• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Perhaps one of the Worst trades in Sports History....

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Cleveland is hellbent on a franchise QB, and has two first rounders....why would a team not trade with them if Mariota drops? Mariota will likely be a Brown (poor guy).

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. If that should happen (he falls to 12) do you think our 1st, sam Bradford, and a conditional 2nd/3rd next year (depending on Bradfords performance or playing time for the browns this year) would do the deal??? If so, we would have basically given up our 1st and 2nd (and next years 2nd/3rd) along with Foles to get Mariota.

Mariota and Joe Haden for Bradford and #20 would be fair.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Chip or Howie draft Barkley? One would think it was Howie given that Chip didn't have final say.

And Sanchez is a fine backup QB.

Barkley was Howie's pick. I remember Daniel Jeremiah of NFL Network (back when he was still a scout working for the Eagles) saying when they made the pick that Howie was hot after Barkley since his sophomore season.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. If that should happen (he falls to 12) do you think our 1st, sam Bradford, and a conditional 2nd/3rd next year (depending on Bradfords performance or playing time for the browns this year) would do the deal??? If so, we would have basically given up our 1st and 2nd (and next years 2nd/3rd) along with Foles to get Mariota.

While I'm slowly warming up to the idea of Bradford as an Eagle, if Mariota falls to 12 (I'm thinking a very good possibilty at this point) I would make that trade but for 12 straight up. If Cleveland wants him that bad then cough up the pick, no extras involved. We already gave up too much to get Bradford in the first place.

With that being said, it might come down to who wants who more, Chip might give them 20 and Bradford to make that move.

This may have already been mentioned, but maybe Chip already knew from his negotiations w/ STL that Cleveland was the other team after Bradford. So he made the move to get him first, and see if Cleveland blinks to make the swap if Mariota drops to their pick. If not, then Chip feels like he's got his guy for the short-term at least. We won't know for sure until draft day.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am starting to think Mariota will drop out of the top 5, but I still can't see him dropping out of the top 10. Someone would move up for him. Like us.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I don't want to see is the Rams trying to humiliate us publicly after the fact like they attempted to do to Washington when they trotted out the players acquired with the picks the received in the RG3 deal as captains before kickoff.

Fisher & Mike Shanahan are good friends. rumor is Fisher did it for him for the way the redskins treated him.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think of this theory… Chip gets Bradford because yes he likes him but he also knows the Browns will give the 19th pick for Bradford. So I'm thinking that crazy MF got Bradford almost like an insurance policy if indeed Mariota starts to fall. if he gets past the Jets at 6 there is no other team until the Rams at 10 that could use a QB. IF he gets to 10 I think he will call the Rams and make a deal. then he calls the Browns and trades Bradford in a heartbeat for the 19th pick. then… you might want to sit down for this. he trades with the Rams giving them the 19th & 20th pick next years 1st and probably a 2nd rd pick and chip has his golden boy at 10.

the Browns already offered the 19th pick for Bradford but he can't do it now because if MM doesn't slide then he won't be able to get him and be without a QB. He has to hope he slides.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be right. And in that case hopefully at the end of the day Chip is left holding Bradford.

DaEagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then… you might want to sit down for this. he trades with the Rams giving them the 19th & 20th pick next years 1st and probably a 2nd rd pick and chip has his golden boy at 10.

No Way they give up that much to move up to 10. Maybe 19/20 this year to move to 10 but NO WAY in hell they also give up next years 1 to move up.

They could do all of what you said and get into top 5 now.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THe new buzz is that the Chargers may be interested in Mariota if he drops a bit and could make a play for him due to the uncertainty of Rivers' contract after the '15-'16 season.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THe new buzz is that the Chargers may be interested in Mariota if he drops a bit and could make a play for him due to the uncertainty of Rivers' contract after the '15-'16 season.

That just sounds like buzz to me. Usually once teams find a good quarterback and he's very good they're not gonna let him go. They will pay him in the end. It's suicide if they don't.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my theory.

Titans take Mariota with the second pick of the draft.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fisher & Mike Shanahan are good friends. rumor is Fisher did it for him for the way the redskins treated him.

This is true. And personally I thought it was awesome. But of course it would have had a bigger effect if the players they acquired for all those picks were actually good players but so far that simply has not been the case.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true. And personally I thought it was awesome. But of course it would have had a bigger effect if the players they acquired for all those picks were actually good players but so far that simply has not been the case.

Considering the way the trade turned out, I'd rather have what St. Louis has than what Washington has. Brockers, Ogletree, Robinson, Stacy and Jenkins are all good young players who are still showing signs of improvement. I think RGIII needs a change of scenery before he shows any improvement if at all.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are not all stars but most of those guys are solid starting players.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh don't get me wrong, we got killed on the deal. But it ain't no Hershell Walker deal, at least not yet, as some people have declared.

Still I'll go to my grave defending the move. All you have to do is look at the Colts and the Rams to see how 1 player can turn around a team. My team dared to be great, just didn't happen. Meanwhile the other team stockpiled players taken with high picks for 3 years now and is still looking for their first winning season.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both QBs are injured, so it just boils down to Chip liking Bradford more than Foles, and thinks he can work with him, if his knee is OK. Chip didn't feel Foles can run his offense, and not just not being mobile, but making quick decisions and having a quick release. So, if he doesn't trade Bradford, which I don't think he will (Demarco would feel betrayed for one), Sam is the guy. If he does trade him, then Chip drafts his QB of the future, whether it is MM, Hundley, Grayson, Bennett, etc.

I think the Eagles are going to regret not drafting Brett Hundley.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams, Nick Foles trying to work out long-term contract before 2015 NFL season - Bleeding Green Nation

I was expecting that the Rams would be looking to extend Foles. Its fairly common practice to extend and pay a starter in the final year of his contract. Especially when they are making well below starter salary. It should be interesting to see what the numbers turn out to be.

This evens the field as far as the value of the trade. Going in, it looked one sided financially as Bradford was at $13M and Foles at $1.5M. But the new contract should even out those numbers and could result in the finances of the deal actually favoring the Eagles end. The key to that is the signing bonus size and guarantee. If they are committing multiple years and say over $20M guaranteed to Foles, then I would suggest that I would rather have Bradford at one year and $13M than Foles.

Of course the Eagles could end up extending Bradford as well, although given his current and past salaries, I don't think there is the same interest in doing that. He is fairly paid this year, has money in the bank, and is willing to let the year play out and see how it goes.

If they are committing multiple years and say over $20M guaranteed to Foles, then I would suggest that I would rather have Bradford at one year and $13M than Foles. Less financial risk there, although if successful, Bradford will most likely end up costing more. But you pay for what you get. The risk with Foles is that you may be paying for mediocrity. I suspect he will play well enough to justify the contract, but may be less likely to be great. Meanwhile, if Bradford doesn't pan out, they can move on easier.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The value of the trade will be determined when these people actually play football, not based on salary cap numbers.

I still think we got hosed, but we will see what happens with these QBs in the next few years, who turns out to be better (and healthier).