• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Mariners host A's (5/22-5/25), Pirates (5/26-5/28), & Yankees (5/29-5/31)

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey let's give away what few prospects we have left because we cheaped out in the summer.

Jerry Dipoto, the Mariners’ president of baseball operations.

“We will go into the trade deadline part of this season looking for a bat, wherever that that might fit,” he said Thursday during the weekly Jerry Dipoto Show on Seattle Sports.
If they go in for a bat I am afraid it will deplete the farm and I don’t see a Soto on the market. For some reason he makes it sound like they are stuck on wanting guys with team control if they are going to make a “big move”. I get it is better to get a team controlled guy but if they aren’t going to get a free agent they are eventually going to have to get rental to improve like they thought they had with Teoscar and Wong. I think it will be a massive fail if this deadline they give up Ford and Young. If they aren’t going to spend they need a future 3B and SS/2B and last deadline they gave up the a potential future infield.

I know they got a boat load of 1st round picks this draft but that doesn’t help this window they talk about before they have to either balloon the payroll or sell off guys. I mean they can but won’t pay 3 Cy Young caliber guys in Castillo, Gilbert and Kirby (assuming Ray is gone) Julio and round out a decent offense with resigning Raleigh and France and whatever happens with Kelenic.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey let's give away what few prospects we have left because we cheaped out in the summer.

“We will go into the trade deadline part of this season looking for a bat, wherever that that might fit,” he said Thursday during the weekly Jerry Dipoto Show on Seattle Sports.

I call that 'stepping over $20 dollar bills to pick up nickels'

Dumbest way ever to try and play 'catch up' when a properly managed roster IN THE OFF SEASON would be ready to produce positive results for the ENTIRE season vs looking for a can of 'insta fix' to patch up a weak line up.

The Moose needs to hop off the top of the dugout and get Dipoto in a sleeper choke hold and then kick Servais squarely in the nuts a few times. So he feels the pain Mariners fans have felt for 45 years

RANT off

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah that's what pisses me off... We try to find a diamond in the rough or shop at Kmart to fill some voids but in turn are having to give up Nordstroms now to get surplus in hopes of making is relevant in the postseason run...

We'd be better off to let this group gain some experience, while keeping our farm in tact and go after some quality FA's in the offseason to make a run in 2024

Lineman16

Yep
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to add, last yr felt a bit like the 2000 M's to me and was fun as hell. What blows my mind is the money they spent for very average production...

Teoscar 14m (Can't hit an off speed pitch)

Wong 8m (Can't hit it out of the infield)

Pollock 7m (Never plays)

30 mil could have landed us 1 or 2 solid bats!

Last edited:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The most infuriating part of this approach is that for any decent player available, he's going to have to give up prospects and pay the money he would've otherwise cost if we had just fucking signed him in the offseason.

I don't have many positive things to say about Jerry, but this is the fault of our ownership. They won't let him spend.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they go in for a bat I am afraid it will deplete the farm and I don’t see a Soto on the market. For some reason he makes it sound like they are stuck on wanting guys with team control if they are going to make a “big move”. I get it is better to get a team controlled guy but if they aren’t going to get a free agent they are eventually going to have to get rental to improve like they thought they had with Teoscar and Wong. I think it will be a massive fail if this deadline they give up Ford and Young. If they aren’t going to spend they need a future 3B and SS/2B and last deadline they gave up the a potential future infield.

I know they got a boat load of 1st round picks this draft but that doesn’t help this window they talk about before they have to either balloon the payroll or sell off guys. I mean they can but won’t pay 3 Cy Young caliber guys in Castillo, Gilbert and Kirby (assuming Ray is gone) Julio and round out a decent offense with resigning Raleigh and France and whatever happens with Kelenic.
The most depressing thing about your post is that you're completely right.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s not like they have needed a LH bat plus a DH/1B for the past month. Not a fan of him coming up for Trammell instead of DFAing Wong cause now you have a massive downgrade in the OF field if one of the 3 need a day off, DH or a defensive replacement.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree

Mariners are on to something ... their chances of actually winning a baseball game goes up exponentially when their elite pitching staff manages to hold the opponent to 0 runs scored.

That is when their pathetic 1 single run scored can actually win a ball game :think:

Would be nice to see Kelenic go yard a time or 2 this road trip. His quality of at bats / swings and misses have really declined over the past 2-3 weeks.
Not that I expected him to stay as hot as he was the month of April, he just appears to have really taken a big step backwards.
Still in a much better spot than anyone could have hoped for on June 1.

Teo's bat needs to resurface really soon or he is reaching benchable status... and I cringe to think Trammel could be a better option offensively.
That is the sad state of affairs the M's pathetic and punchless roster is in. When you have to start substituting below .200 hitters for another barely .200 hitter in hopes of picking the right guy who may or may not deliver 1 single base hit over the course of a 9 inning ball game.

Expect more of the same over the month of June. No reason to expect anything more than a .500 clip win %. That is our identity as a ball club.
That should have us firmly entrenched around 12-18 games behind the division leader at seasons end and around a dozen or more games back in the hunt for the last WC spot.

Even another 14 game win streak this season would only help that win % slightly and we would still not have a sniff of post season.
Yeah..here.is.the.thing..with.trammel.
He. Has..the power..I think.some of the things
With..kelenic..are with trammel..
As well..I see..a similar..way...

It's trying.pitch recognise.and location..
But that is how close.trammel is..
As close.as.kelenic..was last year...

And it all klicks..and boom..breakout..

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to add, last yr felt a bit like the 2000 M's to me and was fun as hell. What blows my mind is the money they spent for very average production...

Teoscar 14m (Can't hit an off speed pitch)

Wong 8m (Can't hit it out of the infield)

Pollock 7m (Never plays)

30 mil could have landed us 1 or 2 solid bats!
major league kiss GIF

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't.blame..the mariners..
Cuz..
Minnesota..want to trade to.the natonal league
That is normal ..
If you want..a..2b..look..there..in the national
League..
As far..as turner..gos..
He said.himself..he wanted..east coast..
The rest..of.the..ss/2b..besides.boston 2b
Really did not want.seattle..either..
So.
It's just not right..yet...and .whhooo.
Do the mariners need it to be .

Sure Wong is place.holder..
But that is just .it..he was a place.holder.
In Milwaukee.as...well...
So.2b..as..much.as.ss.is.a.primium
Position..as we can see..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best.is.a..younger.guy..
Like.garcia...of.washington..but..
Can't blame.washington.or..mariners
For not..
But..Washington..got.a.lot.for.rf..of.sandiego
And gore..
There.is almost..no.doubt.they.would.want.
Hancock..
To.go with gore.
Such.is.the.way..of baseball.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They say..some primium.pitching.is going
To be needed..look to those.national
teams..
For..a..2b.trade

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They.may.have..resistance..
But..a..younger..ss/2b..fits Seattle..
It makes it.hard..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As we see..in the national.
League..
Cardinals..Washington..cubs.rockies..
Are who.to trade with..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Washington .seemingly .
Has the most available .guy..Garcia .

That is more or less the main line .
Of thinking..
Then there are .creative..ways .
Like Rojas..
Diamond backs..but would be a temp..
As well..
And Tampa .minors..sometimes .a go
To .cuz they always want..pitchers.
But..I did not see anything there

Last edited:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s not like they have needed a LH bat plus a DH/1B for the past month. Not a fan of him coming up for Trammell instead of DFAing Wong cause now you have a massive downgrade in the OF field if one of the 3 need a day off, DH or a defensive replacement.
I am guessing they see Haggerty as that guy with Moore coming back any time. If Wong is going to be released (which I doubt), it will be when Moore comes back.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meant Winter. Damn brain.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Washington..trades Garcia..
Who will.be there..2b..
Well..
Darren baker..in in line..at..AAA..
Yes..that darren.baker..of cal.
Son of dusty baker..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And at minor..league..lvl..there are no.
Up and.comming..LeFt.handers..
Except..baker..
But there.is..guilorme..of Mets..
And Garcia..with baker..behind him..