• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official July 31 trade deadline thread

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I myself am very suprised the Giants made no moves today. But, I could say that also about 5-10 other teams. IMO, this was one of the most boring trade deadline days in recent memory.

2 wild cards = lots of buyers, no sellers. And the special situations like the Giants.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to pantshat, but I see JLo as hugely valuable on a serious contender. On an average team, he is wildly overpaid, IMO.

I fear that next year he will be wildly overpaid if he stays with us.

So, you're saying that we'll be average next year?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see a couple more holes.

We only have Pagan as a legit OF next year signed, so we need 2 more. Blanco ain't it.

SP: Cain and Bum are the only guys signed for 2014 right? So we really need to get 3 signed, even if 2 of them are Vogelsong and Gaudin. And I'm still not sure Vogelsong isn't done.

And by god we need a different backup catcher. If Posey makes Belt sit once a week, we need SOMETHING from that slot.

I'm assuming this:

C -- Posey*, Susac
IF -- Belt, Scutaro*, Crawford, Sandoval*, Arias, Panik
OF -- Pagan*, Pence*, Blanco, Kieshnick, Peguero
SP -- Bumgarner*, Cain*, Vogelsong, Lincecum, Gaudin
RP -- Romo*, Affeldt, Casilla, Lopez, Rosario, Mijares, Moscoso

* = potential all stars

Obviously, we could use some OF help and perhaps another SP. BTW, we have a team option on Vogelsong for $6MM; he's in the 2014 rotation. Susac can hit some, and is excellent defensively. Also, Chez3 lurks and he can hit.

I think we're a playoff team in 2014 without too much tweaking. Pagan needs to be healthy, Cain needs to be Cain. 2 of (Vogelsong, Lincecum, Gaudin) need to step up.

Again, another OF would be helpful, but I just don't see a strong FA market:

Elsbury -- too expensive
Choo -- too expensive
Beltran -- too old
Cruz -- too roided
Baker -- maybe, outlier year?
DeJesus -- maybe, but old
Hart -- maybe, but his D won't play well at AT&T
Young -- maybe, but again suspect D

Instead, we could try for someone like Nate McLouth, Mike Morse, David Murphy. That's the way I see SabeySabes playing it.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soooo, you don't see us as contenders next year? Yep, that's kind of shatty.

I do. The Giants seem to be on the "every other year" plan. I think any team not called the Yankees would sign up for that, and be just fine.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weird trade deadline, I understand you guys just won the WS, so why not keep it together for a while.

But some of these teams are just stupid for holding on to freeagents to be/setup men.

Get enough Meh prospects some of em bound to hit.

Nate Mclouth

for

Jeff Locke
Charlie Morton
Gorky Hernandez

All meh prospects, none of em ever smelled the top 100 lists, but its 40% of our rotation now and without that trade we would probably be in 3rd place.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming this:

C -- Posey*, Susac
IF -- Belt, Scutaro*, Crawford, Sandoval*, Arias, Panik
OF -- Pagan*, Pence*, Blanco, Kieshnick, Peguero
SP -- Bumgarner*, Cain*, Vogelsong, Lincecum, Gaudin
RP -- Romo*, Affeldt, Casilla, Lopez, Rosario, Mijares, Moscoso

* = potential all stars

Obviously, we could use some OF help and perhaps another SP. BTW, we have a team option on Vogelsong for $6MM; he's in the 2014 rotation. Susac can hit some, and is excellent defensively. Also, Chez3 lurks and he can hit.

I think we're a playoff team in 2014 without too much tweaking. Pagan needs to be healthy, Cain needs to be Cain. 2 of (Vogelsong, Lincecum, Gaudin) need to step up.

Again, another OF would be helpful, but I just don't see a strong FA market:

Elsbury -- too expensive
Choo -- too expensive
Beltran -- too old
Cruz -- too roided
Baker -- maybe, outlier year?
DeJesus -- maybe, but old
Hart -- maybe, but his D won't play well at AT&T
Young -- maybe, but again suspect D

Instead, we could try for someone like Nate McLouth, Mike Morse, David Murphy. That's the way I see SabeySabes playing it.

So you are assuming we re-sign Pence (won't cost too much?) and Lincecum (same, and also, he kind of sucks). And Lopez (love to have him back and we probably will). And thank you I forgot the option on Vogey and you're right he'll be back, but how good will he be? He was crap before he got hurt this year, and crap for most of his adult life. It will be very interesting how he pitches the rest of the way, there a not so small chance he won't be able to cut it.

Your scenario is pretty high risk/high reward. It's basically the same team we failed with this year.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are assuming we re-sign Pence (won't cost too much?) and Lincecum (same, and also, he kind of sucks). And Lopez (love to have him back and we probably will). And thank you I forgot the option on Vogey and you're right he'll be back, but how good will he be? He was crap before he got hurt this year, and crap for most of his adult life. It will be very interesting how he pitches the rest of the way, there a not so small chance he won't be able to cut it.

Your scenario is pretty high risk/high reward. It's basically the same team we failed with this year.

I am assuming we get Gangle back -- he wants to be here and we need a legit OF. I think Timmah will take the QO and try to build his value in 2014. I think Lopez gets signed to 2/8 or something similar. I think Vogs will be OK, not an allstar again, but OK. As you say, August/September will tell us a lot.

I don't think my scenario is that high risk. We kind of know what these guys are and they're mostly pretty good. I think 2013 was the fluke, not 2010/2012.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone listen to Fitz today?

:gaah:

He is saying that we should not keep Pence and that we should use the money to sign a true OFer. He fails, however to look at the OF FA class and offer an alternative.

I would LOVE to sign Choo, but there is no way Cin lets him walk. If they do, than by all means, go after him, but he will cost more than Pence, and by a good margin.

Ellsburry is not leaving Boston. End of sentence.

Pence is the #3 OF on the market. Lock him up. Preferably for 3 years, but if a 4th is needed, so be it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More on Pence...

If we do sign him, we have to understand that he will not put up all-star numbers for us. No one will.

We have to set our own expectations at the right place.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More on Pence...

If we do sign him, we have to understand that he will not put up all-star numbers for us. No one will.

We have to set our own expectations at the right place.

Posey and Scutero had/have all-star numbers... We have to have high expectations for the team. Though Im going to read into what you are trying to mean in we have to get it done through pitching and more by committee than one player.

As for Pence he is an average over hyped player had a stellar rookie showing and has been steadily dropping off. He has decent pop with an unorthodox swing, chases pitches and doesn't run a count. Average out fielder arm, at times gambles wrong, does possess great speed and has been durable.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do. The Giants seem to be on the "every other year" plan. I think any team not called the Yankees would sign up for that, and be just fine.

Thanks to Scott Cousins......The '11 team played hard all season and was missing Buster.

I think we bounce back next season with a little bit of tweaking here and there.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posey and Scutero had/have all-star numbers... We have to have high expectations for the team. Though Im going to read into what you are trying to mean in we have to get it done through pitching and more by committee than one player.

As for Pence he is an average over hyped player had a stellar rookie showing and has been steadily dropping off. He has decent pop with an unorthodox swing, chases pitches and doesn't run a count. Average out fielder arm, at times gambles wrong, does possess great speed and has been durable.

All-star 2B and all-star C is TOTALLY different from all-star OF. Melky did it for us last year, but that was using a cheat-code.

I agree that Pence is nota world-beater. I have said here multiple times that I do not believe his game will age well. But what are the options? If we let him walk, and instead use his money to go after someone else, that who? There isn't anyone available that we can pickup. Choo will cost a LOT. We would need to look at something like 6/100. No thanks.

There is no one available in the FA market that makes as much sense. IF we let him walk, we do not get the productivity back. We will be stuck with another 4th OF type starting for us.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All-star 2B and all-star C is TOTALLY different from all-star OF. Melky did it for us last year, but that was using a cheat-code.

I agree that Pence is nota world-beater. I have said here multiple times that I do not believe his game will age well. But what are the options? If we let him walk, and instead use his money to go after someone else, that who? There isn't anyone available that we can pickup. Choo will cost a LOT. We would need to look at something like 6/100. No thanks.

There is no one available in the FA market that makes as much sense. IF we let him walk, we do not get the productivity back. We will be stuck with another 4th OF type starting for us.

Pence will be back; he wants it and the Giants want it. Fret not, young Jedi.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which makes me wonder why he wasn't delt. I am just going to assume the trade value was very low, which may be the case, though the Giants put huge prices on their player and no one bit.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which makes me wonder why he wasn't delt. I am just going to assume the trade value was very low, which may be the case, though the Giants put huge prices on their player and no one bit.

If he was dealt, despite what he said, there would be a very small chance that he comes back. So who would we put in the OF? Pagan and...?

Despite what we are seeing today out of Kiesch, the org has said they do not believe he is ready for the an MLB starting gig yet. Brown has shown flashes of OK-ness in Fresno, but nothing that shouts "PROMOTE ME". Mac is still a couple years away. Pegs/Perez/etc don't really excite me much.

If we traded Pence, it does three things that are all negative...

1) Removes the QO restriction to his ability to negotiate with other clubs.
2) Opens the door to another org to present a prolonged slow-pitch to him.
3) Opens the possibility that Pence gets hot and realizes that he would like to put up numbers AND get paid, instead of just get paid and win, which is what will happen in SF.

Now if we were able to get a top50 prospect for him, than those risks may have been worth it. Obviously, they did not get an offer that exceeded the potential cost of letting him go for a couple months.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sabes was holding out for a deal that would have done that. He was not going to trade him for Bowker and Martinez.

This. No point in trading JLo just to trade him. The Pads got freakin Ian Kennedy for Joe Thatcher! If there wasn't a legit piece out there to help us in 2014, keep Lopez, because he can help us in 2014. I'm glad the price was high on him, and I'm glad he's still here.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course now that I think of it Baltimore did just win the Super Bowl so maybe I drop them too.

Probably rooting most for Pittsburgh. They are going to have their first WINNING SEASON since 1992 this year (their last year with Bonds), let alone making the playoffs.

I'm rooting for Pitt vs. Baltimore World Series. And I too am rooting for the A's, hell I turned them on yesterday instead of watching that Giants crap (today was much better for us).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I myself am very suprised the Giants made no moves today. But, I could say that also about 5-10 other teams. IMO, this was one of the most boring trade deadline days in recent memory.

I'm not one bit. The Giants were going to end the day as huge winners, or the same team as before. We weren't going to settle for mid-level guys.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weird trade deadline, I understand you guys just won the WS, so why not keep it together for a while.

But some of these teams are just stupid for holding on to freeagents to be/setup men.

Get enough Meh prospects some of em bound to hit.

Nate Mclouth

for

Jeff Locke
Charlie Morton
Gorky Hernandez

All meh prospects, none of em ever smelled the top 100 lists, but its 40% of our rotation now and without that trade we would probably be in 3rd place.

Interesting example. But this just doesn't usually happen, quite lucky/great player development for you guys. But I'd still rather hang onto guys that could help us next year, in your scenario the Pirates were not in a position to contend and were looking to stockpile anything you can get. The Giants can't afford to do that next year.