• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Next game Wisconsin

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it wasn't the best plan by the Wisconsin QB. But please don't pretend like the refs didn't screw up royally. It's their job to know the rules and enforce them, and that includes when somebody does something in a weird way. Do you rule an illegal pass if somebody lobs it underhand? No. If somebody makes a tackle via a fingerpoke to the chest, do you spend twenty seconds trying to figure out what happened? No.

Wisconsin should definitely do that differently in the future. But that doesn't change the fact - FACT - that we got screwed this time.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking back at the tape....

I lay this on the QB...

When he takes a knee and places the ball on the turf and steps back there is 16 seconds left. That was a very strange looking play and a huge mistake on his part. He should have taken the knee and tossed the ball to the ref not leave it on the turf.

But instead he places the ball on the turf and steps back a way from it which is confusing to both ASU who thinks it is some sort of a live ball and I think the refs too.

fLDPaOV.jpg

There is 16 seconds left at this point and the clock is live.

When ASU covers the ball thinking it is live the clock is down to 12 seconds. Time moves very fast in situations like this...

ijX5SyI.jpg

Is the QB lining up his team for the spike, No he is arguing with the Ref that the ball should be down (tick tock)

tNLXN61.jpg

10 seconds...

5rkaMaT.jpg

7 seconds... This is about when he realizes he needs to spike the ball.. So he starts to line he players up....

SbLaGYo.jpg

But it is already too late. Look at the clock, it is at 3 seconds... Are they lined up, No. Even if they had been able to hike the ball at this point and spike it, the clock WOULD NOT HAVE STOPPED.

Starting in 2013, College rules say you have to spike the ball with more than 3 seconds on the clock or the time doesn't stop.

They still would have run out of time.

Clearly this whole situation would have been different if the QB had done the normal thing.... ASU couldn't have covered the ball thinking it was live, and he would not have been arguing with the ref that the ball was down and been lining his team up to spike the ball.

At that point the FB would have been assumed and ASU would have suffered another last second heartbreaking loss.

I bet you the QB never lays the ball down like that again in the future.

I can't remember seeing a QB do that before at the end of a game. Looked very strange and his knee action was very fast and hard for the defense to see.

Wow. Great explanation. And I agree. The problem with this play is that Wisconsin left it somewhat open to interpretation. Stave should have knelled and stayed down. After the fact he showed poor management, the clock wouldn't have stopped regardless of the confusion right? So why wasn't Wisconsin's FG unit out there? Because maybe the plan was to spike the ball after the knell in which case Stave WAS too late in doing. He should have got the troops lined up and ready to spike it immediately. Or Andersen should have tried to be lest cute and just kicked it and got the hell out of Dodge.

I think that the refs not giving an explanation of the entire situation is complete bullshit. Obviously the only way for this thing to work is that they must have thought it was a fumble. Otherwise it's a delay of game penalty against Jones. Also, the ground can't cause a fumble right? So even if Stave placed the ball down, he didn't let go of it before it was on the ground. It's a tough deal but I guarantee Wisconsin and other teams won't handle it the same way in the future.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GREAT WIN ASU

FORKWDEVIL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great recap WhoDat! I did not know about the .03 new ruling about spiking/downing the ball. I promise ASU will continue to capitalize on dumb B10 mistakes in the future! LOL.
Also, I loved Caputo's "fake" injury to get a free timeout so Wisconsin (in my mind had this one coming)

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All your pictures in sequence are nice good effort on posting what you thought actually happened. The report from coaches getting back to Madison is that the Refs blew the whistle with 15 seconds left in the game.

So everything you have posted in your pictures with less than 15 seconds left of the Badgers are them waiting for the refs to get the ball set since they blew the whistle. The play was over once the whistle was blown and it should not take 15 seconds to get the ball set to run the play to spike the ball. The reason the Badgers are standing around is because the whistle blew and are waiting for the refs to get their act together so they can spike the ball.

They cant just sit there and let the clock run out.

It was a strange way to lose a game but I am sure the letter Wisconsin gets from the PAC 12 conference telling us they are sorry for the mistake will make up for it.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the apology:

Pac-12 reprimands officials, but so what? - Big Ten Blog - ESPN

The Pac-12 agreed and issued the following statement on Monday afternoon:

Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott has reprimanded and taken additional sanctions against officials in Saturday night's Wisconsin at Arizona State game for failing to properly administer the end-of-game situation and act with appropriate urgency on the game's final play, it was announced today.

With 18 seconds remaining in the game, Wisconsin's quarterback ran the ball toward the center of the field, touched his knee to the ground and then placed the ball on the ground. There was initial uncertainty over whether the quarterback had taken a knee, given himself up or fumbled the ball. As a result several Arizona State players considered the ball live and a fumble, and attempted to recover the ball.

Neither the referee nor anyone on his crew moved with appropriate urgency to clearly communicate that the ball was to be spotted so play could resume promptly.

"This was an unusual situation to end the game," Scott said. “After a thorough review, we have determined that the officials fell short of the high standard in which Pac-12 games should be managed. We will continue to work with all our officials to ensure this type of situation never occurs again."

DweeberAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 928.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I GUARANTEE that Stave as a QB will never ever do that again. He will touch a knee and hand the ball to the Ref from now on. Eliminates all the other stuff completely. I wonder how many other coaches will make that point to their QB's this week as well.

Did the ref's screw up... probably, but that is a bell you can't un-ring.

Same thing goes for the stupid flashing drop the ball as you cross the end zone thing. Can't drop the ball before you cross the end zone if you are going to hand the ball to the ref when you are done. Pro or College. Some coaches already have that as a rule for their teams.

FORKWDEVIL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would you shut up about Will Sutton

Will Sutton needs to get to 290.
He, Will, will make some huge plays this year. You will eat those words.

He is still the Beast. He gets double teamed you idiot.

FORKWDEVIL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will continue to captilalize on B10 mistakes

I GUARANTEE that Stave as a QB will never ever do that again. He will touch a knee and hand the ball to the Ref from now on. Eliminates all the other stuff completely. I wonder how many other coaches will make that point to their QB's this week as well.

Did the ref's screw up... probably, but that is a bell you can't un-ring.

Same thing goes for the stupid flashing drop the ball as you cross the end zone thing. Can't drop the ball before you cross the end zone if you are going to hand the ball to the ref when you are done. Pro or College. Some coaches already have that as a rule for their teams.

True but we should not even let it get to that last play. ASU was playing football and Wisc screwed up. We capitalized on the error.

FORKWDEVIL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shall we give you the win back? Don't think so

And the apology:

Pac-12 reprimands officials, but so what? - Big Ten Blog - ESPN

The Pac-12 agreed and issued the following statement on Monday afternoon:
Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott has reprimanded and taken additional sanctions against officials in Saturday night's Wisconsin at Arizona State game for failing to properly administer the end-of-game situation and act with appropriate urgency on the game's final play, it was announced today.

With 18 seconds remaining in the game, Wisconsin's quarterback ran the ball toward the center of the field, touched his knee to the ground and then placed the ball on the ground. There was initial uncertainty over whether the quarterback had taken a knee, given himself up or fumbled the ball. As a result several Arizona State players considered the ball live and a fumble, and attempted to recover the ball.

Neither the referee nor anyone on his crew moved with appropriate urgency to clearly communicate that the ball was to be spotted so play could resume promptly.

"This was an unusual situation to end the game," Scott said. “After a thorough review, we have determined that the officials fell short of the high standard in which Pac-12 games should be managed. We will continue to work with all our officials to ensure this type of situation never occurs again."

He should have not laid it down so "mufty pufty, danty" It could even been viewed as a "fumble" so ASU dog piled on the ball because us FANS yelled "jump on it" Even we knew!

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington fan here and was rooting hard against ASU, having grown up in phoenix around nothing but ASU fans. I still think that game was B.S. and Wisconsin was screwed over by that ref.

However, Wisconsin fans are crying like a bunch of bitches, to the point where I feel no sympathy for them.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All your pictures in sequence are nice good effort on posting what you thought actually happened. The report from coaches getting back to Madison is that the Refs blew the whistle with 15 seconds left in the game.

So everything you have posted in your pictures with less than 15 seconds left of the Badgers are them waiting for the refs to get the ball set since they blew the whistle. The play was over once the whistle was blown and it should not take 15 seconds to get the ball set to run the play to spike the ball. The reason the Badgers are standing around is because the whistle blew and are waiting for the refs to get their act together so they can spike the ball.

They cant just sit there and let the clock run out.

It was a strange way to lose a game but I am sure the letter Wisconsin gets from the PAC 12 conference telling us they are sorry for the mistake will make up for it.

Fumbles get recovered after whistles all the time. Our players, staff, and fans thought it was a fumble and therefore jumped on the ball. Can't blame ASU one bit, it was dumb of Starve to do what he did period. Refs should have told Jones to get up or yelled no fumble or threw a flag. But Wisconsin should have lined up over Jones FORCING the issue. Whenever you LET the refs determine a game for you by trying to run three plays within 18 seconds or not trying to hustle you might not like the outcome. Wisconsin should have got another play though.

In the end the team that should have won did. We left a ton of points on the board, shot ourselves in the foot with the snap, and I'm pretty sure that RB stepped out twice.

Time to move on. Stop Bitching. It's conference season.

FORKWDEVIL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loss is coming for the snow dogs

Washington fan here and was rooting hard against ASU, having grown up in phoenix around nothing but ASU fans. I still think that game was B.S. and Wisconsin was screwed over by that ref.

However, Wisconsin fans are crying like a bunch of bitches, to the point where I feel no sympathy for them.

We will root for UW to lose next game. How does that feel?

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sum it up to Karma baby...

Have ASU fans so soon forgotten;

Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, Wis. On a third-and-3 play from the Wisconsin 18 in the third quarter, Arizona State QB Steven Threet sees T.J. Simpson open in the end zone. Wisconsin defensive back Niles Brinkley knows he's beat. So before the ball arrives, he shoves Simpson out of the end zone.

The side judge, a Big Ten official, is standing there staring at the play. It is textbook pass interference. No judgment is required. There is zero ambiguity. And there is no flag.

Wrote ESPN.com Big Ten blogger Adam Rittenberg at the time, "Wisconsin cornerback Niles Brinkley seemed fortunate to avoid a pass-interference penalty on the play, as he never turned around for the ball."

Wisconsin went on to win 20-19 when it blocked the Sun Devils' game-tying PAT attempt.

After the game, Sun Devils fans were enraged by the Big Ten officiating. They also didn't like a dubious block-in-the-back call that negated Jamal Miles' 80-yard punt return for a touchdown. They hurled a box full of angry mail my way.

They cried conspiracy. They wanted blood. They were robbed because of home cooking from Big Ten officials!

They sounded exactly like Wisconsin fans do now, though they didn't get much attention outside the Phoenix/Tempe area.

Don't feel guilty. Especially since the B1G officials stole a victory from you in the not so distant past.

:suds: