• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lowered Expectations

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm done thinking that this roster is championship material. I know I may be late to this party, but it finally sank in last night. They were supposed to come out firing, but just did not show much. I think they tried, but even when they tried, their talent level limited them. And should it really take players to sound off with team meetings and such to get them to play hard? It should not.

Marleau got his fat contract. Joe is always comfy in whatever situation he finds himself in. Heatley is too one dimensional and is paid even more than Thornton. Goaltending and defense is average on a good day. The guys that do care are frustrated at the guys that don't. The coach doesn't know what else to do or say to get through to his star players. The GM has no bargaining chips and is up against the cap. This, on top of his poor talent assessment skills.

I'm just going to try to enjoy each game one at a time with no expectations of playoff success, or playoffs, for that matter. I just hope Doug doesn't think he has a chance because he's sitting in the middle of the division and mortgages more of the future. Man, I hope I'm just jumping the gun and overreacting.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The sharks are doomed until the big 3 either decide they want to be the best players on the team or one of them get's traded.

Of the 3 marleau is the most tradeable, sadly of the 3 he is the least deserving of being traded. And he's the only one with speed.

But its likely he is the one to get the axe, the team needs a shake up in a huge way, or it will continue to be business as usual

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The culture of this franchise needs to change. I don't know if that has to do with Marleau being Captain all those years, or with Thornton being on the roster, if it has to do with San Jose being a marshmellow of a hockey market to play in or what. Thornton being Captain sure doesn't help. I am okay with a partial rebuild but the Sharks don't draft well in the early rounds so I'm scared of that too.

How can Doug trade any of the big three without taking back the same amount of salary? Is the franchise doomed with the big three? Ottawa says yes.

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The culture and philososphy of the Sharks will not change until Thornton, Marleau, and Heatley are gone. As painful as it will be to watch, the rebuilding needs to take place, as this team is headed absolutely nowhere. The team is stale, the Big 3 don't care about winning a Cup, and changes need to be made by Wilson. If not, then Wilson needs to go. The flawed mindset and lack of commitment to winning here is disgraceful, and I'm embarrassed to be a fan of this lackadaisical team.

Stackem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm done thinking that this roster is championship material. I know I may be late to this party, but it finally sank in last night. They were supposed to come out firing, but just did not show much. I think they tried, but even when they tried, their talent level limited them. And should it really take players to sound off with team meetings and such to get them to play hard? It should not.

Marleau got his fat contract. Joe is always comfy in whatever situation he finds himself in. Heatley is too one dimensional and is paid even more than Thornton. Goaltending and defense is average on a good day. The guys that do care are frustrated at the guys that don't. The coach doesn't know what else to do or say to get through to his star players. The GM has no bargaining chips and is up against the cap. This, on top of his poor talent assessment skills.

I'm just going to try to enjoy each game one at a time with no expectations of playoff success, or playoffs, for that matter. I just hope Doug doesn't think he has a chance because he's sitting in the middle of the division and mortgages more of the future. Man, I hope I'm just jumping the gun and overreacting.

I've had lowered expectations for awhile now, which in and of its self, isn't a big deal for me. The part I can't stand is that the team is made up of underachievers that lack heart and motivation. Going all the way back to the Heatly signing, I think that move was really pivotal, a horrible decision, and told us alot about Doug. Not so much a knock on Heatly himself (at the time that is - he clearly sucks now), just that in terms of team needs and team character, it didn't solve the Sharks most pressing issues which were defense, leadership, passion, and drive to win. Bad move by Doug to get enamoured with offensive stats and high flying potential at the cost of what was truely needed to win.

Now, the sharks team make up is just flat out wrong. Period. On every level. No way any orginization can win consistently (much less a championship) with the current set of players and Jumbo Joe, Paddy, and Heatly has your big ticket players. We have the wrong 7 million dollar guys. The only way to win with lesser talent in the supporting roles is if your top guys can pick a team up, carry them on their shoulders, and make everyone around them better. That in no way describes Joe, Paddy, or Heatly. They are the complete opposite. They make players and teams worse with their 'I'll play when I want to' attitude.

I would rather watch a less talented, scrappy team that is full of heart, fights for everything they get, and has the potential to overachieve and pull off a miracle. Yes please. I'll take that and a shot of Jameson's..

At least I can have the whiskey part...

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
assets-images-gawker-2008-07-lowered-expectations.jpg

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:D That's (SNL skit) exactly what I had in mind when I made the thread. I feel like the hockey fan that doesn't deserve to root for a winning team because I've been stupid enough to think this team had what it takes.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awwww you beat me to it! Damn me for actually having to do work this morning.

I'm at work too, I was on my lunch.

:D That's (SNL skit) exactly what I had in mind when I made the thread. I feel like the hockey fan that doesn't deserve to root for a winning team because I've been stupid enough to think this team had what it takes.

If anyone knows how to photoshop we could put Jumbo and Heatley's faces over the two people in the pictures.

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude, come on, that's MadTV.

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had lowered expectations for awhile now, which in and of its self, isn't a big deal for me. The part I can't stand is that the team is made up of underachievers that lack heart and motivation. Going all the way back to the Heatly signing, I think that move was really pivotal, a horrible decision, and told us alot about Doug. Not so much a knock on Heatly himself (at the time that is - he clearly sucks now), just that in terms of team needs and team character, it didn't solve the Sharks most pressing issues which were defense, leadership, passion, and drive to win. Bad move by Doug to get enamoured with offensive stats and high flying potential at the cost of what was truely needed to win.

Now, the sharks team make up is just flat out wrong. Period. On every level. No way any orginization can win consistently (much less a championship) with the current set of players and Jumbo Joe, Paddy, and Heatly has your big ticket players. We have the wrong 7 million dollar guys. The only way to win with lesser talent in the supporting roles is if your top guys can pick a team up, carry them on their shoulders, and make everyone around them better. That in no way describes Joe, Paddy, or Heatly. They are the complete opposite. They make players and teams worse with their 'I'll play when I want to' attitude.

I would rather watch a less talented, scrappy team that is full of heart, fights for everything they get, and has the potential to overachieve and pull off a miracle. Yes please. I'll take that and a shot of Jameson's..

At least I can have the whiskey part...

Your post hit the problem dead on. I would rather watch the Sharks' teams under Constantine or Sutter rather than this collective unmotivated group that just doesn't get it.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Your post hit the problem dead on. I would rather watch the Sharks' teams under Constantine or Sutter rather than this collective unmotivated group that just doesn't get it.

Sad but true, but watching, Reech, Scott Thornton, Sunny, and later Cheech work the cycle down low and grind out goals and fight for goals in front of the net is better then watching this current crap.

Though that being said, when the Tadd first got here that team was fun to watch too