• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

McCarthy speaks

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarthy recently told reporters he was happy to get away from the D-backs organization and they basically messed with his pitching style by telling him he can't throw cutters anymore (a pitch he told he felt he needed to excel). The moment he got to NY, they told him to throw the cutter again and he's proceeded to pitch one great game and one good one for them.

We all know the D-backs entire organization (minus LaRussa) sucks, but this just confirms it. Pitching Coach Mike Harkey must be fired. He tinkered in all the wrong ways with probably every guy in the rotation to ensure the D-Backs would be out of the race after a month.

They messed with Skaggs. They messed with Bauer. They messed with Ian Kennedy. And now maybe McCarthy too (not sure two starts makes it official just yet).

I'm not going to another game until Kevin Towers and Mike Harkey are fired. Kirk Gibson can go too.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitters were batting .330 against his cutter...not a successful pitch. If he really felt like that pitch would give him confidence to go out and perform, he or the dbacks would have made an adjustment. He should have sat down and talked to the right personnel if this was really the problem. Mccrappy is notorious for blaming others. He has already blamed miggy and the roof for bad outings.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His cutter had little to do with his ineffectiveness. He doesn't have a consistent off-speed out pitch that hitters swing & miss at. Harkey has been here a grand total 5 months & you want to blame him for our pitching woes over the last 3 seasons?

McCrusty has pitched a total of 12 innings & now he is this good pitcher? He pitched just as well in last 2 starts in a Dbacks uniform as he has in his first 2 starts in a Yankees uniform. It has everything to do with him getting hot & nothing to do with a cutter.

Skaggs has been meh this season, just like last season. Bauer finally looks like he can throw more strikes than balls after 3 up & down seasons in the bigs. If it wasn't for a hot July Bauer would be sitting around a 5.00 era like he has for most of the season.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's an organizational problem was more my point. Hoping LaRussa can somehow just run the show ASAP. That would seem to be the only hope.

Harkey I want fired based on the past 5 months (not 3 years). You come in to improve the rotation and the team goes 8-22, the season is over after a month, and it's because every single guy in the rotation suddenly appears to have no clue how to pitch. But Harkey should get a pass?

That's the same mentality that mires the D-Backs in mediocrity or worse. We don't need an extra year or two to see Harkey sucks, just like we didn't to know AJ Hinch sucked.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's an organizational problem was more my point. Hoping LaRussa can somehow just run the show ASAP. That would seem to be the only hope.

Harkey I want fired based on the past 5 months (not 3 years). You come in to improve the rotation and the team goes 8-22, the season is over after a month, and it's because every single guy in the rotation suddenly appears to have no clue how to pitch. But Harkey should get a pass?

That's the same mentality that mires the D-Backs in mediocrity or worse. We don't need an extra year or two to see Harkey sucks, just like we didn't to know AJ Hinch sucked.

Who has actually pitched worse?

-Corbin - Incomplete
-Cahill - Couldn't throw strikes. I am not sure how you can blame the PC for that.
-McCarthy - Pitching the same as last season.
-Miley - Pretty much pitching the same as last season when looking at the numbers.
-Arroyo - Numbers aren't that different from last season based on the short amount of work he did.
-Anderson - I don't know how much credit he should or shouldn't get for his rookie year.
-Bolsinger- AAA arm.
-Delgado - Mediocre SP who has pitched decent in the BP.
-Spruill - Pitched well in his 1 spot start this season.
-Bradley - Incomplete do to injury & hasn't see the majors yet.

I am not sure exactly what you think Harkey has influence over in the 5 months he has been here. Talent & injuries have been the issue with the SP.

Now if you want to criticize our pitching program as whole, I am right there with you. Too many injuries & misses on which talent will or won't pan out. But I won't put that on Duncan or Harkey yet seeing as they just got here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now if you want to criticize our pitching program as whole, I am right there with you. Too many injuries & misses on which talent will or won't pan out. But I won't put that on Duncan or Harkey yet seeing as they just got here.

This is pretty much my point of view. The Dbacks have some major organizational problems when it comes to developing pitchers and keeping them healthy.

Also,Towers assembled a mediocre pitching staff in the offseason. They've performed as expected.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree they've performed as expected. While I don't think anyone expected Cahill or McCarthy to by Cy Young candidates, the level of horrible they've both reached was definitely not expected. If it was, they shouldn't have been allowed to throw a single pitch.

I expected Miley to be better than he has been too.

There are some guys that pitched generally as expected IMO: Arroyo (decent), Bolsinger (sucked).

I think Collmenter, as a starter, has actually been the one guy better than expected. Love the Ferris Wheel.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another 6 magical innings from McCarthy. Three straight good to great starts since leaving.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarthy now with 8 wins. Continues to pitch well in NY. Sample size large enough to make D-Backs look dumb (ERER)

Suns7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah complete game shutout today. With 8 strikeouts...

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least this drives up our guys' trade value... our motto can be "trade with us, we promise they'll turn into an ace for you!"

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Kevin Towers will surely take advantage of that and get us the next Vidal Nuno