• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Penguins GNT/GDT week 2 (Oct 12 - Oct 18)

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the schedulers help give the Pens 2 wins by having them play teams on back to back nights! Thanx!

This team blows

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the schedulers help give the Pens 2 wins by having them play teams on back to back nights! Thanx!

This team blows

Dumb argument, teams play back to back all the time, and there is little effect on win/loss on the 2nd game, when controlled for team quality.

Pens won because they played better than Ott and Tor. Not that they played well though.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty crazy that Geno was goal less for 18 consecutive games before the OTT game.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How long will Skid go scoreless to start the season?

And don't give me this BS about playing back to back...

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How long will Skid go scoreless to start the season?

And don't give me this BS about playing back to back...

Well it's not bs, but I wouldn't expect you to buy it anyway.

Next time the Pens lose back to back, and you're out here with the regular cynicism, I'll remember to tell you "it's back to back, not the Pens fault!"

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty crazy that Geno was goal less for 18 consecutive games before the OTT game.

I don't put much stock in taking statistics from the previous season/playoffs, and wrapping it into this one. I mean, Scuderi and Lovejoy were skating as the second pair of defensemen for the last 8-10 games of the season and the playoffs. It's a wonder they managed to score any goals.

I've said it a bunch of times, but I think patience is what's needed right now. I'm not excusing the lack of goal-scoring, but I think the familiarity on all four lines is going to take some time. At least they're not giving up a ton of goals while this drought of scoring continues, even if that's mostly credited to Fleury.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't put much stock in taking statistics from the previous season/playoffs, and wrapping it into this one. I mean, Scuderi and Lovejoy were skating as the second pair of defensemen for the last 8-10 games of the season and the playoffs. It's a wonder they managed to score any goals.

I've said it a bunch of times, but I think patience is what's needed right now. I'm not excusing the lack of goal-scoring, but I think the familiarity on all four lines is going to take some time. At least they're not giving up a ton of goals while this drought of scoring continues, even if that's mostly credited to Fleury.

I agree, assuming they don't fall off a cliff a la the Blue Jackets this year.

The team has such roster turnover year after year, and the coaching has been average at best, I'm getting a bit worried, but willing to give them time to gel.

Read this article today, don't know how reliable the info, but it was interesting, and very specific. They look like a team that has been playing tight since them middle of last year.

Pittsburgh Penguins: 'Paranoid' Ownership Causing Sidney Crosby To Struggle, Per Report

"But I just remember two years ago, when Brooks Orpik left the Penguins and he went to Washington, one of the things he said was it had stopped being fun playing there," Friedman said.

"And I just remember he said that, and I asked a couple of his teammates about it. They wouldn't go on the record and they hemmed and hawed a bit, but they said, 'He's not wrong.'"

Friedman believes much of that came from a "paranoid" Penguins organization that currently has their sights set both on another Cup run and a potential sale of the franchise.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, assuming they don't fall off a cliff a la the Blue Jackets this year.

The team has such roster turnover year after year, and the coaching has been average at best, I'm getting a bit worried, but willing to give them time to gel.

Read this article today, don't know how reliable the info, but it was interesting, and very specific. They look like a team that has been playing tight since them middle of last year.

Pittsburgh Penguins: 'Paranoid' Ownership Causing Sidney Crosby To Struggle, Per Report

Will the Penguins continue to suffer from the lack of secondary scoring that plagued them in recent years and, even with Daniel Sprong's rapid development, remain unable to roll lines against the league's best teams, especially if Malkin, Crosby and Kessel continue on together?

I pulled this from the article you linked, El. Some of what was in there was good information, but this quote is flawed. It wasn't from a lack of secondary scoring that plagued them in recent years in the post-season. If anything, that was a positive. Guys like Comeau and Sutter were making contributions on the scoresheet. It was the lack of primary scoring from the top two lines.

But, I have to say one other thing. In that article it talks about Oprik's quote on how it supposedly wasn't any fun to play in Pittsburgh. If that's the case, and these guys are struggling because of a perceived lack of enjoyment in doing their jobs as hockey players.... wow! I'm at a loss for words. You play a damn game to make a living. Grow a pair and get back to it. I'm sure Magnitogorsk could always use another miner swinging a pick ax, or Cole Harbour could use another deck hand on the fishing fleet. I mean, really? No fun?

That's hyperbole, obviously, but the point I'm trying to make is if that is indeed still true, even with a complete staffing change with Bylsma and Shero being shown the door, then maybe it is time to ship one of the two centers to 'greener pastures'.

I don't believe that, though. I could see it maybe being true during Dan Bylsma's last run. The amount of pressure that guy was under to win probably did make that locker room an uncomfortable environment. He's gone, though. And so is his staff. That quote from Orpik is two years old and a regime change ago.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Yeah I find that BS that it wasn't fun anymore. Maybe that was Orpik just talking as one reason why he left, not fun for him.

Anyway: The Inside Scoop: Dupuis Practices
Positive news curious to see what will happen with his return, who sits? I HOPE it is not Sprong.

Also I would like to see a swap of Hornqvist with Crosby, then Kessel with Malkin. Hornqvist and Crosby already played well together and I have feeling Kessel and Malkin will gel pretty easily.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Yeah I find that BS that it wasn't fun anymore. Maybe that was Orpik just talking as one reason why he left, not fun for him.

Anyway: The Inside Scoop: Dupuis Practices
Positive news curious to see what will happen with his return, who sits? I HOPE it is not Sprong.

Also I would like to see a swap of Hornqvist with Crosby, then Kessel with Malkin. Hornqvist and Crosby already played well together and I have feeling Kessel and Malkin will gel pretty easily.

I agree, D. Would like to see what Kessel could do with Malkin. I think those two play a more similar game. Both like the perimeter and the rush with speed. Sid and Hornqvist are more straight line guys who like to be with 10-15 feet of the crease.

Might be a bit early, yet. I am willing to see Sid and Phil get a few more games under their belts before making any changes, though.

On another note, I cannot believe the rancor that is out there with the Pens! Wow, are people being super pessimistic about them through the first five games. I'm not excusing the lack of scoring, but damn! There are so many new players on this team trying to find themselves. Give it like 15-20 games before people are ready to fire the coach, trade Malkin and bring up Murray.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree way too early for doom and gloom, these things take time with that much change.

And the whole "bring up Murray"....that one is too funny are the folks who truly want than actually watch Penguin games right now? MAF IS the MVP of this team so far.
Crosby will get points it will happen, great players have slumps, it happens the only reason this one is glaring it starts a season but if in the middle somewhere no one would even notice.