• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Overrated QB's

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, like Lynn Swann, Paul Hornung & Joe Namath

at the time of Lynn Swann's retirement, he most definately belonged in the HOF. Comparing his numbers to WR since then is just a horrible injustice as the QB-WR combo has become the most important part of any offense now. Back then it was ground and pound and occasionally pass the ball...I am a chiefs fan but Len Dawson and Terry Bradshaw had rag arms compared to all of todays QBs.

The only offensive positions that could be compared in equally in era's, offensive lineman and running backs.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe it or not I have always been a fan of Swann's, I just don't think he belongs in the hall of fame. It's just an opinion but I don't think someone who had a couple good games in the Super Bowl but otherwise was just an average receiver belongs in the hall. I respect your opinion though.

Do you believe Terrell Davis should be in the hall of fame?

Most productive consecutive four seasons of any RB in league history. 30 belongs and I'm sure he'll get in.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TD is more deserving than Elway IMO.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TD is more deserving than Elway IMO.

Interesting as that opinion might be to some, as I mentioned before, I find the HOF voters' opinions more credible than that of someone on a message board. There is room for both 7 and 30, and both clearly belong.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway only makes it because being a SB winning QB makes you pretty much a lock unless you are Tim Tebow bad.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting as that opinion might be to some, as I mentioned before, I find the HOF voters' opinions more credible than that of someone on a message board. There is room for both 7 and 30, and both clearly belong.

Hall of fame voters clearly let emotion come into play when they vote, they could hate a player deserving and not vote for him and they could have had great experiences with a player not deserving and vote him in. So the system can be flawed.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hall of fame voters clearly let emotion come into play when they vote, they could hate a player deserving and not vote for him and they could have had great experiences with a player not deserving and vote him in. So the system can be flawed.

I suppose that is sometimes a factor in a how a voter or two votes, but I doubt that is anywhere near as much a factor as how well guys actually played on the field during their careers. For example, I suspect that First Team All-Pro selections, League MVP awards, SB MVP awards, and generally playing at a high level throughout a player's career affects voting far more than does a voter's "emotion" or bias in determining who gets in. In any event, anyone who watched either 7 or 30 play his entire career and deems either unworthy of the HOF is too "emotional" or simply wrong headed.

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Elway only makes it because being a SB winning QB makes you pretty much a lock unless you are Tim Tebow bad.

not really, there are plenty of very good, not great QB's that have rings that will never get a sniff at the HOF and rightfully so. Elway deserves to be in there even though I agree that he is rated by many on the all-time great lists too high.

StoningtonQB

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of these posts are absolutely ridiculous. Elway and Favre are overrated? Are some of you too young to remember how good they were and didn't watch them play? Elway was always a great QB and was a lock for the HOF. Winning a SB was just the cherry on the sundae. And Favre... not only was he Pro Bowl for 11 seasons and a SB champ, he was arguably the best 2-minute drill QB in the history of the game. Favre owned the 2-minute drill the way Dennis Rodman owned rebounding in the NBA.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway was always a great QB and was a lock for the HOF.

No he wasn't and you are probably right. He probably makes the hall because of a couple memorable games but he didn't become a lock until TD arrived. But he was not always great, it seems you would be old enough to remember Super Bowls against the Redskins and 49ers. Two of the worst games in Super Bowl history.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eye-test rating is overrated. Whose eye, the fan's eye? LOL. Most fans are drunk when they are watching games + the homer factor = eye test sucks.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Bump for Brett Favre.

Here are some of the most overrated QBs in my lifetime:

Brett Favre. The interception champion pissed away far more potential wins than he did winning the game single-handedly.

Cam Newton. How someone whose career has been almost identical to Colin Kaepernick's in terms of efficiency and team success can be considered an elite QB is beyond insane. :what:

Donnovan McNabb. He was the Alex Smith of the early '00s in terms of how mediocre he was, but he got to the pro bowl every friggn' year over guys who consistently outperformed him. This isn't to say he was terrible, but the dude was never anything special. He had one really good year (so did Trent Dilfer), and that was the only time you saw any greatness.

John Elway. What, you say? Yes. Elway. I crunched the numbers, and John Elway was actually BELOW AVERAGE for NFL QBs in terms of passer rating, yards per attempt and completion percentage. Elway is far closer to a guy like Troy Aikman than he is a guy like Peyton Manning. Postseason success: check. Clean, consistent, efficient QB play? Not really.

Michael Vick. Like Favre, his stretches of brilliance make everyone forget how s**tty he played the rest of the time. Pro bowls almost every year; 1 year where he deserved it. 1.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NinerSickness, didn't be tell you to not play with shovels? Now, go re-bury this thread you dug up!

izombie-marcy-inside-6501.jpg

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam Newton. How someone whose career has been almost identical to Colin Kaepernick's in terms of efficiency and team success can be considered an elite QB is beyond insane. :what:

Michael Vick. Like Favre, his stretches of brilliance make everyone forget how s**tty he played the rest of the time. Pro bowls almost every year; 1 year where he deserved it. 1.

This is what happens when nerds trying to talk sports. Calculate all you about pass ratings and what not, but after watching Kaepernick's career, and watching Cam's, you still think they are identical, than you are truly daft.

About VICK, he was the most electrifying QB we've ever seen. Am I still bitter being from Atlanta? Absolutely, but only a fool wouldn't recognize how he did things that have never been done and was just the definition of entertainment.

LaserJock

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
era's help to make or break the QB's you are talking about here the most. As the game changed...style wise....the rules changed to follow suit. I think most if not all of the QB's listed here today would have trouble in today's style of Football.

So listing QB's that are in the HOF for the era they played in as overrated isn't easy. Compare the QB's they played against as a baseline and maybe you have argument.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Elway is the most over-rated QB of all time ? :scratch: I strongly disagree, the guy led the Broncos to 5 fricking Super-Bowls.... Being a Seahawks fan I remember Elway very well in the AFC West, the guy was a pain in my #@$^ back in the day.... NOT a chance is he the most over-rated QB, that's insanity ...

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Brady

Im sure smart people have mentioned him many times alread

Desean12345

#What is Hashtag?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope there is mention of Terry Bradshaw who is actually the most overrated QB of all time.

Elway is one of the greatest ab's ever. Top 5 at least.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
This is what happens when nerds trying to talk sports. Calculate all you about pass ratings and what not, but after watching Kaepernick's career, and watching Cam's, you still think they are identical, than you are truly daft.

As opposed to your NFL-head-coach credentials? :noidea:

Both have won a lot of games & had some playoff success; both lost a SB. Newton has a career 88.3 passer rating; Colin has 88.5. Colin's TD / INT ratio is much better; Cam's had more success running the ball (which never lasts very long unless you're also a truly efficient passer like Steve Young or Aaron Rodgers). Both had 2 seasons where you can say they were great, and the rest was "meh."

Kaepernick is a mediocre QB. He's had an almost identical career to Cam. Cam is the most overrated player in the NFL right now.

About VICK, he was the most electrifying QB we've ever seen. Am I still bitter being from Atlanta? Absolutely, but only a fool wouldn't recognize how he did things that have never been done and was just the definition of entertainment.

And this is why you don't understand football. You get star struck by the "electric" play, but you forget about all the s**tty play. Vick had stretches of amazing football, but it never lasted for very long because defenses adjusted. And the guy was a fumble machine (and injury prone because his college-style play got him blown up in the NFL).