• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Last Game Talk

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the injuries mount to Keith, Seabrook, Oduya and Hjamarlsson in the Olympics (see the above post from anotheridiot), there will be plenty of room for Clendening and other AHL'ers.

After Kane and Toews and Sharp and Hossa get creamed in the Olympics, or even before then, it's a good bet that Pirri and Morin will be running the show and getting the Hawks to the promised land.

What a joke you are. After all, the AHL'ers need lots of experience with the Hawks, because when the sky is falling, they'll need to take over the Hawks and I'm sure they will have the same success as the guys that they'll be replacing, who just happen to have won one or two Cups and have the best record in the NHL for what...like almost a full year now?

When the time is right for the AHL'ers to contribute at a high level on a consistent basis, then their time will come. The Hawks haven't been shy about promoting within. It's not like they are spending money on frivolous free agents. And the few trades they have made, for the most part, have been pretty productive.

Exactly how many games have the Hawks won since Johnny Oduya joined the team? And Kris Versteeg is still a better winger than anyone playing in Rockford. Pirri could have had Handzus' job as second line center if he was good enough, but he's not.

So, let's see the Hawks picked up Hossa as a free agent. Handzus too, as a stop gap. Got Oduya in a trade. Versteeg too. Leddy also, but they gave up Cam Barker who was a total bust. Got Sharp a zillion years ago in a trade for two nothings and a bag of pucks. Pretty sure that worked out well.

Toews, Kane, Saad, Shaw, Bollig, Kruger, Smith, Crawford, Raanta, Keith, Seabrook, Hjamarlsson all are "home grown" Hawks. That's 2/3 of the roster.

I would think that's a pretty high percentage.

So, what's the over/under on Blackhawks getting injured in the Olympics? Wanna set the number, and I'll let you know whether I'll take the over or under.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Clendening be able to jump past Rozsival, Kostka or Brookbank? How about Leddy?

Guess we'll see next year in camp as the Hawks have 8 dmen already active.

Once again, with the best record in the NHL, I don't think the Hawks have to rush anyone to play at the NHL level. If they earn a spot, that's great.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Clendening be able to jump past Rozsival, Kostka or Brookbank? How about Leddy?

Guess we'll see next year in camp as the Hawks have 8 dmen already active.

Once again, with the best record in the NHL, I don't think the Hawks have to rush anyone to play at the NHL level. If they earn a spot, that's great.

Yes, if not for their contract situations. Clendening was better than Brookbank & Leddy when they played together with the IceHogs, so I certainly think Clendening could jump passed those 2.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I want to toss my hat into this clubbing?

You both (g & ai) make some nice points. But there's only one way to give the AHL guys a shot at playing in the NHL and that's to call them up and let them play.

I agree that Saad and Raanta looked good right away. But some guys need seasoning. Leddy needed it. I loved to rip on Bollig's lack of skills last season, but he has made noticeable improvement this season.

Plus let's not forget that some guys are forced into roles that maybe they don't excel in. Penalty killers and 4th liners have a specific role and may be asked to play in a way that was much different from junior hockey or where ever they used to be stars.

Look at Byfuglien. Drafted as a D-man. He was mediocre to average at best. Then they moved him to wing and his value changed.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I want to toss my hat into this clubbing?

You both (g & ai) make some nice points. But there's only one way to give the AHL guys a shot at playing in the NHL and that's to call them up and let them play.

I agree that Saad and Raanta looked good right away. But some guys need seasoning. Leddy needed it. I loved to rip on Bollig's lack of skills last season, but he has made noticeable improvement this season.

Plus let's not forget that some guys are forced into roles that maybe they don't excel in. Penalty killers and 4th liners have a specific role and may be asked to play in a way that was much different from junior hockey or where ever they used to be stars.

Look at Byfuglien. Drafted as a D-man. He was mediocre to average at best. Then they moved him to wing and his value changed.

I agree with you there. I don't think it's fair to say Adam Clendening isn't ready for the NHL because we have yet to see him play in the NHL. He's exceeded all expectations of a prospective dman at the AHL level tho, so why not give him a chance? Keep in mind he was better than Brookbank & Leddy when they played on the same team.

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How's about sticking to the facts instead of making stuff up everytime you get butt-hurt Gmails.
A: no one has ever said that the winning they are doing now is a problem
B: Q prefers a less talented veteran over a highly talented youngster on a night to night basis.
I say Q because in the case of pirri the hawks management raved and raved about him all last season, in the off-season and even the pre season. But when it came time for Q to make a call he ran straight back to the veteran. And despite your opinion, the only thing Zeus does better than pirri is face-offs. As to the youngsters that have made it, Saad is just that good that Q didnt have a choice.Shaw filled a niche at just the right time or he would have never saw the light of day. It is not to downgrade what he does, he is a willing and able 3rd line pest and does it well but it is all he will ever be.Nothing wrong with it either. You say smith was missing almost a full year and that is why he was not up sooner yet he managed to play 51 games the next year after the first cup so clearly this is not the case. AI never said 10 or 11 players were going to get hurt but yer little feelings were hurt so you went the drama queen route to try an make a point. So when you are going to make ridiculous arguments because you feel like you are the only one with knowledge of the game of hockey try checking your hurt pride at the door. Oh and btw when making your final and last ditch attempt to show your superior self assured champion knowledge base, do try to stay with the only sport you may get some credit for lol. Going to any other chicago sport as if you are somehow the final word in any other sport is just plain laughable

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last game talk, Hawks started great, Kane still on fire, first period all hawks.

Second and third Vancooooover went back to their ways, beating the shit out of the hawks, no more goals. End up out hit 32-19, with Bickell leading the charge with 6, our role player tough guy Bollig with a monstrous one hit. I liked his shot from about 90 feet from the middle of the ice. Float it deep, get to the boards and hammer somebody. Fill your role. Knock the puck loose with the fresh players jumping on the ice. Christ, the Cannucks were pounding guys into the boards far after they got rid of the puck. Taking liberties because nobody is gonna go after them.
Long shootout, Raanta had a great game, he even got over on that second goal where sedin had an open net and it still glanced off his upper arm before deflecting up and into the top of the net. He was a **** hair away from covering that open side and stopping that wide open net. They blew the whistle earlier on a loose puck in the blue paint but that was after a Cannuck knocked his helmet off with their stick, no retribution for that either.
Simpson was back in rockford, new bench warmer was up.

As far as the rest of the talk, I expect Clendening to make it to the second line next year. I think I counted three hammer backhands that didnt clear the zone and ended up turnovers, where the righty stick had a harder shot down the boards to get it past the pinching d men. Three sets of LR should happen, but we just hold our breath for Adam to see if they end up trading for a betteran instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow, what a game, Raanta sleepwalks thru 12 shots on goal, his save percentage was pretty bad giving up two. New Jersey shows you what losing two or three key players will do to an organization.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all you Blackhawk fans!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to Patrick Sharp, what a game to have on his birthday. Player of the night for sure.

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, the amount of top notch players going down is staggering. it has always been a season long battle of trying to stay healthy and im just wondering when our turn is going to be.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another blown shootout loss. Great game up to that point, that ice must start to melt when Sharpies skates hit it.

It really looks like Raanta is a guy that needs to see action. He really made some exceptional saves even though, but his shootout percentage is pretty bad.

It was some playoff game atmosphere, its gonna be tough getting thru two division teams before playing for the west the way they are playing.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt get out of work til after 8. Put the game on to hear Troy Murray actually suggesting that Raanta needs to play, and the hawks wont do that if he is up here. He is suggesting they send him back to rockford and leave LaBarbera up here. I think that is insane.

You signed Cory to a 6 year deal. You signed Raanta to a 1.4 million dollar deal. Isnt the plan to have Raanta back up Cory. Hasnt Raanta shown he can play in this league with what a 9-2-2 record. You dont have to play Crow 5 games in a row and just use Raanta in back to backs. You can seriously play Crow 2-1 over Raanta, but no need to sit him for 5-6 games in a row anymore.

Anyone else heard rumblings about sending Raanta back down when Crow return? I think its insane.

I really could not believe what I was hearing. He is on for less than Khabi with the cap hit anyway isnt he? Khabi is not even skating, dont even think he is with the team.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt get out of work til after 8. Put the game on to hear Troy Murray actually suggesting that Raanta needs to play, and the hawks wont do that if he is up here. He is suggesting they send him back to rockford and leave LaBarbera up here. I think that is insane.

You signed Cory to a 6 year deal. You signed Raanta to a 1.4 million dollar deal. Isnt the plan to have Raanta back up Cory. Hasnt Raanta shown he can play in this league with what a 9-2-2 record. You dont have to play Crow 5 games in a row and just use Raanta in back to backs. You can seriously play Crow 2-1 over Raanta, but no need to sit him for 5-6 games in a row anymore.

Anyone else heard rumblings about sending Raanta back down when Crow return? I think its insane.

I really could not believe what I was hearing. He is on for less than Khabi with the cap hit anyway isnt he? Khabi is not even skating, dont even think he is with the team.

Raanta is 10-1-3 with a 2.21 GAA and a .913 save percentage.

Troy Murray doesn't have a clue, and that was really a stupid statement on his part. Interview with Joel last night postgame indicated that Raanta will be here to stay when Crawford is healthy. I agree that a 2-1 ratio Crawford:Raanta would be terrific. Really don't think you lose anything with Raanta in net and Crow gets the rest he deserves and needs. Raanta was signed to be Crawford's backup and although rushed to the NHL, he's performed at a mostly high level (two games were pretty distasteful, including the Blues game the other night...although Keith's skate deflected in the game tying goal). Raanta seems to be pretty good at a 2 goals against clip.

LaBarbera will be back in Rockford probably tomorrow. Crawford is ready to go. He's taking full practice for three days now (through tomorrow) and seeing Hawks shots in "intense" practice routines, according to Crawford.

Raanta's salary is a bargain, and with The Bhoulin Seive on long term IR, Habby's salary doesn't count against the cap. This will be the longest groin injury in all of sports history without it being a complete tear. Watch...he'll be out the entire year, which is only a blessing. Q stated that there is no progress on Habby and he hasn't even started workouts. Ridiculously strange turn of events here. I can just imagine the meeting between him and StanB..."don't bother getting healthy 'cause you're done". If he comes off LTIR, his salary counts against the cap again and the Hawks are over. So, you do the math and figure out the consequences. I'm saying he never returns to the Hawks again.

Raanta is being paid $925,000...a bargain. He is an unrestricted free agent after the season, so another great showing during the year and we are in the same boat as the Antti Niemi fiasco following the 2010 Cup win. Someone will want him and overpay...the Hawks will be stingy and not want to go over $2.5 million and will wind up losing him. But with the cap increase next season, maybe they can lock him up to an extension before the season winds down. With what we've seen so far, it would be prudent for the Hawks to do so.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Doobster would like to wish a happy New Years to all the Blackhawk fans...

ScreenShot2013-12-31at52623PM_zps6a5e981f.png

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Doobster would like to wish a happy New Years to all the Blackhawk fans...

ScreenShot2013-12-31at52623PM_zps6a5e981f.png

See you in the Stanley Cup Final!

Happy New Year to you and all Blackhawks fans out there.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See you in the Stanley Cup Final!

Happy New Year to you and all Blackhawks fans out there.

Thank you sir, and same to you and all the Blackhawk faithful,

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aop6YF1Xqqg]Auld Lang Syne (The New Year's Anthem, Fireworks Version) - YouTube[/ame]

Happy New Years!
:suds:

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raanta is 10-1-3 with a 2.21 GAA and a .913 save percentage.

Troy Murray doesn't have a clue, and that was really a stupid statement on his part. Interview with Joel last night postgame indicated that Raanta will be here to stay when Crawford is healthy. I agree that a 2-1 ratio Crawford:Raanta would be terrific. Really don't think you lose anything with Raanta in net and Crow gets the rest he deserves and needs. Raanta was signed to be Crawford's backup and although rushed to the NHL, he's performed at a mostly high level (two games were pretty distasteful, including the Blues game the other night...although Keith's skate deflected in the game tying goal). Raanta seems to be pretty good at a 2 goals against clip.

LaBarbera will be back in Rockford probably tomorrow. Crawford is ready to go. He's taking full practice for three days now (through tomorrow) and seeing Hawks shots in "intense" practice routines, according to Crawford.

Raanta's salary is a bargain, and with The Bhoulin Seive on long term IR, Habby's salary doesn't count against the cap. This will be the longest groin injury in all of sports history without it being a complete tear. Watch...he'll be out the entire year, which is only a blessing. Q stated that there is no progress on Habby and he hasn't even started workouts. Ridiculously strange turn of events here. I can just imagine the meeting between him and StanB..."don't bother getting healthy 'cause you're done". If he comes off LTIR, his salary counts against the cap again and the Hawks are over. So, you do the math and figure out the consequences. I'm saying he never returns to the Hawks again.

Raanta is being paid $925,000...a bargain. He is an unrestricted free agent after the season, so another great showing during the year and we are in the same boat as the Antti Niemi fiasco following the 2010 Cup win. Someone will want him and overpay...the Hawks will be stingy and not want to go over $2.5 million and will wind up losing him. But with the cap increase next season, maybe they can lock him up to an extension before the season winds down. With what we've seen so far, it would be prudent for the Hawks to do so.

I didnt mean to count Khabis contract, just the fact that it was "budgeted" in the salary cap already.

I would still rather have Raanta finishing off practices with these Hawk players going shootout on him even if he sits more.

Cap geek shows him as an RFA,

ANTTI RAANTA'S QUALIFYING OFFER IS FOR $874,125.

Because his base salary of $832,500 — total salary of $925,000 minus signing bonus of $92,500 — is greater than $660,000 and less than $1,000,000, it is increased by 5 percent for the purposes of his qualifying offer.
NOTE: It must be a one-way qualifying offer if a) the player appeared in 180 or more NHL games in three previous seasons; b) the player appeared in 60 or more NHL games the previous season; and c) the player did not clear waivers during the previous season. Backup goaltender appearances count as games.
CBA REFERENCE: Section 10.2 a (P. 30-31)
DISCLAIMER: Incomplete signing bonus data may lead to inaccurate results via this calculator.

Its confusing, but maybe they limit games because of this, but he isnt gonna find 60 anyway. Maybe Murray was considering hiding him at Rockford, but I dont think thats possible anymore, you ride him hard and put him away wet, just like Q likes.