• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Moves I would like to see from the Mariners

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. DFA Harang and bring up anybody, prefer one of the younger kids, put him in the 5th spot and let him succeed, fail, whatever for the rest of the year. I'm tired of protecting these kids, let's see what we got.

2. DFA Andino and bring up Franklin or Truinfell. Let one of these kids split time with Ryan for the rest of the year.... again, let's see what we got.

3. Send Ackley and Montero down to AAA. We'll see you guys next spring training.

4. Trade Willhelmsen at the trade deadline and a combination of Smoak, Kuma (maybe not Kuma) one of our "big 3" down in the minors for some more bats. There will be a team on the fringe of the play offs that will overpay for a very good closer.

5. I'm tired of Guiterrez, I just want to see him gone.

6. Oh, and I want to see Hansen/Ballmer buy the Mariners. Is that too much to ask?

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. DFA Harang and bring up anybody, prefer one of the younger kids, put him in the 5th spot and let him succeed, fail, whatever for the rest of the year. I'm tired of protecting these kids, let's see what we got.

2. DFA Andino and bring up Franklin or Truinfell. Let one of these kids split time with Ryan for the rest of the year.... again, let's see what we got.

3. Send Ackley and Montero down to AAA. We'll see you guys next spring training.

4. Trade Willhelmsen at the trade deadline and a combination of Smoak, Kuma (maybe not Kuma) one of our "big 3" down in the minors for some more bats. There will be a team on the fringe of the play offs that will overpay for a very good closer.

6. Oh, and I want to see Hansen/Ballmer buy the Mariners. Is that too much to ask?

1. There is nobody to replace Harang. I don't think much of him but I think they are stuck with him unless they make a trade. Hultzen is hurt, Rameriz is hurt.

2. Yes. Get rid of Andino. Truinfel would probably be the guy to get the call up.

3. You got your wish, partially. Montero got sent down this morning. Ackley we are stuck with for a bit longer.

4. Why are you guys on these threads (and CBS) always in such a hurry to trade Wilhelmsen? Bad idea, especially with Pryor on the 60-day DL. I know that sometimes it seems like closers grow on trees. But, they don't.

5. Bay and Gutierrez are basically the same player. They hit left-handers well, they don't hit right-handers well. But somehow they both made the team. I think it will stay that way when Guti comes off the DL, even though it makes no sense.

6. We need new owners. Mark Cuban is my choice, but Hansen/Ballmer would work too.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. There is nobody to replace Harang. I don't think much of him but I think they are stuck with him unless they make a trade. Hultzen is hurt, Rameriz is hurt.

2. Yes. Get rid of Andino. Truinfel would probably be the guy to get the call up.

3. You got your wish, partially. Montero got sent down this morning. Ackley we are stuck with for a bit longer.

4. Why are you guys on these threads (and CBS) always in such a hurry to trade Wilhelmsen? Bad idea, especially with Pryor on the 60-day DL. I know that sometimes it seems like closers grow on trees. But, they don't.

5. Bay and Gutierrez are basically the same player. They hit left-handers well, they don't hit right-handers well. But somehow they both made the team. I think it will stay that way when Guti comes off the DL, even though it makes no sense.

6. We need new owners. Mark Cuban is my choice, but Hansen/Ballmer would work too.

regarding Wilhelmsen, I just feel he is our only solid trading piece.

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
regarding Wilhelmsen, I just feel he is our only solid trading piece.

Smoak has some trade value and now is the time to trade him. Next year he'll be arbitration-eligible and will probably command a salary of $2 million or more. But they can't really trade Smoak unless they have a back up plan for first base. Maybe they can talk Morales into signing an extension.

If I was the GM, I'd start grooming Zunino to play first base. As good of a hitter as he projects to be, I don't like the idea of him catching. Catchers need to be rested about 30 games a year and their shelf life as an affective offensive player is much shorter than the other positions.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does selling the team to someone who both understands the game, and will attend the games fit here anywhere. And, if it does, can the new owner be a billionaire, who is more than willing to become "only" a multi-millionaire, as he wants to keep pumping $$ into the org until it wins?

Or, like always, am I asking way too much?

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does selling the team to someone who both understands the game, and will attend the games fit here anywhere. And, if it does, can the new owner be a billionaire, who is more than willing to become "only" a multi-millionaire, as he wants to keep pumping $$ into the org until it wins?

Or, like always, am I asking way too much?

Sounds good to me, but things like that generally don't happen in Seattle. Well, sports-related things like that don't happen, anyway. If Paul Allen loved the Mariners as much as he loves the Seahawks and Jimi Hendrix then I wouldn't be as pessimistic.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smoak has some trade value and now is the time to trade him. Next year he'll be arbitration-eligible and will probably command a salary of $2 million or more. But they can't really trade Smoak unless they have a back up plan for first base. Maybe they can talk Morales into signing an extension.

If I was the GM, I'd start grooming Zunino to play first base. As good of a hitter as he projects to be, I don't like the idea of him catching. Catchers need to be rested about 30 games a year and their shelf life as an affective offensive player is much shorter than the other positions.

You might be right, but I can't see Smoak going for much at the trade deadline this year, and really what could you expect to get for a .200 hitting first baseman?

I'm thinking of a hot commodity for team in contention this year... like a dominant closer.

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be right, but I can't see Smoak going for much at the trade deadline this year, and really what could you expect to get for a .200 hitting first baseman?

I'm thinking of a hot commodity for team in contention this year... like a dominant closer.

Assuming the Ms have a firesale in July, I'd rank the team's hottest commodities in this order. The list excludes players I think the team will not trade

1. Morse - hot
2. Morales - hot
3. Oliver Perez - hot
4. Ibanez - luke warm
5. Montero - warm. Someone will take a flyer on him, based upon his potential
6. Shoppach - luke warm. Serviceable back up catchers are always in demand
7. Smoak - warm. Someone will take a flyer on him, based upon his potential
8. Joe Saunders - warm. Contender looking for an innings eater
9. Endy Chavez - room temperature
10. Ryan - cool
11. Bay - cold
12. Harang - ice cold

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Paul Allen loved the Mariners as much as he loves the Seahawks and Jimi Hendrix then I wouldn't be as pessimistic.

He of course would be perfect. And, he has shown that he will put tons of $$ behind his passions. Maybe he can dump whatever interest he has in the Trail Blazers ( if any now ), and move his love to the M's?

And, if so, then maybe he could find a catcher that can actually both catch AND hit?

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming the Ms have a firesale in July, I'd rank the team's hottest commodities in this order. The list excludes players I think the team will not trade

1. Morse - hot
2. Morales - hot
3. Oliver Perez - hot
4. Ibanez - luke warm
5. Montero - warm. Someone will take a flyer on him, based upon his potential
6. Shoppach - luke warm. Serviceable back up catchers are always in demand
7. Smoak - warm. Someone will take a flyer on him, based upon his potential
8. Joe Saunders - warm. Contender looking for an innings eater
9. Endy Chavez - room temperature
10. Ryan - cool
11. Bay - cold
12. Harang - ice cold

I would like to see them hold on to either Morales or Morse. The rest can all go as far as I'm concerned, well, Perez might be somebody to hold on to.

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He of course would be perfect. And, he has shown that he will put tons of $$ behind his passions. Maybe he can dump whatever interest he has in the Trail Blazers ( if any now ), and move his love to the M's?

And, if so, then maybe he could find a catcher that can actually both catch AND hit?

I'd settle for a Dan Wilson clone. Hit good enough. Handles pitchers like a shrink, silent, strong clubhouse leadership, and excellent at cleaning the dirt off of homeplate after Pineilla kicked dirt all over it.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd settle for a Dan Wilson clone. Hit good enough. Handles pitchers like a shrink, silent, strong clubhouse leadership, and excellent at cleaning the dirt off of homeplate after Pineilla kicked dirt all over it.

Agreed. And, in fact, I was thinking about him when I was responding before, and trying to think if they have had anybody worth anything behind the plate after he left.

I came up empty.

Just off the top of my head, it took the Mets something like 25 years to get a good 3B guy, and then, there was a 10-15 year gap until they got David Wright, so........, there is hope.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This just in. Whether or not it is 100% fact, I am NOT certain.

However, along with his demotion to AAA, Montero was told to turn in his glove and gear, as his days as a 1B with the M's appear to be over. I am hearing they want him to become a full time 1B, as they are not giving up on him or his bat, just his current glove.

Hmmmm. Probably a good and smart move, as catchers who can hit end up as slugging 1B guys ( Mike Sweeney/Carlos Delgado ), or if they have the footwork, they become 3B guys ( Todd Zeile / Joe Torre ).

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This just in. Whether or not it is 100% fact, I am NOT certain.

However, along with his demotion to AAA, Montero was told to turn in his glove and gear, as his days as a 1B with the M's appear to be over. ( Todd Zeile / Joe Torre ).

Yeah, I heard that too, although I think it is somewhat over-dramatized. For one thing, the guy is still #3 on the Mariners depth chart at catcher. Zunino simply is not ready yet and rushing him would do more harm than good. So, if Shoppach or Sucre get hurt, Monytero is going to be right back on the Ms 25-man roster....as a catcher.

So, no, they aren't having him stop catching duties all together. But, there is no doubt that catching is no longer in his longterm with the Ms.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harang, Bonderman, Beaven are pretty much interchangable in my mind at this point.
Bottom line is even though we were swept in Cleveland. You could tell the fight was there especially in the late innings. However when you get doors blown off in 1st inning you might as well just kick your team in the gut. Both games in LA were done after the 1st inning. The bullpen was beat up in Cleveland so not even be able to 4 innings was a real dissappoint.

Its frustrating that we just have to sit back and watch the back end of the rotation get killed everytime out there.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as far as the rotation goes im sure the plan at the beginning of the season was to have danny hultzen on stand by ready to come up and pitch in the majors and im sure they would have done so already because this back end of the rotation is terrible. Like i said in previous posts if its not felix or kuma pitching get your prayer beads ready because it can get ugly. but if it wasnt for hultzens injury im sure he would have been promoted because he was pitching very well up until his injury.

I said from the very very very beginning of the season even in spring training that erasmo ramirez should be in the rotation everybody was jumping on the maur bandwagon but erasmo kinda got the shaft and now we need starting pitching bad

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds good to me, but things like that generally don't happen in Seattle. Well, sports-related things like that don't happen, anyway. If Paul Allen loved the Mariners as much as he loves the Seahawks and Jimi Hendrix then I wouldn't be as pessimistic.

You forgot his passion for star trek as he wanted to build a multi million dollar replica of the enterprise....why do all the wealthy people in Seattle love basketball but don't give a zip about baseball. 41 games to make money or 81, seems easy to me.

Am I'm for trading the bartender as I was for all the previous closers because the team isn't going to need a closer for a few years and as we saw with Aardsma and League, there is a high demand at the deadline but their stock drops to Chone Figgins level just as quick.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Goodbye Andino

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, I think Banned10x and I should be running this team.

234, you are the 3rd base coach.

3, you're first base coach.

wazzu, your the new Rainiers manager

Kaehleone can be the ballgirl

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My hope is Truinfel will be playing on a semi-regular basis, more then Andino did. Otherwise a move like this is pointless. Time to figure out if Carlos has some staying power in the bigs.

On a side note Montero was 0-2 last night and saw 3 pitches in 2 Abs and Bonderman got lit like a Christmas tree