• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: NFL Draft

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah yeah I know there's a Steelers board but I don't know the people there - I know you guys...

Decastro is perfect.
First I want to say - I've been readin' and askin' and I heard a nice story about Pouncey. Apparently Gilbert was lazy last year until Pouncey got onto him about it. The things I've been hearing are making me really happy cause it sounds like Pouncey is more than a good Center. It sounds like he's a leader too.
Decastro is - from all accounts - a guy who could be a leader too. They say he 'plays angry' but they also say that he knew the playbook better than Luck. Say he went to Stanford for the academics. I keep looking for the downside and I don't see anything. One report cited the fact that he's 'not massive' as the #1 drawback.

I don't know where everyone ends up but I think that the Steelers have made major strides. I'm very happy. The second round pick - Adams - sounds like a talented guy and he might have been a first rounder if he didn't have other concerns. Can only hope for the best there. Maybe he moves Colon inside?
I think the worst case for the line is looking pretty good but there's a chance that we've established a dominant line through these draft selections. I really like the fact that Pouncey and Decastro seem to be leader types. It looks like Adams will have some good influences on the line with him and perhaps they'll all work to keep each other accountable.

The third-rounder is interesting. I heard a lot of griping from people who think that he may be too small for ILB, too slow for Safety. I think Lebeau may have decided that the game has changed enough that a guy like Spence is now necessary. You think about how many passes are thrown, the increased role of TEs. I can't help but think that Lebeau believes that a pass-cover LB with closing speed is the new 'right' way to play. In a division that includes Ray Rice and now Trent Richardson as well as all of these running QBs and four or five receiver sets - maybe he's right. We can only pray. I respect Lebeau a lot so I'm optimistic. I still wonder about what happens when we play against a big physical line, one of the bruiser running backs. Maybe he can hang.
I don't know though - it feels like one of those reaches that might not work out. Not a bad decision for a third round pick.

The one that bugs me is the fourth rounder. He seems to be a perfect fit at a position where we need a fit, but what bugs me is the story I heard about his matchup against Decastro. As much as I love the hell out of Decastro - Ta-amu got dominated in their head-to-head matchup and that's not going to be the only time that Ta-amu goes against a quality interior lineman. We don't have a use for a NT who only ties up one blocker. We have a direct measuring stick between the two players and it seems clear that Ta'amu will only have value to us if he can close the gap between him and Decastro. Ta'amu can't be the kind of guy who gets dominated by guys like Decastro or else he's a wasted draft pick.

The other guys - I don't have much to say. The RB is the type of RB I was hoping we'd add. I like that he's fast enough that he could probably line up as a WR as well. He's an interesting dual-purpose kind of player. Got to fix the fumbles though. I hate running backs who fumble.

All in all it seems like it's likely to be another quality Steelers draft. Decastro alone makes it a winner in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I have read, the knock on Adams on the football field, is that he doesn't finish plays well. He does minimum effort, and doesn't bury defenders.

I agree, the third rounder is interesting, and he could cover some TE's, but he is going to have to add some bulk, not a ton, but some. Maybe instead of going straight nickel on second down passing downs, they will have some kind of hybrid nickel/base defense, with Spence and Timmons at ILB. Don't know, but they have to have a plan for him.

Ta-amu can probably develop into a decent NT, but he won't be Casey Hampton in his prime, but he could probably be Chris Hoke in his prime.

The RB sounds like a very lite version of Percy Harvin.

I thought Toney Clemons (WR) was a great pick late, he has some good combine numbers and has some size.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I have read, the knock on Adams on the football field, is that he doesn't finish plays well. He does minimum effort, and doesn't bury defenders.

I agree, the third rounder is interesting, and he could cover some TE's, but he is going to have to add some bulk, not a ton, but some. Maybe instead of going straight nickel on second down passing downs, they will have some kind of hybrid nickel/base defense, with Spence and Timmons at ILB. Don't know, but they have to have a plan for him.

Ta-amu can probably develop into a decent NT, but he won't be Casey Hampton in his prime, but he could probably be Chris Hoke in his prime.

The RB sounds like a very lite version of Percy Harvin.

I thought Toney Clemons (WR) was a great pick late, he has some good combine numbers and has some size.

I have a feeling Pouncey will break him of that habit.

Overall, I'll call the draft a win. I'm with you on Spence, as well, Illinest. He's not a "Steeler" pick, but a lot of tight ends burned us last year, so having a guy on the field who can tail those guys is very important. I think that will hugely improve our pass defense.