• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Overrated QB's

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you can't be overrated unless you have pro bowl receivers? Steve Watson, Mark Jackson & Vance Johnson weren't horrible.

they weren't great either & before you throw some stat up there. My belief is they got those stats because of John Elway. John Elway didnt have a true #1 WR like most of the QBs that get mentioned in the great category. I understand your debate on Elway. I just disagree with it. Like I said earlier. I think he almost landed on the underrated category for his career.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they weren't great either & before you throw some stat up there. My belief is they got those stats because of John Elway. John Elway didnt have a true #1 WR like most of the QBs that get mentioned in the great category. I understand your debate on Elway. I just disagree with it. Like I said earlier. I think he almost landed on the underrated category for his career.

I don't think he would have been considered underrated. Had he not gotten Terrell Davis and won back-to-back SB's, he may have indeed been considered overrated. In your earlier post I didn't quite understand what you were saying about Marino.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From his rookie year until age 34 he had two seasons of 20+ TD's. He had as many INT's as TD's five times in his career. Comp% 56.9. Was 7 - 6 in playoff games prior to Terrell Davis 7 - 1 with TD. He was absolutely horrible in the Super Bowl, his performance in Super Bowls against the Redskins and 49ers are two or the worst performances in the history of the league. To say he is underrated is insane.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they weren't great either

I don't understand this logic, being he didn't have "great" receivers he cant be considered overrated?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he would have been considered underrated. Had he not gotten Terrell Davis and won back-to-back SB's, he may have indeed been considered overrated. In your earlier post I didn't quite understand what you were saying about Marino.

someone earlier listed Marino as overrated. That to me is the most absurd thing I have read on here.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway had one helluva(n) arm.

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are old enough to have talked about greatest QB's of all time 20 years ago, Tarkenton's name was mentioned in all lists, fact is the Vikes won because of the defense and he never once lead the team to a meaningful win.

so...this thread is 20 years late

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved that the original Tecmo gave the 9ers 3 passing plays and only 1 running. I loved passing the ball in that game.

And don't forget about the Nigerian Nightmare. Dude couldn't be tackled.

Steve Atwater disagrees

Last edited by a moderator:

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okoye would just tap into another player and they would bounce across the field. That always made me laugh. I remember playing with Buffalo and playing one of my friends who was using the Giants. He was up by 6 and the game was almost over. Obviously there was no high stepping or celebrating. I broke a run with Thurman Thomas and decided to stop at the goal long for a second to gloat. Guess what? One of his players hit me out of nowhere and I fumbled the ball and lost. The clock hit ZERO right after he recovered the fumble.

Lol, we still talk about that game.

lol, i did something just like that trying to run the last few seconds off the clock

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fran was not overrated, you don't go to that many super bowls because your overrated. He was the NFC version of Bradshaw and in the 70s thats what elite qb's looked like, you have to compare eras with them. Sure they had great Ds...and because the TEAM was good all around they had good teams.

Namath because of the hype he himself created of being an all time great before his 2nd year in the league and it didn't happen.

Lynn Swann not overrated...he was an acrobat trying to get throws from the fish arm of Bradshaw, Swann worked for every catch he got.

Elway i struggle with, he couldn't win a SB until TD got there...many QB's get teams to playoffs, hell Dilfer got his team to the playoffs and won a SB...If it came down to it...I would actually say Marino was more overrated than Elway, how Marino couldn't win a SB is beyond me...and he had all kinds of different supporting areas...if you want to talk about elite QB's being overrated, look at Marino first...underrated Fouts...

:burt:

NorthernLights88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Vikes fan I wanna start by saying Fran Tarkenton was overrated. Look at his playoff and Super Bowl numbers.

Most overrated QB of all time is John Elway, I can't for the life of me understand why people have him in their top 10. His numbers aren't good at all until TD arrived and he sucked in the Super Bowl when he didn't have TD.

Joe Namath for obvious reasons is also way overrated...

I might start a WR overrated thread because Lynn Swann should be talked about too...

This day in age, Tarkenton is not currently overrated. He's never brought up in conversations with the likes of Montana, Marino, Peyton Manning, etc. The only time Tarkenton is really mentioned in terms of all-time greats these days is in terms of scrambling QBs. Therefor, I don't think you can really say he's overrated. I was too young to remember anything about it 20 years ago, so maybe he was overrated years ago, but he's not anymore.

I also never understood why people like to rag on Elway so much. Would I call him top 5, no. But I do think he's top 10. Yeah yeah, he never won a Superbowl without Terrel Davis, but as you've said yourself, football is a team sport. I mean, he did make it to 3 other Superbowls without Davis, then won 2 with him. Do you think Joe Montana would have the same successes and number of rings in San Fransisco without Jerry Rice and the other greats he played with? I can however agree with Namath.

Most overrated QB of all time is Troy Aikman. Give a guy like Elway the teams Aikman played with in Dallas, and I guarantee Elway has more than just his 2 rings.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think Joe Montana would have the same successes and number of rings in San Fransisco without Jerry Rice and the other greats he played with?

Yes, he won as many Championships without Rice as he did with him.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give a guy like Elway the teams Aikman played with in Dallas, and I guarantee Elway has more than just his 2 rings.

Proves nothing, There are a bunch of QB's who could have won with the Cowboys team.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will admit I might have gone a little overboard with the Tark talk, I was reading some stuff on line and hated that he did so little in the Super Bowls the Vikes were in...

NorthernLights88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he won as many Championships without Rice as he did with him.

You seem to be ignoring the fact that I didn't just include Rice, but the fact that those Montana teams were stacked in general in San Fran.

NorthernLights88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Proves nothing, There are a bunch of QB's who could have won with the Cowboys team.

I'd honestly say it's straight up delusional to think that Elway wasn't significantly better than Troy Aikman. Again, I'm not claiming Elway to be the GOAT or anything, but he was an all-time great. I'd definitely put him in the top 10.