• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Overrated QB's

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why all the hate on Lynn Swann? The guy had a touchdown in three of the four Super Bowl's he played in, and not only was he a dangerous deep threat throughout his career, but he was also a very good punt returner.

At the time of his retirement after the '82 season, these were the Super Bowl records he held:

• [1st] Most Receptions, Career - 16
• [1st] Most Receiving Yards, Career - 364
• [1st] Most Receiving Yards, Game - 161 (Super Bowl X)
• [1st] Highest Punt Return Average, Game – 11.3 (Super Bowl IX)
• [Tied for 1st] Most Touchdown Receptions, Career - 3
• [2nd] Highest Average Per Reception, Career - 22.8
• [2nd] Most Combined Net Yards, Career - 391
• [Tied for 2nd] Most Touchdowns, Career - 3

(Mind you, the man who would later break many of the above records was Jerry Rice)

His all-time career post-season numbers:

16 games, 48 receptions, 900 yards, 9TD's

You'll be hard pressed to find many NFL receivers with those kind of quality post-season statistics

Anybody who puts together those kind of plays on the greatest stage of his sport definitely does not deserve the moniker of overrated. Is he one of the top ten or even twenty-five wide receivers to ever play the game?

Probably not.

Did he crush every opportunity he had when the games had the most meaning.. i.e. The Super Bowl

Damn right

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ dumb post. Tarkenton, Elway, Namath, and Swann are all HOFers.

Posting nonsense on the internet is apparently overrated by those who choose to do so, however.

HOFers can't be overrated?

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this modern era of offense advantageous rules all QBs are overrated. Dan Marino's record stands for 27 years and now it has been broken 4 times (Manning just broke it today with a game to play) and 9 of the top 12 passing yard per season records were in 2011 or later.

That is about to be more ridiculous because Brees is going to make it 10 of the top 13 and Stafford has an outside shot to make it 11 of 14.

NorthernLights88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson was never given a shot. He was better than Favre at that point.
TJax was never given a shot... c'mon, man. He was handed the team in 2007, sucked, and once again given the keys to a Mercedes in '08 and blew it to the point of Minnesota having to give up on him early in the year. Yes, Jackson had a couple of moments against shitty teams, but he sucked on the whole. Remember who else said Jackson "never got a shot"? Seattle. They ended up letting him go, then he went to Buffalo, where he also failed, and is now back in Seattle as Russell Wilson's backup, I believe. Jackson had work ethic and seemed like a good guy, but he never was, and never will be an NFL starting caliber QB. He's a decent backup at the very best. Prime TJax might make a good waterboy for prime Favre, nothing more. Hell, I'd bet good money that Favre, currently at age 44, would still outplay TJax at 30.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Vikes fan I wanna start by saying Fran Tarkenton was overrated. Look at his playoff and Super Bowl numbers.

Most overrated QB of all time is John Elway, I can't for the life of me understand why people have him in their top 10. His numbers aren't good at all until TD arrived and he sucked in the Super Bowl when he didn't have TD.

Joe Namath for obvious reasons is also way overrated...

I might start a WR overrated thread because Lynn Swann should be talked about too...

Elway is an obvious #1 on this list. After that I would go with Moon.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TJax was never given a shot... c'mon, man. He was handed the team in 2007, sucked, and once again given the keys to a Mercedes in '08 and blew it to the point of Minnesota having to give up on him early in the year. Yes, Jackson had a couple of moments against shitty teams, but he sucked on the whole. Remember who else said Jackson "never got a shot"? Seattle. They ended up letting him go, then he went to Buffalo, where he also failed, and is now back in Seattle as Russell Wilson's backup, I believe. Jackson had work ethic and seemed like a good guy, but he never was, and never will be an NFL starting caliber QB. He's a decent backup at the very best. Prime TJax might make a good waterboy for prime Favre, nothing more. Hell, I'd bet good money that Favre, currently at age 44, would still outplay TJax at 30.

Favre wasn't an NFL caliber QB in NY or Minnesota either. He was a joke. A laughingstock.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Favre wasn't an NFL caliber QB in NY or Minnesota either. He was a joke. A laughingstock.

He was good with the Jets until his arm was injured and he played through it. Then he was great with the Vikes the next year... a pro bowler with a 107+ passer rating, 33 TDs and 7 picks. He was through after that, but most players are at 41. Come on, you can troll better than this.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why all the hate on Lynn Swann? The guy had a touchdown in three of the four Super Bowl's he played in, and not only was he a dangerous deep threat throughout his career, but he was also a very good punt returner.

At the time of his retirement after the '82 season, these were the Super Bowl records he held:

• [1st] Most Receptions, Career - 16
• [1st] Most Receiving Yards, Career - 364
• [1st] Most Receiving Yards, Game - 161 (Super Bowl X)
• [1st] Highest Punt Return Average, Game – 11.3 (Super Bowl IX)
• [Tied for 1st] Most Touchdown Receptions, Career - 3
• [2nd] Highest Average Per Reception, Career - 22.8
• [2nd] Most Combined Net Yards, Career - 391
• [Tied for 2nd] Most Touchdowns, Career - 3

(Mind you, the man who would later break many of the above records was Jerry Rice)

His all-time career post-season numbers:

16 games, 48 receptions, 900 yards, 9TD's

You'll be hard pressed to find many NFL receivers with those kind of quality post-season statistics

Anybody who puts together those kind of plays on the greatest stage of his sport definitely does not deserve the moniker of overrated. Is he one of the top ten or even twenty-five wide receivers to ever play the game?

Probably not.

Did he crush every opportunity he had when the games had the most meaning.. i.e. The Super Bowl

Damn right

So he averaged 3 receptions 57 yards and .57 td's per game. Yeah thats awesome. The reason he had so many records when he retired is how many other receivers to that point had played in 16 post season games?

He had a couple really good games vs the Cowboys in the Super Bowl other than that he was average at best. In his regular season career he averaged less than 3 receptions per game 47.5 yards per game and .44 td's per game. Hardly hall of fame numbers.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a joke. He was terrible. Age has no relevance to whether he made those teams worse, which he did. The Vikings would have been better off playing anyone else over Favre.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a joke. He was terrible. Age has no relevance to whether he made those teams worse, which he did. The Vikings would have been better off playing anyone else over Favre.

They went 12-4. They did better than that once in 35 years... back in 98. Don't be ridiculous. T-Jack. :laugh3: Yeah ok. Carry on.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JDM, I am glad you brought up TJ. He is à great référence as to why Wilson is not nearly as replacable as you suggest.

Carroll calls games often very close, depending on physically beating up the other team for 3 quarters, then pull away. Wilson has consistantly been able to maintain composure and make plays late to win games. TJ fucking sucked at this. Over that 2011 season, the Seahawks often put the team in position to win only to have TJ blow it in the final minutes by not being able to score with the game on the line.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depth at the position really doesn't play a role in MVP consideration, though. You're comparing them to an average player at their position.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HOFers can't be overrated?

That question highlights what I find problematic about the word "overrated", which is that applying its definition clearly depends on just who is doing the rating. Since the HOF voters who voted in Elway and Tarkenton actually watched those guys play, like I did, and they consider them both HOF worthy, like I do, I'll simply say that I find their evaluations more credible than I do those of some fans on a message board.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are plenty of hall of famers who don't deserve to be there.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people have a lot of strong opinions but nothing to back them up...other than said opinions.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't you write that Tavarus Jackson was a better QB than Brett Favre? I'll stand by my claim that the HOF voters' evaluations are more credible than those of fans on a message board.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Favre that was in Minnesota, yes. But Favre is a slightly more physically talented version of Tony Romo or Jay cutler. He would not, in his prime, be a top 5 QB today.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, like Lynn Swann, Paul Hornung & Joe Namath

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he averaged 3 receptions 57 yards and .57 td's per game. Yeah thats awesome. The reason he had so many records when he retired is how many other receivers to that point had played in 16 post season games.

Paul Warfield, Fred Biletnikoff, Drew Pearson and Cliff Branch; all guys who were of the same era as Swann, and all had more post-season appearances than him at the time of their own retirement. Only Biletnikoff had more postseason TD's (10 to Swann's 9). All of the previous mentioned had longer overall careers than Swann as well, with Swann only having nine full seasons. He was retired at age 31 due to injuries, yet he had better, or at the very least comparable post-season numbers to the previous mentioned in fewer games played.

Not quite the 'overrated' player you make him out to be. And I would venture a guess that a lot of your argument comes from recent articles from guys like Peter King who only look at regular season stats when talking about HOF worthy wide receivers, and completely throw out what that player did on the greatest stage of his profession.

It's lazy journalism, and a horse that's literally been beaten to death in assailing Swann's legacy, but one I'm used to reading by writer's who do quick regular season stat crunching to form weak opinions about a certain player.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I would venture a guess that a lot of your argument comes from recent articles from guys like Peter King who only look at regular season stats when talking about HOF worthy wide receivers, and completely throw out what that player did on the greatest stage of his profession.

Believe it or not I have always been a fan of Swann's, I just don't think he belongs in the hall of fame. It's just an opinion but I don't think someone who had a couple good games in the Super Bowl but otherwise was just an average receiver belongs in the hall. I respect your opinion though.

Do you believe Terrell Davis should be in the hall of fame?