• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ohio State fans -- what to do about Schiano/PSU

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this. I think the whole thing needs to go away. That being said -- I wouldn't want Schiano anywhere near my teams coaching staff after this news came out. I wouldn't want anyone associated with the PSU staff during that time period at all.

Those saying Schiano was given a thorough interview etc from Meyer. I have no doubt he did. This wasn't public record at that time though. It was a sealed document, which is why Schiano's name never came out til PSU tried to pass some of the settlement payments off to the insurance carrier. It made all sealed documents fair game.

Will anyone ever know the truth? No. Will anyone involved end up with a black mark on their record by association? Unfortunately, yes.

I think OSU's biggest issue is the negative recruiting others could use by associating Schiano to the PSU scandal. Unfortunately, usually where there is smoke, there is fire and many will believe he is guilty by nothing more than association, even if he said reams from the rooftop he knew nothing.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no way on God's green earth anybody works for any length of time for anyone, without hearing the in-house rumors, seeing the red flags, scratching their head as to why a grown man is bringing an adolescent along to a bowl game,etc, without coming to a conclusion of what is actually going on. I'm not buying Schiano's bullshit for a second.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course not, but I'd hope OSU fans wouldn't want a guy on staff who helped cover up child molestation for 30 years.

Well if he did know it is fucked up but right now it is all speculation so why would they fire him. If the facts come out then I'm sure they will do something but you realize some other team will hire him bc it happened 30 years ago and he was young.

I never really was a fan of Schiano when he was the head coach at Rutgers. I just didn't like him for whatever reason. I understand he is a good recruiter but I don't like looking at his face and that was before all this came out honestly lol.

pabartl787

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it's sad to convict people with absolutely no evidence. Please note: Deposition testimony is not evidence.

Really? Because no one (including OSU fans) had a problem convicting Paterno with nothing but testimony.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Because no one (including OSU fans) had a problem convicting Paterno with nothing but testimony.
Wrong it was his own words that convicted him.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO EVIDENCE?

It's really this simple. Forget Freeh and his conclusions. Forget the apologists. Just follow the evidence:

2/10/01 - MM reports something disturbing to JVP. Won't argue about what was said exactly, but JVP testified before the GJ that it was something of a "sexual nature". He also testified that this is what he told Curley.
2/11/01 - Paterno informs Curley of meeting with MM, waited a day so as not to ruin everyone's weekend.
2/12/01 - Curley, Schultz and Spanier meet and formulate a plan - part one of the plan was to review the 1998 incident; then, Curley was to advise JVP that TMC was going to meet with JS on Friday (the 16th). If JS did not confess, they were going to inform DPW.

<interjection - at this point, they had not spoken to MM. Why would they think that a lack of confession would necessitate that they inform DPW if JVP had not told them that something sexual had taken place?>

Some time after this (Schultz' estimate is 7-10 days, so it is between 2/19 and 2/22/01, Curley and Schultz meet with McQueary.

2/25/01 Plan is to tell DPW, the chair of 2nd mile and tell JS not to bring any children to Lasch

<interjection - this was AFTER they met with MM - the plan had not changed, so whatever MM told JVP who told TMC was consistent with what MM told TMC/Schultz>

2/26/01 email from Schultz to Curley confirms plan from handwritten notes on the 25th

2/26/01 Curley has discussion with JVP about the plan <base on Curley's email after that meeting it is unreasonable to conclude that they discussed anything else>

2/27/01 Curley emails Schultz and says "After giving it more thought and talking it over with Joe yesterday, I am uncomfortable with what we agreed were the next steps; I am having trouble with going to everyone, but the person involved." Without quoting the rest, Curley wants to talk to Sandusky. Schultz says this is ok, actually expressing his admiration for Curley's willingness to do this and that it was the "humane" thing to do. Spanier agreed and states that 'The only downside for us is if the message isn't "heard" and acted upon and and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it."

Some have argued that MM was unclear in what he told JVP. Whatever he told JVP which was then conveyed to Curley, it was clear enough that if JS didn't confess when confronted they were going to call DPW before they ever spoke to MM.

If Schultz and Curley were never told it was sexual by JVP, why would they plan on reporting the incident to DPW? Report what?

If Schultz and Curley were never told it was sexual by MM, why would they continue to plan on reporting the incident to DPW? Report what?

Schultz testified 10 years later at his preliminary hearing that he believed it had been reported to DPW. If they did not hear that anything sexual had taken place, what did he believe was reported?

I took these notes straight from the preliminary hearing transcript and the evidence exhibits in the Freeh report, not from its conclusions.

Based on this reading of the evidence, it is clear the 5 of them knew something reportable had happened that night. It is also clear that at least 4 of them decided not to report it even though they knew they should and there would be a problem if not reporting ever came to light. To argue otherwise is simply to ignore the plain facts.

I am further convinced that had Schultz NOT talked to Paterno after the meeting on the 25th, that Sandusky would have been reported to the proper authorities in 2001.

Paterno deserves all the scorn and more than he has received in my mind. If they ever put the statue back on campus, it should have a huge plaque with Joe's own words: "I should have done more."

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This just shows, that in sports it does not matter about how bad your decisions have been, if you can win what you do is ignored.

For me, I just don't care about it anymore. It is on Schiano's and Bradley's conscious. Not to mention, look what happened to the guy that did it right, Mike McQueary. Is he in coaching? Has he made bazillions of dollars by keeping his mouth shut like Paterno, Bradley, Schiano?

College football coaching is filled with sinners and backstabbers. The world of recruiting is one big, huge dirtbag and every coach is involved in that. Yet, they all don't talk about all of the underhanded stuff they do that is against the rules or even against the law.

The administration(coaches, athletic directors, presidents, TV) of College Football is not about doing good, it is about making themselves rich at the expense of the college football players and whatever happens to the victims from the administration, then no one is going to upset their cash cow.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This just shows, that in sports it does not matter about how bad your decisions have been, if you can win what you do is ignored.

For me, I just don't care about it anymore. It is on Schiano's and Bradley's conscious. Not to mention, look what happened to the guy that did it right, Mike McQueary. Is he in coaching? Has he made bazillions of dollars by keeping his mouth shut like Paterno, Bradley, Schiano?

College football coaching is filled with sinners and backstabbers. The world of recruiting is one big, huge dirtbag and every coach is involved in that. Yet, they all don't talk about all of the underhanded stuff they do that is against the rules or even against the law.

The administration(coaches, athletic directors, presidents, TV) of College Football is not about doing good, it is about making themselves rich at the expense of the college football players and whatever happens to the victims from the administration, then no one is going to upset their cash cow.
In case you can't read, Schiano actually didn't keep his mouth shut according to McQueary. Bradley supposedly did.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's easy to judge now, but looking back on it I wouldn't exactly be giving McQueary a medal here. I hope that if I ever saw someone abusing the child, I would 1) intervene to stop the abuse; 2) remove the child from danger; and 3) call the police, not my boss. I certainly hope I would not have kept quiet about it for years before being approached by the authorities.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little surprise this piece of shit is being protected under the Meyer regime at Ohio State.

Disgusting? Absolutely. Surprising? Not at all.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still think McQueary was just jealous Sandusky wouldn't touch him so he made a bunch of shit up.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Ohio State protected/enabled a mass murderer or child molestor today?

I wasn't able to catch the news.