• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Olympic Hockey Thread

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody............ Go Sweden?

I don't think so Pete. Canada does have Carter and Doughty and I'm not a big Lundqvist fan. Yeah he's good on the international ice where you can't get in the crease but I'm not so convinced about his play in the NHL. Besides he's a Ranger a team I dislike a lot. Of course a lot of that stems from their old coach who now resides in Vancouver. Add to that my French Canadian ancestry and although not overly pulling for Canada, I can't really pull for the Swedes. Besides they have a Sedin on their team.

Ox

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted to believe Brown was still hurt or had some lingering issues, but since he went to the Olympics that better not be the case and it is probably time to trade him.

I don't buy the injury issue any more, he looked the same prior to the injury last season.

I'm sure it's no fun playing and trying to rehab at the same time, but in that case he should have opted for surgery and a full recovery - like Williams always has - and come back better the following season. Instead he is an albatross and hurting the team more than anything. Selfish if you ask me.

I personally think his home life is what is disrupting him, every time he has a kid he goes into these prolonged slumps. I have 4 kids and believe me, sleep is an after thought, but in their case they have nannies and help where as we don't. Three kids was very manageable, anything over that in my opinion and you're really stretching it. The difference between 3 and 4 is huge, believe me - it's a lot harder than I thought. Mentally and physically the effort and energy level required exponentially increases. You flat out get way fatigued which affects all aspects of your life until those kids are about 5-6 years old each.

Dude needs to understand his play will dictate his family life - the better he plays, the less the chance he will be moved and disrupt things even more - although as a dad I know all you want to do is be around your kids when they are young.

No way Dan is coaching in the NHL if he didn't have Crosby/Malkin ect.

It's shocking if you go through the Penguins' playoff history the last 5 years and see how many choke jobs have happened with him behind the wheel. This is also twice now on an Olympic stage.

He has a really good gig in Pittsburgh but honestly is an average to below average coach.

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People not in the NHL telling NHL players how to live, lol.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to Team Canada. They did what they had to do. Albeit against an undermanned Swedish team. Still don't think the results would have been any different with all of Sweden's players healthy although the score may have been different.

Ox

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People not in the NHL telling NHL players how to live, lol.

I don't care how he lives, it's his life. I'm just making an observation being a parent of 4 myself and how it has affected my life and in some instances, my career - I can't hang out at the office until 11pm like I used to when I didn't have kids, so that means things don't get done, which means I have more work to do tomorrow, which just repeats the cycle. Eventually it catches up.

So let me ask you this: if it isn't the kids, what exactly has created teh suck known as Dustin Brown? He's nowhere near the player he was just 2 years ago. I'm curious.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to Team Canada. They did what they had to do. Albeit against an undermanned Swedish team. Still don't think the results would have been any different with all of Sweden's players healthy although the score may have been different.

Ox

I'm happy to see Carter get a Gold. His addition to the team raised a lot of eyebrows but he think he proved he was one of the best players in the tournament. He outplayed a lot of guys who were supposed to carry the load.

On a larger scale, I'm happy all the Kings are going to be coming back healthy and overall had good showings. I feel bad for Tavares and the Islanders, even though they weren't going to make the playoffs anyway.

Quick, Carter, Doughty and Kopitar definitely showed they are world class players and I feel showed the Kings have some good talent on the roster.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm happy to see Carter get a Gold. His addition to the team raised a lot of eyebrows but he think he proved he was one of the best players in the tournament. He outplayed a lot of guys who were supposed to carry the load.

On a larger scale, I'm happy all the Kings are going to be coming back healthy and overall had good showings. I feel bad for Tavares and the Islanders, even though they weren't going to make the playoffs anyway.

Quick, Carter, Doughty and Kopitar definitely showed they are world class players and I feel showed the Kings have some good talent on the roster.

you forgot Brown. lol
I know he has been sucking hard for a long while but he was third leading scorer, had the highest shooting percentage on the team and was rewarded with less ice time in the later games. The more Brown was on the ice the better the results were.
While all what I said is true. He also made more than a few stupid plays and earned his benching, but he wasn't the biggest liability on that team.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you forgot Brown. lol

And Voynov too - both deliberately - because I don't feel they were impact players consistently enough on their respective teams. Voynoy has taken a step back in LA too, I don't see him making a huge difference like he did last season or the Cup season, the Kings really need him to step back up too.

Brown had his moments, but I saw a lot of stuff that just made me scratch my head. On one particular play (can't remember which team) he is just coasting back and the forward goes in and scores on Quick. There was zero back check although it looked like he could have gotten there.

My personal belief is Brown did not deserve to be on Team USA, especially over a guy like say Okposo, but that's on Poile and the GMs for trying to relive 1980 instead of giving the team the best chance to win.

Brown has been shitty for two straight seasons now, but seems to get a pass constantly- why? I would like to know the answer to that with clear cut proof and examples. I have yet to receive any that aren't dated pre-2012.

This is the "mythical reputation" I talked about earlier in this thread, especially if you watch/listen to broadcasters back East, they truly don't know how average he is. I think that luster is wearing off though, he is getting called more and more for penalties that he didn't in the past and under the gun a lot more from referees.

I still don't think he is a dirty player, and people who say that are usually fans of teams with a player he was involved with (except ex-King Garry Galley - anyone hear the radio spot where he lumped Brown in with the 8 dirtiest players in the NHL? I mean with guys like Kaleta, Torres, etc.? But a guy like Shane Doan is considered clean? Makes no sense to me. This was back in early October I think when Lapierre, a true giant vag, injured Dan Boyle on a dirty hit) but he isn't even hitting these days.

Dude has got to go. He's been with the Kings 11 years and did his job, move him while you can before the contract really screws stuff up down the road.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After remembering the Galley quote I did a You Tube search for Galley when he was a King and then went through some old name defenders, landing on Charlie Huddy.

If you haven't seen this, you are about to die laughing.

Charlie Huddy Sucks - YouTube

DOD0083

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind seeing him sent back to his home state in a package deal for Callahan and Girardi. Maybe something along these lines:

Brown and Muzzin for Callahan and Girardi.

Haven't looked at cap hits but on the surface I like it, not sure if it's enough to get it done or not though.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like both NY players but both will be GIII UFAs this summer. The Rangers would be getting two guys under contract until at least 2016 (Muzzin, RFA) and Brown goes UFA in 2022. I would pass on Callahan but definitely take a flyer on Girardi if the Kings could lock him up*. He is a solid defender and a RH shot, something the Kings will need pretty soon with Greene probably not coming back.

Currently dollars wise Brown/Muzzin = $6.875 million and Callahan/Girardi = $7.6 million but Callahan is reportedly seeking a 7 year/$47.25 million deal ($6.75 million AAV). That is freaking ABSURD for a guy who has never won anything, led his team to anything and is constantly injured because of the style he plays (I admire it - but he gets hurt a ton because of it). The Rangers are about to move him from what I understand this week because they aren't going to pay him that.

Putting it into perspective, Kopitar makes $6.8 million and almost a PPG player his career (523/581 = .90/PPG) Callahan isn't even close to that (253/447 = .57/PPG). Both are solid players, but Kopitar is the total package skills wise and a two-way center where as Callahan is a heart and soul guy with intangibles and limited offensive upside. More importantly Kopitar has led his team to a Cup where as Callahan has taken the Rangers to the ECFs once (2012) and missed the playoffs twice in his 6 year career there. He's basically Dustin Brown except 1) he's a year older and 2) he will be paid more. Make no sense to make a move for him.

*Back to Girardi, the Rangers and he were a ways apart but closed the gap dollars wise recently, all they are working on is term now (he wants 6 years). I don't see them moving him and believe something will be worked out. I know all playoff bound/playoff possible teams would love to have a guy like him, including LA.

I don't see the Kings and Rangers making a move for Callahan, but I would definitely keep my ears open on Girardi if I were Dumbo in case things fall through with the Rangers.

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love the Charlie Huddy video! haha!

I gotta agree with Puck on Brown's funk. Was watching an NHL Network show and they followed Brown around his home right around the time players were getting the call if they were going to make the Olympic team. He seemed so annoyed by his kids. Remember his wife and kids were making breakfast and she kept telling them to be quiet because dad was sleeping.

Until you have kids you have no idea the amount of work involved. I only have 2 kids and I feel like my tank is constantly on E, I can't imagine having 4!

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love the Charlie Huddy video! haha!

I couldn't stop laughing, I am in my office in Upland and was rolling. The gaffes, the amount of times he was destroyed, the funky turnovers, etc. was classic.

I personally liked the guy because he was tough, but wow did he screw the pooch a ton.

I gotta agree with Puck on Brown's funk. Was watching an NHL Network show and they followed Brown around his home right around the time players were getting the call if they were going to make the Olympic team. He seemed so annoyed by his kids. Remember his wife and kids were making breakfast and she kept telling them to be quiet because dad was sleeping.

I saw a piece of that and saw the exact same thing. I had my theory about his family life before that ever aired, all that did was confirm what I believed. Being a parent of 4, let alone that close in age, truly exhausts you and when you are tired physically, you get tired mentally.

I think Brown simply does not have a lot to give right now, and won't until these kids are a bit older. Unfortunately for him, he has had that many kids at a time in his life where his hockey career is about to go down, is a high profile player on a Cup contending team and face of a franchise.

Lot on his shoulders in addition to the family but that is also the role he was groomed for. He needs to deliver.

Until you have kids you have no idea the amount of work involved. I only have 2 kids and I feel like my tank is constantly on E, I can't imagine having 4!

You guys going to have any more?

I have an 8 year old, two 3 year olds and a (almost) 14 month old. The older one isn't the problem, she's pretty easy and good - it's the two toddlers and baby that absolutely wipe your ass out. Especially the last little guy, he is hell on wheels. We had no idea he would be the way he is, easily the biggest handful of any of the 4 children at that age.

I'm on fumes myself but then again I don't exert myself physically like Brown does. He needs a lot more rest, and he flat out isn't getting it.

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys going to have any more?

Hell no, and I've made sure of that! :)

My 1 year old son is the fussiest baby I've ever encountered. He's still not sleeping through the night and is throwing tantrums already when he doesn't get what he wants. We joke that had we had him first we would've only had 1 kid. Toddlers are tough, my eldest is 4 and feel like she is really starting to gain some independence and she is 10x easier than he is.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell no, and I've made sure of that! :)

Makes two of us, although I still need to go get my baby batter tested.

Got the procedure done August 9, left my old job August 23 so I had to wait for insurance. Have it but now too damn lazy to go back and get it done. I'm pretty sure we're safe but I've heard stories - some in the family actually - where someone had a kid when they thought it was safe after one of these.

Freaks me the hell out.

My 1 year old son is the fussiest baby I've ever encountered. He's still not sleeping through the night and is throwing tantrums already when he doesn't get what he wants. We joke that had we had him first we would've only had 1 kid. Toddlers are tough, my eldest is 4 and feel like she is really starting to gain some independence and she is 10x easier than he is.

I hear you, sounds like us.

My oldest was the easiest, not sure if it was because she had no siblings for almost 5 years or because she is simply that way (I'm thinking the latter - she is a great kid) and then my oldest son, my youngest daughter and then the little hellion in that order.

This kid...holy crap, if he came first none of the other three would have existed. Looks like mom, has my bulldozer personality. I'm pretty apologetic for all the stuff I've done in my life because this guy is my sentence.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have a 13-year-old and a 3 and half year-old. I didn't realize there would be that much of a difference between having a child at 30 and having one at 40.
For my 40th bd I had myself fixed. Not just tied but cauterized too.
2 is enough and I am too old to have a child now.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish the Kings would get Ryan McDonagh. That dude was beastly on D and handled Malkin in that Russia game. I was blown away by how he kept up with his speed and bodied him up everytime Malkin tried to get by. I also felt his ability to join the rush and move the puck was impressive.

Not huge on Callahan. Undersized and is too much like Brown. Embelishes and just gives me negative vibe. Is he good? Yes he's good, but he wants big money (I heard he's asking $6mil per year) and I don't see that being even close to reasonable.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish the Kings would get Ryan McDonagh. That dude was beastly on D and handled Malkin in that Russia game. I was blown away by how he kept up with his speed and bodied him up everytime Malkin tried to get by. I also felt his ability to join the rush and move the puck was impressive.

He's a solid defender, big piece of NY's defense so I doubt he gets moved. But yeah, he was solid in the Olympics, quite and unspectacular but exactly how a defender should be.

Not huge on Callahan. Undersized and is too much like Brown. Embelishes and just gives me negative vibe. Is he good? Yes he's good, but he wants big money (I heard he's asking $6mil per year) and I don't see that being even close to reasonable.

He's basically the East Coast Dustin Brown in terms of player, but he is a year older and wants almost $7 million a season. No way I pay that for him, he's not worth the money.

Seeing Brown about to become a $5.875 million a season player is bad enough, Callahan brings nothing to the table that Brown doesn't already possess.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Back to Girardi, the Rangers and he were a ways apart but closed the gap dollars wise recently, all they are working on is term now (he wants 6 years). I don't see them moving him and believe something will be worked out. I know all playoff bound/playoff possible teams would love to have a guy like him, including LA.

I don't see the Kings and Rangers making a move for Callahan, but I would definitely keep my ears open on Girardi if I were Dumbo in case things fall through with the Rangers.

Just an update on this, Girardi is off the market signing a 6 year/$33 million deal yesterday ($5.5 million cap hit). A RH, shut down defender in his prime (29), that is a solid deal.