• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA Trade Talk 2021

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. It doesn't really make sense for either Cleveland or Drummond. I figure Stein's piece was just the Lakers putting out there to say "Hey Andre. Push for a buyout. We'll sign you"

The problem for Drummond and the Cavs is that the Cavs asking price may be too high for what Drummond is being paid and they are apparently playing "hard ball" with it.

For Drummond, I think it would depend on 2 things...How big is the haircut? He's never going to see another contract like the one he has. But he could still get a good sized one.

How bad does he want a ring? If the buyout is high enough, it could make signing for a vet min with a team that can get him a ring (plus playoff shares) a little easier to stomach. He's only 27, so he could go back on the FA market for a better deal after the season (especially if he plays well).

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with him.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marc Stein was saying today that the Lakers believe they have a real chance at getting Andre Drummond if the Cavs buy him out. Not sure why'd they buy him out, but hey, that's some news I guess.
Stein really went on a limb there. I would think they'd have a "real chance" to get anyone they want on the buy out market. Title contender, LA. Cannot be too tough a sell.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the Lakers want a guy who looks good on paper but has little impact on winning?
totally agree, but I guess low risk if they can get him for minimum.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The better the team the more a guy like that can impact winning. His rebounding alone changes the team for the better. There are nights that they all take off on the defensive end, he can sure that up.
After watching him I'm not so sure. He's gonna clog up the middle and when he gets the ball he's not giving it up until he exhausts every possibility to shoot.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching him I'm not so sure. He's gonna clog up the middle and when he gets the ball he's not giving it up until he exhausts every possibility to shoot.

The one thing that could help is if he understands his role. With the Cavs, he's not winning a title. so why not gather stats?

On a contender, as I mentioned earlier, he'd have to understand that he's there for defense, rebounds and whatever points he gets will be as a 3rd or 4th option (maybe even 5th) depending on who's on the floor with him.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing that could help is if he understands his role. With the Cavs, he's not winning a title. so why not gather stats?

On a contender, as I mentioned earlier, he'd have to understand that he's there for defense, rebounds and whatever points he gets will be as a 3rd or 4th option (maybe even 5th) depending on who's on the floor with him.
Never really been in the role of being 3rd or 4th option on a good team with shot at a title....so certainly possible he'd be smart and accept his role to win a title knowing if not happy he could always leave after the season.

And I guess if you are the team picking up can always let him go or bench him if he wont.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IMO he's also too young to be accepting buy-outs and going to a contender. He's only 27 and he should be focused on getting his next big deal. Being bought out and then going to a contender where his role will be limited only puts a constraint on what he could earn. I wouldn't personally do this if I was him, but I'd wait until much later in my career to consider these options. At the very least if he's traded it means the team trading for him puts some value on him and therefore would give him an opportunity to produce. Keeps his numbers and his production up.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO he's also too young to be accepting buy-outs and going to a contender. He's only 27 and he should be focused on getting his next big deal. Being bought out and then going to a contender where his role will be limited only puts a constraint on what he could earn. I wouldn't personally do this if I was him, but I'd wait until much later in my career to consider these options. At the very least if he's traded it means the team trading for him puts some value on him and therefore would give him an opportunity to produce. Keeps his numbers and his production up.
Now I can agree with those who say don't give up too much cashola, but not sure how sitting out the rest of the season would be better than a limited role if trying to impress teams in the FA market.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Allen Robinson is reporting Drummond will sign with the Nets. Cannot say this is much different than the reports at this time from the Insiders.......

from Robinson - "Per sources, Andre Drummond will be signing with the nets. They get some reinforcement on the defensive end and the glass. Look for them to still be active around the trade deadline lol"

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that you overestimate what he does. Don't get me wrong, I like Andre, but he has flaws. A significant number of his rebounds come from getting the ball back when he blows putting it back in. Watch him, it'll literally take him multiple attempts to put it in the hoop, each of those is a rebound. His defense is very good away from the basket, but he doesn't do well with physical big men; he either gets in foul trouble or shies away-on both ends of the court. And he is good on the pick and roll if all you are looking for is rolling straight to the hoop for the alley-oop, but that is easy to figure out and he is not a threat away from the hoop. When he left Detroit he was developing a little hook so he could be good from about 5 feet in, but that is still going to clog up the lane. I think it says something when he was fairly easily replaced by Christian Wood and Jarrett Allen.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that you overestimate what he does. Don't get me wrong, I like Andre, but he has flaws. A significant number of his rebounds come from getting the ball back when he blows putting it back in. Watch him, it'll literally take him multiple attempts to put it in the hoop, each of those is a rebound. His defense is very good away from the basket, but he doesn't do well with physical big men; he either gets in foul trouble or shies away-on both ends of the court. And he is good on the pick and roll if all you are looking for is rolling straight to the hoop for the alley-oop, but that is easy to figure out and he is not a threat away from the hoop. When he left Detroit he was developing a little hook so he could be good from about 5 feet in, but that is still going to clog up the lane. I think it says something when he was fairly easily replaced by Christian Wood and Jarrett Allen.
Good points......and didn't even mention the ball is stopping with him until he exhausts every chance he has to shoot it.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Allen Robinson is reporting Drummond will sign with the Nets. Cannot say this is much different than the reports at this time from the Insiders.......

from Robinson - "Per sources, Andre Drummond will be signing with the nets. They get some reinforcement on the defensive end and the glass. Look for them to still be active around the trade deadline lol"
Does this open up Blake's return to LA?

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Griffin already signed with the Nets I believe

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn! yup, there he is on the roster, wasting space.
Those guys only play when they feel like it so he will get plenty of chances.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those guys only play when they feel like it so he will get plenty of chances.
Chances to what? Go back on the injured list?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points......and didn't even mention the ball is stopping with him until he exhausts every chance he has to shoot it.

I still don't see a scenarios where the Cavs buy him out. If I'm Drummond I want every last dollar because you have no idea what the market will be for guys like him in the future. So unless the Cavs are willing to make him whole, which is completely pointless for them, it is hard to envision him leaving Cleveland this year by any means other than a trade.

Seems like there would be more than a few teams willing to give something for Drummond's contract. Clearing 28 million in space for FA could be useful for some teams.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that I'm biased, but I worry when Cav's fans agree with me.

be afraid the fly GIF

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't see a scenarios where the Cavs buy him out. If I'm Drummond I want every last dollar because you have no idea what the market will be for guys like him in the future. So unless the Cavs are willing to make him whole, which is completely pointless for them, it is hard to envision him leaving Cleveland this year by any means other than a trade.

Seems like there would be more than a few teams willing to give something for Drummond's contract. Clearing 28 million in space for FA could be useful for some teams.

not to mention a bad post season could basically whiteside you...and he didn’t really have that bad of a year