• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Need opinions: Hunting GPS Map systems

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because of new housing developments, new malls etc, the prime hunting lands in South East Pennsylvania have been shrunk to near squat, so to try to stay ahead of the game and be where the deer are I've been looking into the Gramins and the like to see if they are worth spending the cash.

A little help boys -- have any of you have any solid experience working with one of these and are they really worth it?

Thanks.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because of new housing developments, new malls etc, the prime hunting lands in South East Pennsylvania have been shrunk to near squat, so to try to stay ahead of the game and be where the deer are I've been looking into the Gramins and the like to see if they are worth spending the cash.

A little help boys -- have any of you have any solid experience working with one of these and are they really worth it?

Thanks.

It's probably worth the investment, because I don't think they are too expensive.. but lately we've been finding some prime hunting area with Google Earth. Zoom around with your bird's eye view, scope out property you want to check out, and then get in your car and scout it out. If you spend an hour on Google Earth, you can save days of scouting.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Ed. Yeah...the price isnt a problem, it's just having yet another toy hanging off my belt that isn't worth it's weight. I've been all over google earth like you guys too and it is an excellent tool, but I thought these particular hunting maps are just like the commercial shows......specifying certain areas by color.

I guess what I'm needing confirmation with is - Just exactly accurate are these?

I'm not lazy by any means, but I (like most) don't have time to waste just driving around from field to field to field making sure the sectioned off area highlighted on the Garmin really is public/private lands. I'd hate like hell to drive 30-40-50 miles only to get there and see that what I thought was "huntable property" was in fact private.

I know I'm asking for a lot but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw your post in the Coffee thread...

I don't know about a Garmin, I have one on my work truck and I'd say it's accurate to within 100-300 feet.

My brother in law has a GPS that he bought for hunting, that thing is tits. I don't know the brand, but it's accurate down to the fucking tree you are standing next to. It can also track where you walked and set markers for next time, so you can ramble through the woods to the exact same spot in the dark. So yeah, if you get the right kind, they are dead accurate.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw your post in the Coffee thread...

I don't know about a Garmin, I have one on my work truck and I'd say it's accurate to within 100-300 feet.

My brother in law has a GPS that he bought for hunting, that thing is tits. I don't know the brand, but it's accurate down to the fucking tree you are standing next to. It can also track where you walked and set markers for next time, so you can ramble through the woods to the exact same spot in the dark. So yeah, if you get the right kind, they are dead accurate.

Nice. That's what I'm saying. Dead on accuracy. :)

If you'd be so kind, would you please drop the guy a line and see who the manufacturer/model # etc is?

Thanks man.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the Midwest posters we have here I thought one of them would be using this toy..

Hmm.. I guessed wrong. lol

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a Garmen eTrex, the lowest end model they make (bought it for $99). It's accurate to within ten feet, depending on how good the service is. It will also tell you how accurate it is, so if there is a hundred foot variance it will tell you. But he says it's usually dead nuts accurate. The more expensive models are even more accurate.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoa. Very nice. I've been eye balling those actually...

Thanks to you and your bud for the info. I appreciate it. :high5: