• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Melo gone

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looney was the 30th pick and Bell and McCaw were second round picks that weren't even the Warriors. They bought into those spots specifically for guys they thought who could contribute to their team. Even all 3 of those guys never become anything more than back end guys, they still have served their purposes in producing for the team helping to win them championships. All 3 of those guys got minutes in NBA Finals in crucial games.

LOL at also stricking out with DeAndre Jordan too. They signed him to a contract, if you don't recall. He was an RFA at the time and the Clippers matched.
and as for DeAndre- my point is- the Lineup of Death would have been DOA if there plan went through and they actually got Jordan like they tried to.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah I remember they used their amnesty on Charlie Bell in order to carve out max room for DeAndre.

McCaw played a TOTAL of 45 MINUTES in the last 2 NBA Finals. lol

Looney did dominate with 18 minutes a game and 4 and 4 a game in the playoffs---- better than Bell's 11 minutes and 2 points ,3 boards per game.

No one in their right mind could possibly say that McCaw, Looney or Bell are "hits".

Anybody drafted late first or early 2nd that makes it as a rotation player for a championship team is a "hit".

By the way, that is 2 straight years the Warriors have had a 2nd round rookie in their rotation. I was told that was impossible?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize Sexton was 4.

Anybody in the top 20 could have played almost anywhere. Doesn't mean they are NBA ready. Point guards in particular benefit a lot from that year in college.

And why you have to be such an asshole about it? I know I don't make mistakes very often like you, but damn.
thats why i said maybe you just fucked that one up.....geez. i mean obviously you didnt look- and i suppose seeing a guy went to Alabama might have led you to believe that---- but that just shows you dont know colin sexton.

There are not many prospects that have both the pedigree and natural talent of sexton, combined with the work ethic and intelligence. HE went to Bama because he didnt want to go to a loaded team like a Duke or UNC etc....he wanted to be a leader. Long after he had to go to class he still went and got straight A's. Avery Johnson is the coach at Bama and you should see how he talks about Sexton.

Id trade Sexton is a second for Jackson or Doncic or Ayton---- but I have not seen many lotto's whwere a guy like Sexton goes 8---- let alone other guys like Knox going 9, Bridgees going 10, other Bridges going in the late lotto too.

this draft class is one of the deepest i ahve ever seen

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize Sexton was 4.

Anybody in the top 20 could have played almost anywhere. Doesn't mean they are NBA ready. Point guards in particular benefit a lot from that year in college.

And why you have to be such an asshole about it? I know I don't make mistakes very often like you, but damn.
i mean- you coudlnt have even looked right? just pulled it out of your ass thinking it sounded right?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah I remember they used their amnesty on Charlie Bell in order to carve out max room for DeAndre.

McCaw played a TOTAL of 45 MINUTES in the last 2 NBA Finals. lol

Looney did dominate with 18 minutes a game and 4 and 4 a game in the playoffs---- better than Bell's 11 minutes and 2 points ,3 boards per game.

No one in their right mind could possibly say that McCaw, Looney or Bell are "hits".

Kind of cherry picking the last two finals since he was just getting back from injury in this years finals. LOL, but whatever works for you man.

Also Looney was vital to the Warriors beating the Rockets. Bell was vital to the finals.

I didn't say they were hits. I said they were the right pieces for the right time. What's more impressive: Drafting the talent, or surrounding your talent with the right guys? Again I said that they might never be anything more than rotational guys. Hell maybe McCaw doesnt' even last in the NBA past next year. But the fact he bought into the second round for a player he thought could contribute and did so as a rookie in the NBA finals is impressive, wouldn't you say?

He traded Monta Ellis for Andrew Bogut. He also DIDN'T trade Klay Thompson for Kevin Love which has to be a factor here. That's hard to pass up at that time.

There's much more to being a GM than actually just selecting talented players. It's creating the right fits and being in-tune with the players and the game itself. Bob has a background in both being a former collegiate player and an Agent.

You said it yourself, 2nd round picks never make an impact. Yet here we are, two years in a row when a Warriors rookie has played well enough to insert themselves into important minutes in NBA FINALS games.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean- you coudlnt have even looked right? just pulled it out of your ass thinking it sounded right?

No, I didn't actually.

I remember watching an Alabama game and the commentator was talking about Sexton coming out of nowhere.

Perhaps it was his senior year of high school where he really blew up, or perhaps the commentator was wrong or perhaps I Missed some context, but I remember his comments.

So no, I didn't "just pull it out of my ass".

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ok, so I did just look.

I was just a year off.

Sexton was completely off the radar heading into the summer before his senior year, and he blew up on the AAU circuit that summer.

That was what the commentator was talking about. I just took it out of context and thought Sexton was relatively unheralded heading to Alabama.

Obviously I was wrong. But it isn't a ridiculous mistake if you actually knew Sexton's story as well as you claim. Because he did come of nowhere during the summer of 2016.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schroder single-handedly chopped apart Utah's vaunted defense last season...Those of us that have actually seen him play aren't that surprised:

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schroder single-handedly chopped apart Utah's vaunted defense last season...Those of us that have actually seen him play aren't that surprised:

The Thunder could use someone who can beat the Jazz. :doh:

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thunder going to run even more this year, anxious to see how he plays in to that.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even close, getting rid of Melo saved them over $100 mil.

Actually, it saved them less than that since they took back salary. They will make up for that in future seasons though (if they dump Schroeder off on someone next summer).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I would still take Presti to run my team 365 days a year over yourself.

OKC has needed a second point guard for years (especially now with Russ turning 30), and they got one. Westbrook will no longer have to average triple doubles in order for them to have a chance to win. It's also not crazy to think Schroder could become a better shooter in a better system with more open looks, and he will still get his 25 minutes a night.

Schroeder is still a luxury tax problem though, and I expect them to dump his contract when appropriate as well. You can find a utilitarian backup PG much cheaper.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schroeder is still a luxury tax problem though, and I expect them to dump his contract when appropriate as well. You can find a utilitarian backup PG much cheaper.
I am kinda split on him.

He would be a very nice guy to run the 2nd unit and create offense. Obviously the entire deal was both salary driven, and to get rid of Melo who did not want to come off the bench and was hindering the Thunder overall. If Melo was still shooting well thats one thing- but he is an incredibly weak defender and the Thunder's identity is defense. It really undermines them to have a guy who is so terrible defensively.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am kinda split on him.

He would be a very nice guy to run the 2nd unit and create offense. Obviously the entire deal was both salary driven, and to get rid of Melo who did not want to come off the bench and was hindering the Thunder overall. If Melo was still shooting well thats one thing- but he is an incredibly weak defender and the Thunder's identity is defense. It really undermines them to have a guy who is so terrible defensively.

And who can't shoot....

Those backing the Shroder acquisition, answer this question:

If Melo were already gone, would you think it wise to acquire Shroder at his contract given his projected fit with Russ and the rest of the roster?

If the answer is no, you are kind of proving my point. OKC could have bought Melo out or stretched him. Now they have Shroder for the next 3 years unless they choose to attach another asset to move him.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And who can't shoot....

Those backing the Shroder acquisition, answer this question:

If Melo were already gone, would you think it wise to acquire Shroder at his contract given his projected fit with Russ and the rest of the roster?

If the answer is no, you are kind of proving my point. OKC could have bought Melo out or stretched him. Now they have Shroder for the next 3 years unless they choose to attach another asset to move him.
if it was just a pickup- yah I would take him - he is a very talented player- but no i would not want to take him at his contract.

I absolutely think Schroeder will help them- but hes not worth the money he is getting- but trading for him saved them like 50 million bucks or something.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if it was just a pickup- yah I would take him - he is a very talented player- but no i would not want to take him at his contract.

I absolutely think Schroeder will help them- but hes not worth the money he is getting- but trading for him saved them like 50 million bucks or something.

However, trading for him cost them the balance of the 100m savings they could've had this season by stretching Melo instead. Of course, that's offset a bit by any luxury penalties incurred in future seasons by Melo's stretched contract, but I think it clearly points to Schroeder being moved if possible.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, trading for him cost them the balance of the 100m savings they could've had this season by stretching Melo instead. Of course, that's offset a bit by any luxury penalties incurred in future seasons by Melo's stretched contract, but I think it clearly points to Schroeder being moved if possible.

Shroder will be making a lot more over the next 2 than Melo would have been had they stretched him.

I will never praise any franchise who wants to call themselves contenders when they make a move where the primary objective is to cut costs over maximizing their chance to win. Maybe that isn't what Presti was thinking here, but it seems like that to me.

Now, if the a team like the Grizzlies decides to cut payroll, that is much different.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and if worst comes to worst than you just stretch schroeder, who has a longer contract that is also a cheaper contract- saving even more money.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shroder will be making a lot more over the next 2 than Melo would have been had they stretched him.

I will never praise any franchise who wants to call themselves contenders when they make a move where the primary objective is to cut costs over maximizing their chance to win. Maybe that isn't what Presti was thinking here, but it seems like that to me.

Now, if the a team like the Grizzlies decides to cut payroll, that is much different.
didnt they get better getting Schroeder for Melo? I certainly think they did. It would be hard for me to believe you dont.

and at some point- the marginal return is what it is.

Even with Schroeder I think that the Thunder will have the highest payroll in NBA history. Its hard to call them cheap at that point- lol- with the highest payroll in NBA history- but it would not surprise me if you tried to continue to frame it that way.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didnt they get better getting Schroeder for Melo? I certainly think they did. It would be hard for me to believe you dont.

I don't think the question should be does Schroder make them better, he does.

Imo, the question should be, does he make them better enough to justify the move? I don't think he does.