• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 IMPLOSION

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things I'm starting to hear.

Nobody has talked yet in detail about all the PAC partnered bowls going into 2024. Rose Bowl, Vegas, Holiday, etc...
What the hell happens to them with no PAC12.

Seems to be some talk of the rest of the 4 PAC teams and the MWC merging into an at least 16 team conference cause you know that more domino drops are coming the other conferences as well.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things I'm starting to hear.

Nobody has talked yet in detail about all the PAC partnered bowls going into 2024. Rose Bowl, Vegas, Holiday, etc...
What the hell happens to them with no PAC12.

Seems to be some talk of the rest of the 4 PAC teams and the MWC merging into an at least 16 team conference cause you know that more domino drops are coming the other conferences as well.

It would be smart for them to merge under the PAC banner. From what I've read and heard, the PAC won't lose it's P5 status. At least not right away.

Some teams would have a chance at the playoff that wouldn't otherwise.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be smart for them to merge under the PAC banner. From what I've read and heard, the PAC won't lose it's P5 status. At least not right away.

Some teams would have a chance at the playoff that wouldn't otherwise.
That was my question, whenever the remaining PAC teams hook up with the MWC, which conference name gets used? Helluva way for Wyoming and Hawaii to get into the PAC

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad for the loss of the PAC-12, but in the end this was the fault of leadership.

Even if the television deal that the PAC-12 was given matched what UW would get in the B1G, I'd still prefer to play in the B1G. From my perspective as a UW fan, we're joining what is now arguably the best conference in the country.

My heart really does go out to OSU and WSU fans though. Their athletic budgets are completely fucked now.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry Scott and the USC AD are both primarily to blame for this.

I'm still trying to get through the shock of all this. Can't believe what happened to this conference. I'm just utterly in shock.
Just be happy we didn't end up having to go independent, stay in this sinking conference or join the Big 12.

Sadly this was the best possible scenario for UW and I'm excited for the future.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my question, whenever the remaining PAC teams hook up with the MWC, which conference name gets used? Helluva way for Wyoming and Hawaii to get into the PAC
Talk about Stanford and Cal receiving a much overdue humbling. They for years blocked any attempts to grow the conference because the potential schools weren't up to their academic and same political beliefs or had religious aspects to their administration. At the same time, they're stadiums were increasingly having lower attendance, and put more emphasis on supporting women's and the Olympic sports. Going to be very interesting what they end up with.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just be happy we didn't end up having to go independent, stay in this sinking conference or join the Big 12.

Sadly this was the best possible scenario for UW and I'm excited for the future.
I wish the PAC could of found a way to survive and prosper. But agreed that Big10 was the best alternative situation for this program and it protects our ability to recruit, keeps our games on the major networks, keeps the UW brand growing on the national stage, and will still be looking to have Ducks, UCLA, and USC on our schedules each year which makes travel a bit easier.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, we will be fine. With Oregon and Washington going to the B1G we still have as good of a shot as they do to make a playoff. The Pac 12 Apple deal is less money but a better deal than relying on ESPN and Fox to not go bankrupt. Exhibit A is the NFL signing a guaranteed deal with YouTube and Amazon because they know NBC and Paramount are the only two viable linear television stations and neither are going to give Monopoly money the way Disney and Fox are.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, we will be fine. With Oregon and Washington going to the B1G we still have as good of a shot as they do to make a playoff. The Pac 12 Apple deal is less money but a better deal than relying on ESPN and Fox to not go bankrupt. Exhibit A is the NFL signing a guaranteed deal with YouTube and Amazon because they know NBC and Paramount are the only two viable linear television stations and neither are going to give Monopoly money the way Disney and Fox are.

LOL

Tritonboat71

50-55-56-74-75-85-00
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The vast majority of people consume college football on linear TV.

ESPN and Fox aren’t going anywhere.

The world’s largest streaming service, NETFLIX, has zero desire to get into live sports for good reason. The technology isn’t there yet. Just look at the subpar numbers for the NFL’s Thursday night games.

The product doesn’t remotely match Sunday or Monday Nights numbers.

Streaming services for a conference that already gets less eyeballs than the other P5 conferences wasn’t gonna survive on a streaming service only.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Some very good information here that paints a fuller picture of why the deal fell through. Especially those morons
blaming Wash or Oregon for the PACs demise.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The vast majority of people consume college football on linear TV.

ESPN and Fox aren’t going anywhere.

The world’s largest streaming service, NETFLIX, has zero desire to get into live sports for good reason. The technology isn’t there yet. Just look at the subpar numbers for the NFL’s Thursday night games.

The product doesn’t remotely match Sunday or Monday Nights numbers.

Streaming services for a conference that already gets less eyeballs than the other P5 conferences wasn’t gonna survive on a streaming service only.
That “vast” is vastly overstated. By the next B1G contract it at best will be 50%. I can’t remember cause I don’t care but I think it’s 2029 for the next one? The most corporatized professional sports leagues’ business model firmly shows they believes linear television is nothing by 2029. The NFL’s has chosen streaming as their number 1 revenue stream. They signed a long term linear deal, which means they know they are useless otherwise a multi billion dollar corporation would have signed a much shorter deal. If you have confidence in your product, you do not sign a long term contract unless you don’t have faith in your partner. The NBA has already chosen streaming domestically and has chosen a foreign market to be their primary source.

ESPN and Fox are both coffins on roller skates. If ESPN was so viable Disney would’ve easily sold them by now, and Fox has been shedding contracts like nobodies business. The B1G and SEC will be fine once television is 100% gone, but sports primary visual revenue source will be streaming by 2030.

Netflix has zero desire to get into live sports is like me saying Washington State has zero desire to join the SEC. Netflix is nothing compared to Peacock, Paramount nor Max, but none of them are remotely close to Apple nor Amazon. Apple and Amazon may be inferior at the moment with production but they can afford to be unlike Netflix which is why they haven’t gotten in on the game.

My argument, which you disagree with is the“eyeballs” is different than your “eyeballs” which is why Apple and Amazon are getting into live sports. Markets don’t matter, subscribers are and that is how it is going to be. Alabama fans will have to subscribe to get their games just like their alumni had to start paying more for athletes than a much bigger market and more wealthier base of Texas A&M.

I was not trying to imply the Pac 12 would’ve survived on streaming alone. They would’ve survived had they not tried the whole equality bullshit. Football and men’s basketball are more important than women’s sports and men’s Olympic sports. The Pac 12 chose to try to sell their football and basketball rights with those other sports, and that is why it failed. The Pac 12 had more “eyeballs” than the SEC or ACC combined.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Stanford Fan, Stanford really shit the bed when it came to this. They have no where to go and no one wants them. It all goes back to poor play the last few years. Just 5 years ago the SEC or the Big 10/16 would have loved to have them in their conference. Now no one gives a shit

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then there we're two....

Beavs and Cougs to Big12 seems like best option.
Or MWC which will provide both schools with a serious financial downgrade and recruiting downgrade as well.

Unreal.