• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season Thread

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not necessarily, no

you think the Royals are better than the Angels? Giants better than the Nationals? etc

Yes, more complete.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angels and Nats are more talented no doubt, but they aren't as well-rounded

KC has awesome defense and a great bullpen, Angels had Jared Weaver and that's about it for their starting staff.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, coming from the guy who thought the Dodgers had a shot in the playoffs with their 'pen well let's just say you're a bit outta touch.

Lol

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking to a Cards fan and a Giants fan about this. We pretty much agreed that there are a handful of factors that go into being what the Cards, Giants, and generally teams that get to the playoffs and win multiple WSs, let alone getting to a run of NLCs, etc.

Things like talent, payroll, experience, coaching, front office, and injuries all play their parts. Some of those overlap with multiple other factors. And, every once in a while you have a team that comes out of nowhere and plays out of their minds. They have hot streaks. Sometimes, it's the playoffs that bring that on; think '07 Rockies, or this year's Royals.

They happen, but when you look at the teams that are always there, they are there because they play well enough in the season to get there, yes, like the 90's Braves. But then you also have teams that play well together, and they play their best ball in October. The ability to play on teams that have those guys rubs off on everyone, especially when you have young guys who are brought up in the organization like that (Cardinals), or you bring guys in that have been chasing rings for a while (SF). Either way, you have a better understanding of what it's like when there is a normalized feeling in the clubhouse/organization that you can win, because you have won...multiple times.

You have seen that with the Red Sox, and the Yanks. You can also see that in SF and StL. LA doesn't have that. But there are guys on the roster who have won rings, and are in a stable enough position to take on the role of leaders (AGon, Hanley, Uribe), with some guys that have been chasing rings (Kershaw, Kemp, Ethier, Greinke, and Crawford), and you have guys brought up to compete (Dee, Ryu, Puig, SVS, and Turner to an extent).

It's obviously not a forgone conclusion. We're talking about some intangibles either way, as well as tangibles.

But the Royals don't come around every year and win the WS. There is a reason why the Red Sox, Cardinals, Giants, Phillies, and Yankees have won all of the WSs in the last decade. It's because when they won it, they were the best team in October that year. Just because SF was a wildcard, and the Cardinals had the weakest record of the division winners doesn't mean anyone was confused about how they would play in October. I'm not even saying that one of them will win it, but there is a reason why they are always in the WS playing for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, we got Andrew Friedman from the Devil Rays. More importantly, a Tulane guy! Brilliant!!

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only Uribe and Wilson have rings.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, we got Andrew Friedman from the Devil Rays. More importantly, a Tulane guy! Brilliant!!

I will only get excited if he brings Joe Maddon along with him.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friedman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am now excited for the offseason. Can we get Joe Maddon in here please?

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am now excited for the offseason. Can we get Joe Maddon in here please?

I wouldn't completely rule it out this winter, but probably Mattingly stays for at least 1 more year.

Buster Olney was saying it would be best for everybody if they could get Maddon, right now and not let it potentially hang over Mattingly's head.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't completely rule it out this winter, but probably Mattingly stays for at least 1 more year.

Buster Olney was saying it would be best for everybody if they could get Maddon, right now and not let it potentially hang over Mattingly's head.

Popular thought is Maddon is staying put as he wants an extension. Only hates the stadium in Tampa. Otherwise, his family is plants there and happy.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, coming from the guy who thought the Dodgers had a shot in the playoffs with their 'pen well let's just say you're a bit outta touch.

Lol

Actually the Dodgers did have a chance, a couple of Cards got some big hits, again shit happens. The cards don't play as a team any more than most teams do, a couple guys like Adams and Carpenter got big hits, almost fluke hits, left-handed hitters " normally" don't hit left-handed pitchers, let alone hit home runs off them.

Again all teams that win say afterwards that they played well as a team and that's how they got to be where they are, well either the Giants or Cards are going to lose and the winner will say that. What will the losing team say, supposedly they both play as a team?

The Cards, Giants, and Dodgers are all good teams, when you get to a 5 or 7 game playoff all bets are off, the best team doesn't always win, comes down to a combination of who is playing better right then and there, and who gets the breaks, and which manager is less of an idiot sometimes!

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Luck is the residue of design."

Mvpuig, if you need me to define residue, just let me know.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would want to snatch him up before Tampa resigns him.

Mattingly should be used to the pressure, his job has been in danger for the past two seasons. Dodgers fans are tired of waiting for another WS appearance, under normal circumstances Mattingly would have been fine with what he's done during his tenure with the Dodgers. The Dodgers have adopted the Lakers' "championship or bust" mentality and there's a high amount of expectation that come with that.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would want to snatch him up before Tampa resigns him.

Mattingly should be used to the pressure, his job has been in danger for the past two seasons. Dodgers fans are tired of waiting for another WS appearance, under normal circumstances Mattingly would have been fine with what he's done during his tenure with the Dodgers. The Dodgers have adopted the Lakers' "championship or bust" mentality and there's a high amount of expectation that come with that.

It would appear that Mattingly is going to stick around. Heck, if Colletti can hang on like the leach he is, well, Mattingly seems to be in the clear. I think we all agree, if a Maddon or someone more capable is available, pounce on it. But it appears the market might be tight.

We got a Tulane guy running the team, we will be fine.