thats for sure. they used one last year on moose because they were forced to.

everyone that wants jagr back next year. dont get upset if he plays like a 43 year old next year and puts up half the points he does now. brian rolston 2.0?

whats funny is that marty is in the press saying something along the lines of the players "being happy we are a .500 team" that stuff use to not fly in the locker room.

1. this team is loaded with vets how is that possible?
2. marty is the "greatest" goalie of all time. why doesn't he step up in the locker room then and try and fix the problem.

maybe he has? if so why is everyone tuning him out? team needs a major overhaul.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully we get Clowe off the books at least temporarily.

I'd be ok with Jagr coming back, Marty as well assuming it's for less than he's currently making.

Fayne isn't bad for a bottom pairing guy.

I don't believe the entire 4th line will be back. Bernier is probably gone. Carter I could certainly live without. I don't mind Gionta. People hate hearing about the energy guys etc. but you can't tell me when Gionta throws a hit and goes all out people don't notice. He'll get 4th line money which is fine.

But Lou has to know the young guys are on their way up. Can't hold our D back much longer. Matteau probably could've played in the NHL this past season. I don't think it's a complete overhaul this offseason but I think we'll make some moves. Hell, look at last offseason, we were very active in free agency. This year we have caproom, cap should go up, I anticipate a trade. We will be a better team next year.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
problem with fayne is there is no room for him. harrold is already our bottom pair spare d man.

devils need 3 spots on d for their rookies. it wont happen and we will have the same situation as this year.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
problem with fayne is there is no room for him. harrold is already our bottom pair spare d man.

devils need 3 spots on d for their rookies. it wont happen and we will have the same situation as this year.

You're right, I thought Harrold was a free agent as well. Maybe we luck out and somebody gets dealt?

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
its like lou is a hoarder of "C" level role players

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes, too many lower level players. But also we got un-movable pile of bricks on this team too. Salvador, Volchenkov, Clowe, etc are very difficult to move.
Fayne was a bargain, yes, but if Lou keeps these guys, plus our entire 4th line, we will end up with the same team from last year.

Its time to get the younger guys on this team. We have been saying the same thing for years.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously Gelinas and Merrill need to be everday guys. I would like JJ and Matteau to be everyday guys.

Free Agent? - Zajac - Jagr
Elias - Henrique - Ryder
Brunner - Zubrus - Ruutu
Whichever 4th liner we bring back - JJ - Matteau

Greene - Gelinas
A-Train - Merrill
Larsson - Salvador
Harrold

Looking at it this way, we really need to swing a deal. Again, we have the pieces to make a deal in my opinion. I think Ryder has decent value. Insanely streaky, but with one year left on a deal he could be appealing to a team looking for a cheap, quick fix. You could probably put together a decent package of Ryder, young D, maybe another prospect and a future pick. Make a trade, sign an impact player.

I don't think this team was nearly as bad as many made it out to be. They were better than their record and the thing lacking was a game changing player. If we can somehow manage to add 1 or 2 guys that can get us 20+ goals I think we're in real good shape.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing to keep in mind, new owners may not like what they see. We may actually see an overhaul. I know technically they're not in the day to day hockey activities but missing the playoffs 2 straight years can't sit well with them.

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing to keep in mind, new owners may not like what they see. We may actually see an overhaul. I know technically they're not in the day to day hockey activities but missing the playoffs 2 straight years can't sit well with them.

I hope you are right. Missing the playoffs has to bother someone, although I have yet to see who within the organization feels that way.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hope you are right. Missing the playoffs has to bother someone, although I have yet to see who within the organization feels that way.

I'd imagine that since their not hockey guys, they'd work with Lou to facilitate a changing of the guard.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barry Trotz is available and wants to coach. He has a good history of coaching up the younger players. Yet we are stuck with Pete DeSnore!

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd imagine that since their not hockey guys, they'd work with Lou to facilitate a changing of the guard.

no one cares in the locker room if we make the playoffs its pretty obvious.

stems from our "core" leaders. you would think elias and marty 2 guys been there from the glory days would be pillars of what we use to be? yet somehow this "loser" culture has crept into the locker room go figure.

your right too about the new owners not being hockey guys. which is a biiiiiiiiiiig worry for me. they can just as easily say to lou. hey we are fine losing money just not losing 20 million so lets cut some salary and take a 10 million hit every year. i'm not a basketball fan but i believe the 76ers still suck not sure what the fans have to say about harris and his intentions