• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season Thread

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this "luck" conversation is fascinating. Certainly, in any sport, you need to catch some breaks to win it all. But three (potentially) Giants' World Series titles in 5 years bucks the "luck" argument. Similar to the Kings in hockey, the Giants believe (and know) that they can compete with anyone come playoff time. Selfless play, excellent in game management that maximizes players strengths (avoids their weaknesses), situational acuity, passion, relentless baseball. And it starts from the front office all the way down.

Maybe your "luck" argument holds water after one WS victory, however 3 WS appearances in 5 years? Sorry, they are just an elite organization that has created a culture of winning.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've certainly got luck this postseason... 12 of last 22 runs scored on non hits, Chode throws a ball into RF, Grichuk drops a ball right into his glove, Jay drops a ball right into his glove, Carpenter an error on a routine grounder... .197 with RISP

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've certainly got luck this postseason... 12 of last 22 runs scored on non hits, Chode throws a ball into RF, Grichuk drops a ball right into his glove, Jay drops a ball right into his glove, Carpenter an error on a routine grounder... .197 with RISP

Six things aren't luck. That's why they play best of 7. The best teams in October wins, period. The thing about SF, StL, and the teams I'm talking about revolve around playing well enough to make it to October, and then their best baseball is this month. That's what they do. That's what Boston has done for the past decade (mas o menos), and the Yankees of the late 90's, etc.

Now, you have teams that get to October and then seem to really dial in. The 2007 Rockies are another. You can have an argument for the 2005 White Sox, and the 2001 DBacks. Some put it together for one year, and some for enough to go off in October. But that's not luck.

And teams that have won 30 (SF) and 33 (StL) playoff games in the last 3 (SF) and 4 (StL) playoff years, over the last 5 total, are not lucky.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Six things aren't luck. That's why they play best of 7. The best teams in October wins, period. The thing about SF, StL, and the teams I'm talking about revolve around playing well enough to make it to October, and then their best baseball is this month. That's what they do. That's what Boston has done for the past decade (mas o menos), and the Yankees of the late 90's, etc.

Now, you have teams that get to October and then seem to really dial in. The 2007 Rockies are another. You can have an argument for the 2005 White Sox, and the 2001 DBacks. Some put it together for one year, and some for enough to go off in October. But that's not luck.

And teams that have won 30 (SF) and 33 (StL) playoff games in the last 3 (SF) and 4 (StL) playoff years, over the last 5 total, are not lucky.

3 bombs in the game clincher is not lucky, it's clutch when you just advanced to your third WS in 5 years. Great post, Cats

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well I completely disagree that the best team wins especially in a 5 game series

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well I completely disagree that the best team wins especially in a 5 game series

I'll give you that for the WC game, but even a 5 game series is reliant upon 5 games. That's one less win that a 7 game series. The difference is marginal. Compare that with NFL, etc. Luck is an event.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Couldn't the .197 with RISP be considered BAD luck? If the Giants hit just a little better with RISP (they had guys in scoring position continually), they would not have needed to take advantage of the miscues.

The Giants put the Nats and Cards in pressure situations over and over again. They were bound to make a miscue eventually.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, luck plays a part, and I'm thankful to the baseball gods for all the good fortune. However, the Giants are 30-11 in the postseason under Bochy, so you gotta give credit where it's due. Sabean has put together the right personnel, Bochy is pressing the right buttons, and the players are executing.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I'm not saying the Giants haven't been successful, it pains me to see the Giants continue to win games in October. It just seems things always bounce their way in October.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I'm not saying the Giants haven't been successful, it pains me to see the Giants continue to win games in October. It just seems things always bounce their way in October.

This is the Dodgers board. You are allowed to say what you like about the Giants here :)

That said, my experience here tells me that you guys are pretty level headed, so I thought I would drop in and give another POV on the situation.

The Giants apply constant pressure. This forces the manager, pitcher and defense to make decisions and plays. If they fail, even once, it results in good things for the Giants.

The Royals play a similar game. Their speed puts HUGE pressure on the fielders and pitcher, so errors tend to be made (either fielding errors or bad pitches).

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Things didn't bounce in our favor for years (decades). The baseball gods are finally giving us some fortune. :suds:

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the Dodgers board. You are allowed to say what you like about the Giants here :)

That said, my experience here tells me that you guys are pretty level headed, so I thought I would drop in and give another POV on the situation.

The Giants apply constant pressure. This forces the manager, pitcher and defense to make decisions and plays. If they fail, even once, it results in good things for the Giants.

The Royals play a similar game. Their speed puts HUGE pressure on the fielders and pitcher, so errors tend to be made (either fielding errors or bad pitches).

Great point and in the LA Dodger culture that has festered from the top down, none of what the Giants do applies to the personnel we have signed over the last 25 years. We are teams built with stacks of individuals selected by awful ownership. Players come to LA. For their IRA, their last big dip in the money pool and hope to play for organization that lets them be them.

San Fran, St. Louis, Boston, it's about the nuances, the little things from the top down all the way through the farm systems. A culture of winnung baseball, a winnung approach and a belief in the formula. We are so dysfunctional in LA, we have no identity, no approach. We've thrived on signing players to solve the riddle of losing. Which is ironic, because the last great owners we had, the Omalley's, sold the team because they could not keep up with high priced free agents.

Giants are so much more than what you said, but what you said is part of the puzzle. Tip my hat to you guys because you guys do it the right way and actually play the game for the dude next ro him. Meanwhile, I get to watch Han Ram go through the motions and show up if he feels like it. But no contract, no care in the end.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great point and in the LA Dodger culture that has festered from the top down, none of what the Giants do applies to the personnel we have signed over the last 25 years. We are teams built with stacks of individuals selected by awful ownership. Players come to LA. For their IRA, their last big dip in the money pool and hope to play for organization that lets them be them.

San Fran, St. Louis, Boston, it's about the nuances, the little things from the top down all the way through the farm systems. A culture of winnung baseball, a winnung approach and a belief in the formula. We are so dysfunctional in LA, we have no identity, no approach. We've thrived on signing players to solve the riddle of losing. Which is ironic, because the last great owners we had, the Omalley's, sold the team because they could not keep up with high priced free agents.

Giants are so much more than what you said, but what you said is part of the puzzle. Tip my hat to you guys because you guys do it the right way and actually play the game for the dude next ro him. Meanwhile, I get to watch Han Ram go through the motions and show up if he feels like it. But no contract, no care in the end.

Han Ram performed well in the playoffs this year just as he did last year.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There goes that luck again for the Giants. Up 5-0 in game. Just luck.

Lol

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching all of this playoff baseball and the Dodgers are light years behind. Teams work counts, move runners, maintain contact etc. This type of gritty baseball is likes Mars to me. I'm used to tons of Ks, no plate approach, quick ABs, big swings etc.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bumgarner placing himself atop all NL pitchers. Maybe the best in baseball?

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"gritty baseball" lol

It's actually the perfect word to describe the Giants, look it up as I know your vocabulary is limited. And, most Dodger fans have no idea what gritty baseball is as the team hasn't played it nearly thirty years.