• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our Texas Rangers against the Oakland A's 9/2 -9/4

Sexy

Emotion in Motion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hype machine tells us Darvish is an ace. Unfortunately, the hype machine is usually wrong.

No "ace" throws up 6 walks and pitches like that in the biggest game of the year. Maybe if everyone stopped crowning the guy everytime they say his name, he could actually go out there and earn the title. What a novel idea.
Holland has been our ace for this season. And right now, I'd have Perez ahead of Darvish too. That's probably not as much a knock on Yu as it is a compliment to Martin.

Darvish looked really bad today, no doubt about that. But since 8/30 in 10 games, he's 5-5, but 4 of the 5 loses were low scoring, one run games and his ERA is well below 3.

I guess King Felix, who gave up 8 ER in 3 innings pitched this season on 8/17, isn't an ace either.
The real 'novel idea' is the entire ace concept along with everyone who uses that term like there's no tomorrow.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltre slumped for the entire month of August last year. Luckily, Hamilton came alive a little that month, before he fell off the earth again....(and never returned)

These are two of my top guys, but Beltre is prone, just like any other player to get cold.
Am I going to worry about either at this point?
not yet.
I would grant that Kinsler would have an edge on the concern if it comes to that, but that's without running any numbers

this team just doesn't have a good core. iif Beltre and Kins drop off there is no one left to pick up the team. I like Pierzynski, Rios and Moreland but they just don't provide the kind of support that we need when Beltre ad Kins are off. this off-season we need to address our offensive woes while not ignoring the pitching.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't pitch well today and imo should have been pulled earlier, but your post is a bit of silliness.

My only concern is there is not some communication problem with Yu/AJ and Maddux
which I mentioned during Yu's last start

I'm glad you brought up the "communications" aspect. I've wondered same. Darvish and AJ didn't seem to have any common ground today at all. I've also wondered why we haven't gone to a Yu/Soto battery. That worked really well last season.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Darvish blow late leads in his 2 starts before today? And combine that with today's outing and he's really been struggling. The walk-HR combo is killing him. Like I've always said, I like Darvish. But his walk totals are abysmal and his results of late are really concerning.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'm not faulting Darvish alone. The Rangers offense has sucked just about the whole season. Worst offense for Texas in 20 years. And you can't expect him to hold every opponent to 2 or less every outing. Even Kershaw got tagged the other night for 5 runs and he's the best in baseball. The difference: Dodgers have an offense. We don't.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'm not faulting Darvish alone. The Rangers offense has sucked just about the whole season. Worst offense for Texas in 20 years. And you can't expect him to hold every opponent to 2 or less every outing. Even Kershaw got tagged the other night for 5 runs and he's the best in baseball. The difference: Dodgers have an offense. We don't.

Yeah I hear. Darvish is now 0-5 against the A's - think that's right - lifetime. If you want to be considered one of the best, you've got to step up against them and not hammer the disAstro's who have one of the worst teams in the majors over the past 25 years.

I know we've played well since Cruz got suspended, but maybe that's catching up with us now too.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Rev,
Some Sabermetric considerations on bunting with runners on 1st/2nd
------------------------------------------
The most fruitful situation for bunting comes from advancing runners on first and second to second and third. The WPAs are described in the table below, along with looking at different run environments. For reference, 4.5/game is about the MLB average now.

Qv8ai_medium

These results show that bunting may be a viable strategy with runners on first and second, especially with a good bunter. Remember that we did these calculations only for the 9th inning though, and with the score tied. The numbers change when the bunting team is down a run, and it turns out that bunting is not quite as effective in this situation, but still viable.

So what can we conclude from this WPA analysis? In the proper run environment, that is, with strong pitching or weak hitting, a bunt may be a viable option. Also, it its most effective with runners on first and second, although this has been known for some time.

source
A Sabermetric View of Bunting - Bless You Boys

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darvish is 1-5 lifetime vs A's with a 4.86 era giving up almost 2 HRs/9 inn

Against everyone else he is 27-11 with a 3.26 era giving up less than 1 hr/9 inn.

So yeah, pretty much his kryptonite.

When the A's come to Arlington, be best if Darvish misses them.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Rangers skip the 5th starter next week, Darvish gets the series finale with Oakland. If we stay with a 5 man rotation, Darvish misses them.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darvish is 1-5 lifetime vs A's with a 4.86 era giving up almost 2 HRs/9 inn

Against everyone else he is 27-11 with a 3.26 era giving up less than 1 hr/9 inn.

So yeah, pretty much his kryptonite.

When the A's come to Arlington, be best if Darvish misses them.

I guess I slept through that one win. Seriously don't remember it.

But I do think everyone is forgetting how much offense we've lost from last season to right now. Last year, Hamilton, MY and Nap accounted for about 220 RBI. This year Cruz was on pace for an easy 100. Berkman has 34 and almost all of them coming in the first 60 days. That's one hellva lot of RBI.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't want a drawn out boorish debate about bunting with runners on first and second.

Is it right to say "I'm right, there's no debate"...and throw in "WPA"? No. That's incorrect, other factors have to be considered. see my link.

Am I right to say "it's absolutely the right call"? no, I should have said in my opinion, which I tried to clarify
as it stands right now, Sabermetrics has proven bunting is overused, but it remains unclear in some situations and still may be advantageous in those situations.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall the Rangers' pitching has been stellar this season. Its the offense that has been a no-show. And absolutely this team lost a ton of production from last year, plus now losing Cruz.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad you brought up the "communications" aspect. I've wondered same. Darvish and AJ didn't seem to have any common ground today at all. I've also wondered why we haven't gone to a Yu/Soto battery. That worked really well last season.

Soto's bat may be to blame, I don't know for sure.
and this was the 2nd game in a row that Yu and AJ did not appear to be on the same page, imo.

Today it was pretty clear something is wrong, ideally it gets worked out

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I criticize Wash a lot. But with runners on 1st and 2nd and no one out in a 1 run game, the bunt was the right call. The next 2 guys didn't do their jobs.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soto's bat may be to blame, I don't know for sure.
and this was the 2nd game in a row that Yu and AJ did not appear to be on the same page, imo.

Today it was pretty clear something is wrong, ideally it gets worked out

Soto's bat is dismal for sure. He does have some pop, and seems to get key hits. But if he makes Yu a better pitcher, and I'm not saying this as fact, but if he does, then the hell with his bat. Let's win 2-1 instead of losing 3-2.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Rev,
Some Sabermetric considerations on bunting with runners on 1st/2nd
------------------------------------------
The most fruitful situation for bunting comes from advancing runners on first and second to second and third. The WPAs are described in the table below, along with looking at different run environments. For reference, 4.5/game is about the MLB average now.

Qv8ai_medium

These results show that bunting may be a viable strategy with runners on first and second, especially with a good bunter. Remember that we did these calculations only for the 9th inning though, and with the score tied. The numbers change when the bunting team is down a run, and it turns out that bunting is not quite as effective in this situation, but still viable.

So what can we conclude from this WPA analysis? In the proper run environment, that is, with strong pitching or weak hitting, a bunt may be a viable option. Also, it its most effective with runners on first and second, although this has been known for some time.

source
A Sabermetric View of Bunting - Bless You Boys
I never argue with numbers. But think of it like this: runners on 1st and 2nd. bunt sac moves runners to 2nd and 3rd w/1 out. Two ab's = 0. Is that bad because of the bunt or from poor ab's? Now consider this: Runners on 1st and 2nd. Batter hits into DP. now 2 outs and runner on 3rd w 1 ab. Which is the best choice? I'll leave it to the experts.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soto's bat is dismal for sure. He does have some pop, and seems to get key hits. But if he makes Yu a better pitcher, and I'm not saying this as fact, but if he does, then the hell with his bat. Let's win 2-1 instead of losing 3-2.

It might be turning into a conundrum for Wash and the F.O....as well as some... of us fans

Here's what I hope, after it was obvious today, there's some sort of problem, they have a meeting and get it worked out, lay it on the table, is Yu more comfortable with Soto, if so...why? AJ's feeling going to be hurt?
I highly doubt that, he is a competitor...he's in a playoff race, just as Yu, they want to win more than anything.
I don't know if it's fair to say "it's AJ/Maddux's fault", nor is it right to say "it's Yu's fault" (speaking about the communication/disagreements)

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I criticize Wash a lot. But with runners on 1st and 2nd and no one out in a 1 run game, the bunt was the right call. The next 2 guys didn't do their jobs.

Who doesn't criticize Wash a lot? hahaha

And your point in right on.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never argue with numbers. But think of it like this: runners on 1st and 2nd. bunt sac moves runners to 2nd and 3rd w/1 out. Two ab's = 0. Is that bad because of the bunt or from poor ab's? Now consider this: Runners on 1st and 2nd. Batter hits into DP. now 2 outs and runner on 3rd w 1 ab. Which is the best choice? I'll leave it to the experts.

I think what you are saying is the exact point. You should go with the numbers, however...not every number has a clear cut answer.

IMO, it was the right call.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might be turning into a conundrum for Wash and the F.O....as well as some... of us fans

Here's what I hope, after it was obvious today, there's some sort of problem, they have a meeting and get it worked out, lay it on the table, is Yu more comfortable with Soto, if so...why? AJ's feeling going to be hurt?
I highly doubt that, he is a competitor...he's in a playoff race, just as Yu, they want to win more than anything.
I don't know if it's fair to say "it's AJ/Maddux's fault", nor is it right to say "it's Yu's fault" (speaking about the communication/disagreements)

I have no desire to lay blame. AJ having hurt feelings; now that's funny. This guy is a professional at "rubbing salt into the nearest wound" kind of guy. AJ's good, trust me. As you suggested, let's lay the cards on the table and deal with it. We're all big boys here. Everyone wants to win, right? I'm not really making a suggestion. But like you, I do notice something, and it ain't good between Yu and AJ.