• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Melo gone

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a look at the top recruit list from 2017 (dated 4/20/17) and how many of them were drafted in 2018. Your estimates may be low (sorry about the lack of formatting). By the way, Sexton was ranked tied for 4th and Trae was 21st in the class, not exactly "not good enough".

Rank Player Pos. Ht School State College 247 ESPN Scout Rivals Avg.
1 Michael Porter Jr. SF 6-10 Nathan Hale WA Missouri 1 1 1 1 1.00
2 Mohamed Bamba C 6-11 Westtown School PA Uncommitted 2 3 2 2 2.25
3 DeAndre Ayton C 7-0 Hillcrest Academy AZ Arizona 4 2 3 3 3.00
T4 Wendell Carter Jr. PF 6-10 Pace Academy GA Duke 9 4 4 5 5.50
T4 Trevon Duval PG 6-3 IMG Academy FL Uncommitted 6 5 7 4 5.50
T4 Collin Sexton SG 6-2 Pebblebrook GA Alabama 3 6 6 7 5.50
7 Jaren Jackson PF 6-10 La Lumiere IN Michigan St. 7 8 5 6 6.50
8 Mitchell Robinson C 7-0 Chalmette LA W. Kentucky 5 10 8 8 7.75
9 Kevin Knox SF 6-8 Tampa Catholic FL Uncommitted 17 9 9 9 11.00
10 Troy Brown Jr. SF 6-7 Centennial NV Oregon 11 14 13 12 12.50
11 Jarred Vanderbilt PF 6-8 Victory Prep TX Kentucky 8 18 11 13 12.50
12 Brandon McCoy C 6-10 Cathedral Catholic CA Uncommitted 15 15 12 11 13.25
13 P.J. Washington PF 6-8 Findlay Prep NV Kentucky 18 11 14 14 14.25
14 Lonnie Walker SF 6-5 Reading PA Miami 13 12 15 18 14.50
15 Gary Trent Jr. SG 6-5 Prolific Prep CA Duke 16 7 19 17 14.75
16 Nick Richards C 6-11 Patrick School NJ Kentucky 14 16 16 16 15.50
17 Brian Bowen SF 6-7 La Lumiere IN Uncommitted 12 13 18 20 15.75
18 Billy Preston PF 6-10 Oak Hill VA Kansas 21 17 21 10 17.25
19 Kris Wilkes SF 6-8 North Central IN UCLA 22 24 17 19 20.50
20 Jaylen Hands PG 6-0 Foothills Christian CA UCLA 20 19 25 22 21.50
21 Trae Young PG 6-2 Norman North OK Uncommitted 27 22 23 15 21.75
22 Quade Green PG 6-1 Neumann-Goretti PA Kentucky 30 23 22 21 24.00
23 Malik Williams PF 7-0 Snider IN Louisville 28 27 20 27 25.50
24 M.J. Walker SG 6-5 Jonesboro GA Uncommitted 32 25 28 24 27.25
25 Nick Weatherspoon PG 6-2 Jackson Magnet MS Mississippi St. 23 34 24 32 28.25
26 Jalek Felton SG 6-2 Gray Collegiate SC North Carolina 35 26 27 26 28.50
T27 John Petty SG 6-5 Jemison AL Alabama 31 21 45 25 30.50
T27 Shai Gilgeous-Alexander PG 6-5 Hamilton Heights TN Kentucky 19 33 39 31 30.50
29 Paul Scruggs PG 6-4 Prolific Prep CA Xavier 29 30 29 36 31.00
30 Lindell Wigginton SG 6-1 Oak Hill VA Iowa State 43 37 32 23 33.75

I am basing my estimates off what actually happened in the early 2000s when high schoolers could go.

Players undergo a lot of development, both mental and physical between 18 and 19. Things might be different and they might all start coming out because of the safety net the G league provides. Then again, they might not. It is a pretty big risk taken by both sides for a player ranked outside the top 6-7, and a year of post high school play helps a lot for many reasons.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really think they'll use it? It would completely negate any savings made with the Melo dump.

Not even close, getting rid of Melo saved them over $100 mil.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hawks have been trying to trade Schroder for months with no takers. He is a bad contract with multiple years left. Let's not act like Presti made some great move to acquire him. He is no more a trade asset than Melo was.

And I would still take Presti to run my team 365 days a year over yourself.

OKC has needed a second point guard for years (especially now with Russ turning 30), and they got one. Westbrook will no longer have to average triple doubles in order for them to have a chance to win. It's also not crazy to think Schroder could become a better shooter in a better system with more open looks, and he will still get his 25 minutes a night.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they're eventually going to trade Schroeder. He has 3 years left on his contract at 15 mill yearly. No way are they keeping him on their roster for another 3 years to be a 6th man.

This was more about getting rid of Melo but I'll be a little surprised if he is on their roster next summer.

Presti did not acquire a guy with three years left on his deal just so he could eventually trade him. I'm not saying something can't possibly happen next year at this time and is in fact dealt. But, he is absolutely in their on-court plans moving forward.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OKC has needed a second point guard for years (especially now with Russ turning 30), and they got one. Westbrook will no longer have to average triple doubles in order for them to have a chance to win. It's also not crazy to think Schroder could become a better shooter in a better system with more open looks, and he will still get his 25 minutes a night.
Presti is absolutely one of the best in the game, if not the best. If he is not on anyone's top 5 GM's list they do not know what they are talking about. PERIOD.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be different now with the G league,

But I am pretty sure there have never been more than 5 or 6 to make the jump from high school. Most years even less than that.

Because there are a lot of guys like Colin Sexton and Trae Young who weren't good enough coming out of high school, but blew up in college. It is typically the Marvin Bagleys, Porter Jr., and JJJ type prospects who make the jump. And there aren't that many of those.
Sexton was not good enough coming out of high school? LOL....he was the #4 recruit in the country and could have played ANYWHERE.

As I have said in tons of my post- one of the things that checks the box on Sexton as a great pick in my book is that he had that elite prospect pedigree coming out of high school and only expanded upon it in college.

Sexton was ABSOLUTELY good enough coming out of high school. Maybe you just fucked up that one.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Presti is absolutely one of the best in the game, if not the best. If he is not on anyone's top 5 GM's list they do not know what they are talking about. PERIOD.

1) Bob Myers

2) Everyone else.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Bob Myers

2) Everyone else.
yah i dont think so.

This is the same guy that amnestied charlie bell to try and give away the house to DeAndre Jordan.

Do I really give Bob Myers credit for Durant's cowardice and Cousins' injury?

He is good and one of the best but he is not head and shoulders better than the other best GM's.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They've actually needed a PG for a long time. Not even second point guard. Hopefully Schroders shooting ability comes around because if it's not, I'm not sure how ideal the fit will be. Also have to think how effective (or even willing) playing off the basketball a bit. Donovan will have his hands full trying to scheme with this new squad. I think there are certain pieces there that work, but I have a hard time finding how the Thunder are going to space the floor.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've actually needed a PG for a long time. Not even second point guard. Hopefully Schroders shooting ability comes around because if it's not, I'm not sure how ideal the fit will be. Also have to think how effective (or even willing) playing off the basketball a bit. Donovan will have his hands full trying to scheme with this new squad. I think there are certain pieces there that work, but I have a hard time finding how the Thunder are going to space the floor.
They probably wont. They will probably just let George and RW do their things and be absolutely suffocating defensively.

Schroeder is another solid defender they added.

Schroeder, Adams, RW, George, Roberson, Noel.....talk about defense.....and then just let George get his 20 and RW get his 27

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah i dont think so.

This is the same guy that amnestied charlie bell to try and give away the house to DeAndre Jordan.

Do I really give Bob Myers credit for Durant's cowardice and Cousins' injury?

He is good and one of the best but he is not head and shoulders better than the other best GM's.

He was hired in 2011 as an assistant GM under Larry Riley(which was when Bell was amnestied). He wasn't promoted to GM until 2012, where he selected Harrison Barnes, Festus Ezeli and Draymond Green. All 3 of which would be playing the closing minutes in game 7 of the 2016 NBA finals (I don't recall what the result was, I blacked out).

He was able to sign Jarrett Jack and Carl Landry as guys who helped the team mature and build them into a playoff team.

He fired Mark Jackson and hired Steve Kerr. He traded for Iguodala, shipping out Biedrins and Richard Jefferson and picks. He signed Shaun Livingston. Took a flier on guys like Ian Clark and Leandro Barbosa. Brought in Zaza on a vet min contract when other teams wanted him. Same with DWest. Oh and he resurrected the career of Javale McGee by giving him a chance here.

His last 3 picks (Kevon Looney, Patrick McCaw and Jordan Bell) all have played substantial back up roles in the playoffs the last two years. Damian Jones is expected to be in contention for a rotational spot this year, which is why they let Javale, Zaza and DWest walk.

Everything dude touches has turned out A+.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was hired in 2011 as an assistant GM under Larry Riley(which was when Bell was amnestied). He wasn't promoted to GM until 2012, where he selected Harrison Barnes, Festus Ezeli and Draymond Green. All 3 of which would be playing the closing minutes in game 7 of the 2016 NBA finals (I don't recall what the result was, I blacked out).

He was able to sign Jarrett Jack and Carl Landry as guys who helped the team mature and build them into a playoff team.

He fired Mark Jackson and hired Steve Kerr. He traded for Iguodala, shipping out Biedrins and Richard Jefferson and picks. He signed Shaun Livingston. Took a flier on guys like Ian Clark and Leandro Barbosa. Brought in Zaza on a vet min contract when other teams wanted him. Same with DWest. Oh and he resurrected the career of Javale McGee by giving him a chance here.

His last 3 picks (Kevon Looney, Patrick McCaw and Jordan Bell) all have played substantial back up roles in the playoffs the last two years. Damian Jones is expected to be in contention for a rotational spot this year, which is why they let Javale, Zaza and DWest walk.

Everything dude touches has turned out A+.
I am not saying hes bad- obviously i think he is one of the better GM's i nthe league- but he has gotten a TON of luck as well.

inhereited Curry and Klay. TRIED to sign DeAndre Jordan to a max and failed. Neither Looney, McCaw or Bell are anything but back end bench players. I give him credit for drafting Draymond- but its not like he KNEW draymond was going to eb a stud after drafting him AFTER Festuz Ezeli

Top 5? ehh maybe...probably....

head and shoulders the best? laughable.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They probably wont. They will probably just let George and RW do their things and be absolutely suffocating defensively.

Schroeder is another solid defender they added.

Schroeder, Adams, RW, George, Roberson, Noel.....talk about defense.....and then just let George get his 20 and RW get his 27

Can you imagine when the put the lineup out there of RW, Roberson, PG, Noel and Adams. You press up on PG and sag off everyone else, including RW and dare RW to shoot 35 times that game.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you imagine when the put the lineup out there of RW, Roberson, PG, Noel and Adams. You press up on PG and sag off everyone else, including RW and dare RW to shoot 35 times that game.
thats whre you have to hope that George can run some PnR with Adams and loosen things up a little bit.....

Noel and Adams on the floor together might not work that well...-- that will be dependent on the matchup quite a bit.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying hes bad- obviously i think he is one of the better GM's i nthe league- but he has gotten a TON of luck as well.

inhereited Curry and Klay. TRIED to sign DeAndre Jordan to a max and failed. Neither Looney, McCaw or Bell are anything but back end bench players.

Top 5? ehh maybe...probably....

head and shoulders the best? laughable.

Looney was the 30th pick and Bell and McCaw were second round picks that weren't even the Warriors. They bought into those spots specifically for guys they thought who could contribute to their team. Even all 3 of those guys never become anything more than back end guys, they still have served their purposes in producing for the team helping to win them championships. All 3 of those guys got minutes in NBA Finals in crucial games.

LOL at also stricking out with DeAndre Jordan too. They signed him to a contract, if you don't recall. He was an RFA at the time and the Clippers matched.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL. I should hope so.

Presti has made a lot of great moves over the years.

This isn't one. OKC may be marginally better this year, but likely not because of Shroder.

This move strikes me as ok, we are who we are. Let's win 50 games and go home early in the playoffs. Which is probably what they would have been anyway.

Still, if they could have figured it out, Melo's skill set is much closer to what OKC needs than Shroder's. Yes it didn't work last year. Yes they save tens of millions of dollars. But you show me a team making moves to save money over roster maximization, and I will show you a team not doing every thing they can to win.

And Somebody in OKC, either Presti or ownership deserves blame for that. Because it isn't the first time they have gone this route, and last time cost them a potential dynasty.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looney was the 30th pick and Bell and McCaw were second round picks that weren't even the Warriors. They bought into those spots specifically for guys they thought who could contribute to their team. Even all 3 of those guys never become anything more than back end guys, they still have served their purposes in producing for the team helping to win them championships. All 3 of those guys got minutes in NBA Finals in crucial games.

LOL at also stricking out with DeAndre Jordan too. They signed him to a contract, if you don't recall. He was an RFA at the time and the Clippers matched.
yah I remember they used their amnesty on Charlie Bell in order to carve out max room for DeAndre.

McCaw played a TOTAL of 45 MINUTES in the last 2 NBA Finals. lol

Looney did dominate with 18 minutes a game and 4 and 4 a game in the playoffs---- better than Bell's 11 minutes and 2 points ,3 boards per game.

No one in their right mind could possibly say that McCaw, Looney or Bell are "hits".

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sexton was not good enough coming out of high school? LOL....he was the #4 recruit in the country and could have played ANYWHERE.

As I have said in tons of my post- one of the things that checks the box on Sexton as a great pick in my book is that he had that elite prospect pedigree coming out of high school and only expanded upon it in college.

Sexton was ABSOLUTELY good enough coming out of high school. Maybe you just fucked up that one.

I didn't realize Sexton was 4.

Anybody in the top 20 could have played almost anywhere. Doesn't mean they are NBA ready. Point guards in particular benefit a lot from that year in college.

And why you have to be such an asshole about it? I know I don't make mistakes very often like you, but damn.