• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Late 3rd period lead disappears again

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shades of a few years ago. Another 2 goal third period lead disappears again. This time Panthers score 2 goals in a couple of minutes with under 10 minutes to go in the game.

And once again the Hawks have difficulty scoring a third goal in the game.

And once again the Hawks fail to score in the third period. Hawks have only scored in the third period in the first game of the season. Extremely poor.

Duncan Keith the goat of this game. Easy clearing pass turnover right to the Panthers for the tying goal.

Hawks win in a shootout 3-2 and get the two points.

Kane misses on a breakaway in the OT.

Crawford stops Jonathon Huberdeau on a penalty shot in the second period.

The way the Hawks are playing reminds me of how they played prior to their 9 game losing streak two years ago. Squeeking out wins. Can't put teams away. Coughing up leads in the third period. Still winning.

And then the bottom fell out. Nine losses in a row.

Despite the really good record, the Hawks need to get their act together. Bad habits forming each and every night. Q can't be pleased.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know about that play, Pirri gets tripped by campbell, lays on the ice expecting the penalty call, gets up, gets his stick in the way, Keiths pass was deflected to the stick for the shot. The problem is these constant passes to the middle of the ice in the defensive zone is coming from every defender on the ice.

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks more like 11' rather than 12' but they're still getting the points in the standings. The PK isn't horrid and they've only given up 4 since the first game. The pp has life. They through a pt. away against STL but STL is a good team. It's not like 2011 when they gave up 2 goals in 2 minutes to lose in reg against a non-playoff team a few years ago.

They'll tighten up and the offense will improve a bit. Unlike 11' or 12', they actually have some good depth to call on. As long as they keep scoring first, I think they'll figure out how to close out games again. In 12' it seemed like they were coming from behind quite a bit and they only scored first 36 times. We'll see, but I think things are going okay.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not complaining about the record. Just maddening when you have that two goal cushion in the latter stages of a game. Everyone knows that the other team will be pressing trying to get even. Hawks just need to get that all important third goal.

Not worried yet about the scoring "drought". Too many weapons on this team to not light it up once everyone gets going.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks just lose aggressiveness when we lead in the 3rd. Hope this gets ironed out before the 2nd half of the season when winning in regulation will start to matter.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks just lose aggressiveness when we lead in the 3rd. Hope this gets ironed out before the 2nd half of the season when winning in regulation will start to matter.

I don't know. Hawks still seem to be getting a lot of scoring chances and shots on goal even in the third period. They just don't seem to be able to put the puck in the net. Perplexing, to say the least.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. Hawks still seem to be getting a lot of scoring chances and shots on goal even in the third period. They just don't seem to be able to put the puck in the net. Perplexing, to say the least.

Yeah I really don't get it.

We seem to be content with losing puck possession in the 3rd. More pressure put on the defense and Crawford, and before you know it, a 2 goal lead has vanished.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I might add, I like Toews leading off the shootouts.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont know if its losing aggressiveness or if its conditioning. Top lines are playing big minutes early. Hawks are best running 4 lines at teams, sure seems like its more of a 3 line rotation now.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another third period lead that disappears. Hawks score five...give up six. Ugh!

Three points out of four on the road. Khabibulin awful in net.

Meanwhile Carter Hutton the main guy in Nashville with Rinne out. Hutton gives up one goal and wins. I don't know what to say.

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take Khabibulin over Hutton 11 days out of 10. I don't like Khabibulin either, but it's a good thing the Hawks signed him because backups are going to be pricey with all the injuries mounting up so quickly. Hutton wasn't really an option anyway, if they had kept him, I doubt Raanta would have signed.

Forget my marginal confidence in the PK area. They're too passive, just sitting back asking for trouble and there is no threat of a counter right now.

Last night was painful on the eyes. At least they netted a point.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the replays, Khabibulin can't be blamed for three of the six goals.

Two of the goals were deflections off Blackhawk sticks which redirected the puck into the net. Both of those were off of Oduya. One goal was actually goalie interference and should have been disallowed.

Oduya had an awful night, along with Roszival. Aside from the two goals off of Oduya's stick, he let Stamkos walk right around him for a wrist shot goal.

Doug, you're right. Last night was very painful on the eyes.

But, in retrospect the Hawks were lucky to get the one point as Toews mystery goal late in the third period was a gift, complete with gift wrapping and a candle. I'm not sure I've seen one like that in a very, very long time. Maybe the Hawks vs Preds in 2010 where Rinne came out to play the puck and Kane's shot had some weird spin on the puck and it wound up in the net with Rinne nowhere in sight.

Hopefully, the Hawks bounce back against the Wild. Time to start playing some Central Division teams already and put some distance between them and the pack.

And here's a question...how many days has it been since the Blues played a game? Geez, six days in a row off? And the Avs have 3 games in 11 days? Weird scheduling.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Oduya redirects were right in front of him you can take the blame away, but they were pretty far away from him, plenty of time to adjust to the puck. Hawks were only credited with 7 blocked shots all nite. Maybe the moms trip is to blame if guys were worried about giving moms grandkids and keeping their teeth.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw redirects all night on all sorts of different games. Pucks traveling at 90-100 mph that are redirected half way to the goalie still doesn't give the goalie a chance to move in a split second.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeremy Morin had a real strong game last nite. Got pucks to the net, got in scrums for the puck, was on the bottom of the pile jabbing at the puck on the shaw high stick goal. Too many powerplays given away and another bad defensive night for Rozsival. He looks slow and behind out there. Crow only stops 20/25. Seabrook still clearing pucks right up the center of the ice for more takeaways.

Kinda surprised with Mills being up, I am hoping we get to see McNeil sometime, he looked strong at a point of the power play in the preseason. This rosie brookbanks deal just blows. If we cant get Olsen up here, maybe Clendening if Q wants that righty. Only 7 blocks again, seems sticks are not active or on the ice as much other than Oduya deflecting goals.

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take Khabibulin over Hutton 11 days out of 10. I don't like Khabibulin either, but it's a good thing the Hawks signed him because backups are going to be pricey with all the injuries mounting up so quickly. Hutton wasn't really an option anyway, if they had kept him, I doubt Raanta would have signed.

Forget my marginal confidence in the PK area. They're too passive, just sitting back asking for trouble and there is no threat of a counter right now.

Last night was painful on the eyes. At least they netted a point.

as much as I don't really want to disagree with most I think hutton will completely outplay habby and because rinne is out for a month will see how good he is

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was surprised about Mills too. Very happy with Morin, hope they keep him there.

I don't mind switching Brookbank and Roszival...as long as Roszival gets off of Bryz' spacecraft. He's looked like junk out there most of this year compared to last. Overall, I like the blueline group.

Nice to see them close out an opponent last night.