• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Sharks don't invite Marleau to Camp

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to wha I heard on NHL Radio. Along with another big name but I do not remember who it was. Isn't he still under contract?

ouendan1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they're even close to looking at training camps yet. Perhaps you may have heard something from Canada's Olympic initial training camp?

They announced the skaters they are inviting to their initial Olympic camp today. Marleau is not one of them. Thornton and Couture were invited though.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't invited to Team Canada's Olympic training camp.

Marleau isn't the same player he was a few years ago and younger, better talent has emerged. It's natural, as these mainstays (Blake, Pronger, Marleau, etc.) get older, they get phased out and younger players get invited in. Just how it goes - Blake, Pronger, Neidermeyer, etc. replaced older guys before them when they were younger and it's the passing of the torch.

In regards to the NHL, Marleau is still under contract. He will be a GIII UFA next summer since he is entering the last year of his 4 year/$27.6 million deal ($6.9 million per season). I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved this year (or before the season opens), especially if SJ has a hard time cracking the playoffs closer to the trade deadline now that the conferences are realigned.