• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lester signs with Chicago Cubs

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Red Sox refused to pony up $160MM and John Lester decided that the $155MM the Chicago Cubs offered was the best he could get. No surprise that the Dodgers backed out and that the Giant were told they were out. Tax base in Illinois is approx. 3.5%. It's about 15% in San Francisco and 6% in Massachusetts.

Already the idiots are proclaiming the Red Sox as bumbling or bungling. I disagree. I think it was a smart move not to pay that much money for a non-HOF pitcher. Lester has only been on the Cy Young ballot twice in his career and has never finished in the top three. Giving a 31 year old pitcher $26M a year is a risk even for a 25-28 year old. We've seen repeatedly that pitcher start to break down fast after 30. Look a bit south to Philadelphia. Remember the shit storm before the Phillies sign Cliff Lee? Remember how upset the media and fans were that the Red Sox walked away? Still angry today? How many 20 game win seasons has Lee had? How many 17, 15?

Time to move on.........

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Red Sox refused to pony up $160MM and John Lester decided that the $155MM the Chicago Cubs offered was the best he could get. No surprise that the Dodgers backed out and that the Giant were told they were out. Tax base in Illinois is approx. 3.5%. It's about 15% in San Francisco and 6% in Massachusetts.

Already the idiots are proclaiming the Red Sox as bumbling or bungling. I disagree. I think it was a smart move not to pay that much money for a non-HOF pitcher. Lester has only been on the Cy Young ballot twice in his career and has never finished in the top three. Giving a 31 year old pitcher $26M a year is a risk even for a 25-28 year old. We've seen repeatedly that pitcher start to break down fast after 30. Look a bit south to Philadelphia. Remember the shit storm before the Phillies sign Cliff Lee? Remember how upset the media and fans were that the Red Sox walked away? Still angry today? How many 20 game win seasons has Lee had? How many 17, 15?

Time to move on.........

You're really citing win totals, a team dependent stat? In 2014, nonetheless? Holy christ.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Red Sox were smart NOT to pay $160 million for Lester as he is not worth it. However, they could and should have gotten him for $110-115 last year and they totally F'd that up. Which leads me to believe they really didn't want Lester back and were just blowing smoke up all our are arses!

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$110-$115M would not have gotten Lester to sign last April. He was looking for a 6 year $120M contract. The sixth year could have been a buy out option possibly for the Red Sox.

If look very closely at the three starters the Red Sox signed after Lester, they're all ground ball pitchers. The Red Sox strongly believe that their infield will be much better in 2015 and the new staff is exactly what they want.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$110-$115M would not have gotten Lester to sign last April. He was looking for a 6 year $120M contract. The sixth year could have been a buy out option possibly for the Red Sox.

If look very closely at the three starters the Red Sox signed after Lester, they're all ground ball pitchers. The Red Sox strongly believe that their infield will be much better in 2015 and the new staff is exactly what they want.

every starter has a 50% or high ground ball to fly ball ratio. I think it would have gotten it done without having to go to $120.