• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-18 Trade Deadline Thread

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Q: Do rosters expand to beyond 23 after trade deadline? Or sometime after Playoffs begin?

Maybe they float Brodzinski or Amadio back to Ontario and roll with 13 F and 8 D.

Yes, the 23 man limit is restricted to Opening Day to 12:01am on Trade Deadline Day (it's 40 days prior to the end of the regular season, it used to be 26). After that however there are no roster limit restrictions except for a few things - players in Junior cannot be recalled until the end of their season, an NHL team can only recall 4 players from the AHL team (Emergency Recalls do not count against this), just stuff only a CBA geek like me really cares to know about.

On Deadline Day however, an NHL team must submit a list of players who are eligible for the AHL playoffs. These guys are generally Waivers exempt but after this day is when the 4 recall rule above kicks in. Thus we should be seeing a "Amadio/Brodzinski/LaDue/Iafallo/etc. Assigned to AHL" transaction sometime soon but it'll just be a paper transaction so they can play in the Calder Cup if the Kings either don't make the POs or if they get eliminated while Ontario is still playing.

So after Monday 2/26, the Kings can keep pretty much everyone and not make any more moves.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree defense is very important in the playoffs, I maintain that you need to outscore your opponent to make the playoffs. The Kings need secondary scoring badly....There have been teams with mediocre D win a cup, but I have yet to see a team that misses the playoffs win it

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree defense is very important in the playoffs, I maintain that you need to outscore your opponent to make the playoffs. The Kings need secondary scoring badly....There have been teams with mediocre D win a cup, but I have yet to see a team that misses the playoffs win it

You'll have to remind me which team, almost all SC winning teams have 3 things in common - stellar goaltending (whether it's a player who gets hot at the right time or is elite as is), a staunch defense and strength down the middle in the 1-4C slots. Even last year with Letang out last season of all PO teams to play at least 10 games the Penguins ranked 2nd in GA and defense. Matt Murray held the fort for them very well but the defense also did its job.

I do agree the Kings need goals to even be in that position to begin with but also I think the Kings are banking on Carter adding at least a little bit more offense while he gets up to speed after being out for so long but they are supposedly looking for secondary help as well.

If Pearson or Toffoli can get on any sort of streak that would help immensely, but these two have looked pretty bad almost all season long. Toffoli especially along the boards, I don't think I have ever seen him not get the puck out of the zone or turn it over right at the blueline so much in seasons past as I have this one. He is awful in 50/50 situations and his failure to clear pucks have been burning the Kings. The puck stays in, ends up down low and ends up in the net almost every time he loses a puck it seems.

Pearson was doing all the right things early in the season, just not translating into goals, but recently I have seen his play slip as well. I don't think a reminder of what it takes to be T6 forwards by being moved to the B6 lines would be a bad thing for these guys.

Not sure what the Kings would have to offer without losing someone off the roster but now with Phaneuf in town some of the defense just got expendable - Gravel and LaDue are not going to develop sitting on the bench in LA and LaDue is the only one who can be assigned to Ontario without being claimed so it looks like Gravel may be a piece to move unless he really makes a statement here and soon.

I'd like to see the Kings make a run at Mike Hoffman but he will cost a pretty penny.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoffman would be an outstanding pickup, doubtful they can get anyone that could make a difference like that

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can but would gut the farm even more either in futures or prospects. I don't think that is Blake's MO at the moment.

I'm trying to keep an eye on Benoit Pouliot in this Buffalo game, he would be cheap and a pure rental. Buffalo is brutal.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on the other end of it, I say bet the farm and try to win another in the next couple seasons. The core of this team is going to be a non factor soon enough. I can live with a brutal team in a few years if it meant they tried to win another. Quick? DD? Kopistar? Carter? when does it run its course? Even with the tops picks and prospects in the league there is no guarantee of success. With the cap problems not going away I say bury the future and live in the now. We waited how long for this cup team? Lets give em everything available

I know its a little short sited an I'm in the minority, I watched bad Kings teams for years I can do that again when this is over

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am ok with "gut the farm" and go for it. But NOT this year. The plan is to play the youngsters this year to evaluate. Try to address some needs in off season, and then "go for it" hopefully by next trade deadline. Too many question marks with young players this year. Need more time to see where Kempe, Amarion, LaDue, Iafalo, etc. will slot in. Kings Management will be in a much better position to pursue the right type of player next year.

Yes, the core players won't be in their prime for too many more seasons. But I say one more year until we really know this team. Of course, I can't go more than two posts without mentioning Voynov. That wildcard situation alone could dictate a lot to what options and what direction this team goes.

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely bring back Voynov. I've been in that camp for quite a while now, and I'm a clinical psychologist with 25 years experience. The guy served his time both legally and in this idiotic lockout where the guy can't make a living either in the NHL or international competition. These guys aren't saints, the guy got drunk did something cruel and really stupid and has paid the penalty beyond what would be paid in other professions. Let him go back to work at the highest level he can achieve, like other offenders have. Ridiculous. (I would say this even if he played for the Quacks or Blackhosers, teams I despise. The man deserves to make a living where his talent will take him.)

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been keeping an eye on stuff, there is an article in the LAT from yesterday saying he is in the Olympics and it releases some details about the DV incident we weren't privy too before. Sounds like a bad scene the popo walked in on all around.

I too agree, the man has done his time - the issue will be the ethical/moral backlash but I agree, there have been guys who have done their time and been able to get back to where they make the highest level. Dany Heatley freaking killed someone and was allowed to come back into the league - hypocrisy much?

His probation is going to expire in July, should be interesting to see what is going on in the backfield right now. Bringing him back would be a coup for LA, I just hope they escape it with as minimal backlash as possible.

Also agree with LoCal, this is not the year to throw the chips on the table - too many variables and "what ifs" with the younger players. Go all in next year.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
goals not with standing, like what I see so far. I doubt his scoring pace stays, but he has made up for the loss of Gabby

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know much about Reider, looks like he can bring some scoring so that's a good thing. Keumper was pretty great while here but I'm sure at this point wedgewood will do ok

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keumper for Reider and Wedgewood is good old fashion hockey trade. Both teams addressed needs.

From the Kings perspective they get a young speedy winger that can play in the bottom 6 of the line up. He's smaller in size about 5'11" 185lbs or so but has top end speed and good hands. They'll be able to use him on the PK which will save some ice time for the higher skilled players from having the kill penalties.

Keumper was playing great but he won't have many more starts the rest of his career with the Kings. The Kings don't have the money to re-sign him at the end of the year so he'll be gone to FA anyway. At best he would would have gotten 3-4 more starts the rest of the year.

The unknown is how Scott Wedgewood will turn out for the Kings and if they end up getting any value out of him. What will most likely happen next year is that Jack Campbell will get the back-up duties behind Quick while Cal Petersen is molded into the future number one the club feels he can be. Meanwhile Ranford will get to work with Wedgewood and maybe turn him into quality number 2 or 1A that the Kings organization has been known to do with young goalies. If this happens and he somehow manages to stick around in the System they can flip him into another important piece moving forward.

I was really sketchy about Blake taking over the GM position for the Kings but so far I think he's done a pretty good job. He's made his moves early giving the new players time to get 20-25 games together with their new team and make a push for the playoffs. This will pay dividends if the team makes it in. So far Blake's been able to address needs and plug holes without giving up high picks or prospects. Let's see how he does moving forward.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question: After Trade Deadline passes, can teams move players between NHL and AHL who are not Waiver Exempt? Or do normal Waivers still apply throughout end of regular season?

Wondering if the Kings put Wedgewood into Ontario and call up Campbell to back-up Quick. Either way, good job by Blake to get a piece from trading Keumper. Just don't want to over-use Quick by having him play the last 20+ games straight through the end of the season, plus hopefully playoffs.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reider is definitely fast, hopefully they get him on a line that clicks

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wedgewood waived:

Kings waive G Wedgewood after trade - Article - TSN

I was wondering why they acquired him, they had Campbell in the minors along with Cal Peterson, the college FA they signed from Notre Dame (my dad's Alma Mater - more useless information for you guys) last summer who has split time with Campbell almost 50/50 down the line. Looks like he will be getting his shot to be the de facto starter in Ontario at age 22 with Campbell being recalled yesterday to back up Quick and get experience with an NHL team battling for a PO spot down the stretch and Wedgewood will be fighting him for time in Ontario.

Wedgewood doesn't appear to be NHL material, some AHL time may do good for him or we may find he is simply a journeyman AHL player. He is listed as an RFA but will become a GVI UFA if the Kings don't qualify him (age 25 by June 30 of contract expiration year, less than 80 NHL games in a career or less than 28 games with 30+ minutes of game time - he has 24 career NHL games since being drafted by NJ in 2010) this summer. Haven't checked the Kings' Reserve List recently so I'd have to look and see if that is the case or if he is a filler for this season in Ontario with Campbell being recalled.

I think they acquired him to pull Campbell up full time to be Quick's back up for the remainder of the season and is expected to back up Quick next season (he signed a contract extension for 2 years/$1.35 million in November and would have been RFA this summer), Campbell has been spoken of highly the last year or so by Kings staff. Hope so, he was a 1st round pick of Dallas in 2010 so time is running out.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Wedgewood will back-up Peterson in Ontario. IF that Peterson turns out to be a good goalie (I know its a big "if"), will be interesting to see what Kings do in couple years. They could be faced with the same Murray/Fleury dilemma as in Pittsburgh with Vegas expansion (assuming Seattle expansion happens in couple years).

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Carter coming back I honestly hope there are no more deals for the Kings. IMO Blake has addressed every need the Kings have with what he had available. Mitchell and Thompson are great at FO and play that gritty go get em, no let up style I like. Phanuef while I still think he is a high priced pylon seems to fit in well and at least gives opposing players fits around Quick. Reider the speed he has is very noticeable and he has skill to go with it, he needs line mates that can jell with him and I think he will blossom. The rest is on the under performing guys, Muffin, AMart, TT, Pearson.....these guys need to step up and play some better/smarter hockey. If Carter is decent on his return I think this group has the potential to make a decent run if they manage to make it.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reider is definitely fast, hopefully they get him on a line that clicks

He has some jets, he looked decent in his first game on a new team. Saw him throw himself around a little bit too, which may become an issue because he isn't big, but it's nice to see he is trying to impress his new employer.

So Bowlby shuffled out Gaborik/Shore/Keumper and brought in Reider/Thompson/Phaneuf. Gaborik's cap hit was mostly flipped into Phaneuf and slotted into a T4 defense position that was sorely needed so that is a win and Phaneuf has been paying dividends immediately - not just in stats, he has been solid (he laid out Faksa last night hard. Faksa is physical too and has dished out some big hits on Kings the last few years so I don't know if that was a message sender or just coincidence it was Faksa but it was great to see) and I think Thompson has been good in the B6 adding some more grit and nasty than Shore did. Reider has added some much needed speed to the lineup but remains to be seen what his forte will be.

Bummed to see Keumper go, he was excellent but the Kings were not going to keep him. Even at the $1.85 million/season deal he just signed with the Dogs, that is too much for LA's blood to pay a back up. Similar situation as to why they didn't tender Storr his MQO in 2003, because of the RFA MQO parameters he had crept up to about $1.6 million and wasn't a started almost 10 years after being in the NHL. Can't spend that type of money on a back up goalie, especially these days in the cap era - $1 million tops and that is for someone who is established and has some sort of pedigree, generally they rate between $650-850,000 per season.

Overall not too bad for Blake, hasn't lost any major assets and has solidified the NHL lineup for a PO push/run. He's been conservative so far, should be interesting to see how he manages his first off season big deal (if at all).

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question: After Trade Deadline passes, can teams move players between NHL and AHL who are not Waiver Exempt? Or do normal Waivers still apply throughout end of regular season?

No.

Waivers apply all season long (preseason actually), 12 days prior to the start of the season through the end of the regular season. While roster limitations are lifted past the restricted 23 on Trade Deadline Day, Waivers still apply regardless. The Kings will not be able to assign a player to Ontario and guarantee they will make it there.

There are some other tweaks too such at the 4 player recall I mentioned earlier but it also works from the NHL level to the AHL level - for example, a team will no longer be able to loan a player to the AHL team unless it's for emergency purposes.