• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ohio State fans -- what to do about Schiano/PSU

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the deposition released yesterday saying Schiano directly knew/saw abuse at Penn State and did nothing, what do you want to happen?

Court Records: Greg Schiano Witnessed Jerry Sandusky Sexual Assault

"Q: And did he give you any details about what Coach Schiano had reported to him?

A: No, only that he had -- I can't remember if it was one night or one morning, but that Greg had come into his office white as a ghost and said he just saw Jerry doing something to a boy in the shower. And that's it. That's all he ever told me."

Schiano claims he never saw or heard anything:
Greg Schiano: 'I Never Saw Any Abuse' While at Penn State

But I find that hard to believe now with all the crap coming out. Are you OK with this guy on staff with this kind of stuff in his history? This would make me very uncomfortable for my team to employ someone like this.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems a bit risky if it all comes out in the wash.

For now, the Schiano storyline is off the general public radar.
Ohio State is not being dragged around as collateral damage yet.
And it might never get much further. I don't know if any journalist outside of Ann Arbor will keep pushing it.

But, if it ever picks up steam.
The Buckeyes should go a different direction.
He is not some irreplaceable asset that is worth taking the PR hits.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the former Penn State players are happy, who filed a motion to get the stupid statue put back up at Penn State. It has done nothing but drag the school through the mud again.

This brings to the fore front the statement I made a while ago and the regular cast of characters disagreed -- EVERY HC at a major university is cut throat and will bend rules to give them an advantage. They only care about winning games -- the rest is nothing more than window dressing. Winning games gives them the attention they crave, the money they want and the fame they are looking for.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to fire him for something that happened 25 years or so ago at another university while he was a GA. Also, WTF do you mean he "did nothing"? If the testimony is true, he went right to Bradley and told him about it.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State fan: "Greg Schiano is innocent. He did nothing wrong!"

If Schiano was an assistant at Michigan:

Ohio State fan: "Greg Schiano should receive the death penalty!"

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That about sums it up perfectly, right there.

PSU alumni just need to drop the whole Paterno statue -- they doing the university absolutely no justice. All it does is bring the issue back into the national spot light.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to fire him for something that happened 25 years or so ago at another university while he was a GA. Also, WTF do you mean he "did nothing"? If the testimony is true, he went right to Bradley and told him about it.
So you're saying Paterno did nothing wrong because he told people about the abuse above him within the University?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying Paterno did nothing wrong because he told people about the abuse above him within the University?
Not what I said at all. Paterno knew all about it for decades and said nothing. This was when he was the top dog who had been there forever, and Sandusky was hired by him. He had that responsibility as someone who knew the situation very well and also knew what it would take to make something happen. Schiano was fresh out of college, so he did what he thought he was supposed to do. That's if any of what McQueary is even saying is true.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Honestly, this has less to do about Ohio State and more to do with Penn State and the abuse. I personally don't think anyone that coached in the last 35 years of the Paterno era at Penn State should be allowed to work in the NCAA or NFL. I just don't believe at this point with all that's come out that anyone could have coached there and not known something about the abuse. Especially if it's in a deposition that a staff member knew.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not what I said at all. Paterno knew all about it for decades and said nothing. This was when he was the top dog who had been there forever, and Sandusky was hired by him. He had that responsibility as someone who knew the situation very well and also knew what it would take to make something happen. Schiano was fresh out of college, so he did what he thought he was supposed to do. That's if any of what McQueary is even saying is true.
If you see someone sexually abusing a kid in a bathroom, your coaching level is irrelevant. Seeing it and doing nothing over 30 years is only less bad than what Paterno did in that Paterno had multiple reports from multiple people. If what McQueary says is true, what Schiano did might actually be worse than Peterno because he cause Sandusky in the act of the abuse.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you see someone sexually abusing a kid in a bathroom, your coaching level is irrelevant. Seeing it and doing nothing over 30 years is only less bad than what Paterno did in that Paterno had multiple reports from multiple people. If what McQueary says is true, what Schiano did might actually be worse than Peterno because he cause Sandusky in the act of the abuse.
So every grown man should only be judged by actions (or, supposed inaction) from when they were in their early-mid 20s, according to you. Stop being so sanctimonious and grow up already.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So every grown man should only be judged by actions (or, supposed inaction) from when they were in their early-mid 20s, according to you. Stop being so sanctimonious and grow up already.
We're not talking about a simple action or inaction. We're talking about a grown adult seeing a kid being sexually abused in the shower and doing nothing but tell his colleague about it. I'm taking football out of this equation entirely. Yes, that person should be judged on that inaction. That's fucking sick, disgusting and wrong if true.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're not talking about a simple action or inaction. We're talking about a grown adult seeing a kid being sexually abused in the shower and doing nothing but tell his colleague about it. I'm taking football out of this equation entirely. Yes, that person should be judged on that inaction. That's fucking sick, disgusting and wrong if true.
Supposedly, he thought he saw "something" happening. I know you're a perfect beacon of morality (with your love of a coach that sleeps with teen boy recruits), but when you're that young and think you may have seen "something", you tell someone above you what you thought you saw. That's what he did. Firing him now for something that happened 25 years ago at a different school under very unclear circumstances is absolutely absurd.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly, he thought he saw "something" happening. I know you're a perfect beacon of morality (with your love of a coach that sleeps with teen boy recruits), but when you're that young and think you may have seen "something", you tell someone above you what you thought you saw. That's what he did. Firing him now for something that happened 25 years ago at a different school under very unclear circumstances is absolutely absurd.
Yeah, and if I even had the hint of Jim Harbaugh doing something wildly criminal like that, I would turn his ass in, in a second. There are different levels of morality, child r*pe is not one of them. There's a pretty hard line there. The time since that happened is irrelevant, especially because he's now potentially lying about it (again).

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really? We're going to continue to have THIS conversation? What Sandusky did is disgusting and evil--he's being punished for it. The apparent fact that Joe Paterno thought coaching football was more important than listening to a Sandusky "victim" is appalling. He was also punished. The rest is speculation at best. No one really knows who knew or saw what and when--it's "he said he said." It isn't the first such scandal by a "respected" authority and others who failed to report it or covered it up or were otherwise complicit by their silence. But, can we please stop discussing it in a college football forum?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? We're going to continue to have THIS conversation? What Sandusky did is disgusting and evil--he's being punished for it. The apparent fact that Joe Paterno thought coaching football was more important than listening to a Sandusky "victim" is appalling. He was also punished. The rest is speculation at best. No one really knows who knew or saw what and when--it's "he said he said." It isn't the first such scandal by a "respected" authority and others who failed to report it or covered it up or were otherwise complicit by their silence. But, can we please stop discussing it in a college football forum?
This is almost entirely about college football. It's the relationship between fandom and the law. And new bits of information are coming out all the time. This is an important discussion. Personally, I think it's wrong any of these people are employed in the sport. And didn't so much think that at first and thought it was solely about Paterno. But now, we're well aware that many of the top staff officials knew something. You can choose to view them individually as he said he said cases, but I'm sorry -- there's just too much evidence to suggest they didn't know.

And BTW, this is sworn testimony in court. If it comes out that McQueary was lying -- he goes to jail.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is almost entirely about college football. It's the relationship between fandom and the law. And new bits of information are coming out all the time. This is an important discussion. Personally, I think it's wrong any of these people are employed in the sport. And didn't so much think that at first and thought it was solely about Paterno. But now, we're well aware that many of the top staff officials knew something. You can choose to view them individually as he said he said cases, but I'm sorry -- there's just too much evidence to suggest they didn't know.

And BTW, this is sworn testimony in court. If it comes out that McQueary was lying -- he goes to jail.

I get it! It IS an important discussion--just not in this forum, IMO. Personally, I think it's wrong that many members of the hierarchy of the Catholic church who were complicit in that scandal are still employed, too--I'm still waiting for justice in that case, but that's a discussion for another forum as well. Justice in such cases is often imperfect.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it! It IS an important discussion--just not in this forum, IMO. Personally, I think it's wrong that many members of the hierarchy of the Catholic church who were complicit in that scandal are still employed, too--I'm still waiting for justice in that case, but that's a discussion for another forum as well. Justice in such cases is often imperfect.
Except, that doesn't directly involve football. Schiano is the assistant head coach at Ohio State and is accused of covering up child r*pe.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and if I even had the hint of Jim Harbaugh doing something wildly criminal like that, I would turn his ass in, in a second. There are different levels of morality, child r*pe is not one of them. There's a pretty hard line there. The time since that happened is irrelevant, especially because he's now potentially lying about it (again).
Like what Schiano did?

BTW, here's a hint: any time a grown man in his 50s offers to sleep in the same room as your 17 year old boy, it's fucked up. If you support this, your opinion on Schiano is moot.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except, that doesn't directly involve football. Schiano is the assistant head coach at Ohio State and is accused of covering up child r*pe.
Now you're just flat out making shit up. Going to your superior when you think you may have seen something happen is the opposite of being accused of covering up child r*pe. This is pathetic, even for you.