• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

new GM thread

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

this will go up once the NFL figures out the revenue for the year , last year it was 10 mil more

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More I think about kbso, the more I think harris might do the following which would be what nba teams are doing.

Find a current successful GM, and hire them as team president. Throw alot of money at them. The bump in pay and title change would be attractive to a lot of GMs I would think.

Have the team president hire a GM who would work under their direction but still get the GM title with pay bump. This is where the best assistant GMs would come in play like borgonzi and peters.

Have the GM hire an assistant GM.

Have the president and GM work together on filling out the rest of the front office. Scouting, marketing, cap guy, etc.

GM hires the head coach with input from team president.

I can see something similar to this because harris has done this same thing with the 76ers right?

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More I think about kbso, the more I think harris might do the following which would be what nba teams are doing.

Find a current successful GM, and hire them as team president. Throw alot of money at them. The bump in pay and title change would be attractive to a lot of GMs I would think.

Have the team president hire a GM who would work under their direction but still get the GM title with pay bump. This is where the best assistant GMs would come in play like borgonzi and peters.

Have the GM hire an assistant GM.

Have the president and GM work together on filling out the rest of the front office. Scouting, marketing, cap guy, etc.

GM hires the head coach with input from team president.

I can see something similar to this because harris has done this same thing with the 76ers right?
Kind of. You are giving Brand way too much credit in Philly. I promise you Morey makes ALL the decisions. Morey is probably a top 5 respected GM/Pres in the NBA.

It's not even a situation where Brand does things but Morey gets final say. It's more of a Brand is learning under Morey and taking notes.

As far as the Skins go. I've kinda settled on Peters. I don't want too many cooks in the kitchen. We all saw how that worked out once Gibbs decided he was a personnel man. Ran Bethard out of town. Team got old and slow. Gibbs started racing and Bethard took the Chargers to the Superbowl.

Not to say that more than one voice is always a bad thing. Lynch, Peters and I'm sure Shanahan all have somewhat of an input in SF and its working. Might want to check with @Niner Outlaw on that.

Ron, Mayhew, and Herney for example are living proof that it can go the other way too.

I want Harris to sit down with Shen, and make a decision. Hire a guy like Peters or someone else to run things and have him hire a coach. It will be the biggest decision of his ownership and we will hold him responsible for it. The wrong hire could burn through 90m and the picks and we are right back here four years later.

I have confidence in Harris though. I think it was either JP or Ben Standing that said Harris not firing Ron has made the Skins a more attractive job heading into the off-season. It showed other coaches and potential GM's that Harris is calculated and measured and will be willing to give any new coach a fair shot.

So far so good imo. Now if he would just change this name and go back the the Superbowl unis we might have to start mixing the cement for his statue outside of Verizon Stadium at RFK. Just kidding

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of. You are giving Brand way too much credit in Philly. I promise you Morey makes ALL the decisions. Morey is probably a top 5 respected GM/Pres in the NBA.

It's not even a situation where Brand does things but Morey gets final say. It's more of a Brand is learning under Morey and taking notes.

As far as the Skins go. I've kinda settled on Peters. I don't want too many cooks in the kitchen. We all saw how that worked out once Gibbs decided he was a personnel man. Ran Bethard out of town. Team got old and slow. Gibbs started racing and Bethard took the Chargers to the Superbowl.

Not to say that more than one voice is always a bad thing. Lynch, Peters and I'm sure Shanahan all have somewhat of an input in SF and its working. Might want to check with @Niner Outlaw on that.

Ron, Mayhew, and Herney for example are living proof that it can go the other way too.

I want Harris to sit down with Shen, and make a decision. Hire a guy like Peters or someone else to run things and have him hire a coach. It will be the biggest decision of his ownership and we will hold him responsible for it. The wrong hire could burn through 90m and the picks and we are right back here four years later.

I have confidence in Harris though. I think it was either JP or Ben Standing that said Harris not firing Ron has made the Skins a more attractive job heading into the off-season. It showed other coaches and potential GM's that Harris is calculated and measured and will be willing to give any new coach a fair shot.

So far so good imo. Now if he would just change this name and go back the the Superbowl unis we might have to start mixing the cement for his statue outside of Verizon Stadium at RFK. Just kidding
Was it about a year ago that Dan put the team up for sale. I'll bet you not less that that Harris has been researching. Remember he was a minority owner of the Steelers so he must have a few connections

I think, I don't know ... but I think that Harris has a plan based on owning other teams. I detailed this months ago. He's an analytics guy (what a shock for a guy that is good in math.) I suspect the Redskin FO will follow suit.

I don't know and really no one else knows what he is thinking. We can all say what we want or think but we have no idea. The mantra was "trust the process: Embid 1st round 3rd pick.... Jack Huges 1st round 1st pick. Do with that what you will.

I have some guys I have eyes on but I am going to let this all play out.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was it about a year ago that Dan put the team up for sale. I'll bet you not less that that Harris has been researching. Remember he was a minority owner of the Steelers so he must have a few connections

I think, I don't know ... but I think that Harris has a plan based on owning other teams. I detailed this months ago. He's an analytics guy (what a shock for a guy that is good in math.) I suspect the Redskin FO will follow suit.

I don't know and really no one else knows what he is thinking. We can all say what we want or think but we have no idea. The mantra was "trust the process: Embid 1st round 3rd pick.... Jack Huges 1st round 1st pick. Do with that what you will.

I have some guys I have eyes on but I am going to let this all play out.
Its just exciting that we are even able to discuss having a real football front office again. I was never a big Casserly fan, but he was miles better than Dan, Vinny, and Bruce.

Supposedly the is the "It" job right now and people are elbowing each other to get to it.

Honestly, there is not one player outside of McLaurin that i would be upset about if they were traded. Kinda want to give the new guy as blank a canvas as possible. This season can't end soon enough.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its just exciting that we are even able to discuss having a real football front office again. I was never a big Casserly fan, but he was miles better than Dan, Vinny, and Bruce.

Supposedly the is the "It" job right now and people are elbowing each other to get to it.

Honestly, there is not one player outside of McLaurin that i would be upset about if they were traded. Kinda want to give the new guy as blank a canvas as possible. This season can't end soon enough.
Yep, I am looking forward to seeing what happens. We have waited for this for a long time.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am probably getting the 76ers set up confused with the wizards setup.

Winger is team president and sets the agenda and goals. It is will dawkins, GM, job to carry out that vision.

Winger is strategy
Dawkins is day to day

When asked about who is making the 2023 draft pick, Winger said that it would be dawkins. I like that approach.

If we do have a president, I like that set up instead of the 76er model you described.
I will be happy with either set up but it might be overwhelming for peters or a current assistant GM to take on the president role and then have a GM report to them. Just my 2 cents.

That is what the wizards did. Winger was the clippers GM and took the wizards team president job. Will dawkins was the thunder assistant GM and took the wizards GM role.

Something like that makes sense to me. I am happy either route we go obviously because we are at least getting away from the owner as the GM model and stupid coach centric model.

Note that the 2 teams that currently use the coach centric model are more than likely moving away from that front office strategy: Washington and New england.

Last edited:

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've got it. That is my understanding of how things work in the Niner FO.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am probably getting the 76ers set up confused with the wizards setup.

Winger is team president and sets the agenda and goals. It is will dawkins, GM, job to carry out that vision.

Winger is strategy
Dawkins is day to day

When asked about who is making the 2023 draft pick, Winger said that it would be dawkins. I like that approach.

If we do have a president, I like that set up instead of the 76er model you described.
I will be happy with either set up but it might be overwhelming for peters or a current assistant GM to take on the president role and then have a GM report to them. Just my 2 cents.

That is what the wizards did. Winger was the clippers GM and took the wizards team president job. Will dawkins was the thunder assistant GM and took the wizards GM role.

Something like that makes sense to me. I am happy either route we go obviously because we are at least getting away from the owner as the GM model and stupid coach centric model.

Note that the 2 teams that currently use the coach centric model are more than likely moving away from that front office strategy: Washington and New england.
New England's roster is a mess!

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i absolutely love what im hearing and learning in this thread

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't pay for the Post but clearly Josh believes in Chen. Not sure where he will land .... interesting to watch.