• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers vs Spurs series thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we REALLY have to quote all the Lakers fans that thought you'd beat the Spurs, and then beat Denver to make the Western Conference Finals?

C'mon you have got to be smarter than this. Most Laker fans said that if they were healthy they could possibly beat the Spurs. You can say what you want, but if the choice was the Thunder or the Spurs, if you're the Lakers you want the Spurs because they are going to play closer to your pace.

If the Lakers had gone into the playoffs reasonably healthy, they had a decent shot vs. the Spurs. Since they ended up with Dwight, Pau and a summer league roster, we got what we got, which was swept.

If Kobe, Nash, Blake, MWP and Meeks are able to play, do you honestly think that the likes of Morris, Duhon and Goudelock would even see the floor?

And why is a Mavs fan on here talking about the Lakers anyway? In spite of all of the injuries and the coaching change, the Lakers showed some heart, went 20-8 over their last 28 games and actually made the playoffs, when everyone was saying they wouldn't.

How long before the end of the season did the Mavs have their bags packed for vacation? Did any of them even shower before they headed to the airport?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nash stole 9 mill from the lakers this year. What a waste

Yeah, I'm sure he knew going in that he was going to be injured and unable to play!!

You just slipped below turnip and fell into simple jack territory!!

All you need now is a couple of "kobina the rayper" posts and an" lol at u faker fans" or two!!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never understood folks that seemingly follow sports more to be anti-something than to support something. A lot of "fans" of other teams seem to derive more pleasure, certainly spend more time/energy, talking about the Lakers than their own avowed team.

Maybe it has something to do with how often we win.

That's what I've always gotten a kick out of. People supposedly have teams that they follow, but spend most of their time talking about the Lakers on Laker threads.

Oh well, I guess that's what happens when your team has more titles than some have playoff appearances.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon you have got to be smarter than this. Most Laker fans said that if they were healthy they could possibly beat the Spurs. You can say what you want, but if the choice was the Thunder or the Spurs, if you're the Lakers you want the Spurs because they are going to play closer to your pace.

If the Lakers had gone into the playoffs reasonably healthy, they had a decent shot vs. the Spurs. Since they ended up with Dwight, Pau and a summer league roster, we got what we got, which was swept.

If Kobe, Nash, Blake, MWP and Meeks are able to play, do you honestly think that the likes of Morris, Duhon and Goudelock would even see the floor?

And why is a Mavs fan on here talking about the Lakers anyway? In spite of all of the injuries and the coaching change, the Lakers showed some heart, went 20-8 over their last 28 games and actually made the playoffs, when everyone was saying they wouldn't.

How long before the end of the season did the Mavs have their bags packed for vacation? Did any of them even shower before they headed to the airport?

LOL, unlike the Lakers, the Mavs have first round picks the next two years, AND CAP SPACE.

So I'm fine with them not making the playoffs, they'll be fine.

Silly me, I thought this was the NBA general message board. I had no idea fanship of the Lakers was a requirement to discuss their ability to play basketball.

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I've always gotten a kick out of. People supposedly have teams that they follow, but spend most of their time talking about the Lakers on Laker threads.

Oh well, I guess that's what happens when your team has more titles than some have playoff appearances.

Yeah, just look at the Howard to Houston thread. Clowns can't figure out if they hate him on the Lakers or how much better he's going to make some other team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, just look at the Howard to Houston thread. Clowns.

it isn't out of the realm of possibility that D12 does step, but he'd be an idiot to do it...

as far as the "doing the RIGHT thing(i LOL'd)" thread all that is is a bunch of hater talk hoping to keep L.A. down. i have no worries the Lakers will be contenders sooner than ANY of these clowns think...

but let 'em be hopeful, i say...

CL67

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, unlike the Lakers, the Mavs have first round picks the next two years, AND CAP SPACE.

So I'm fine with them not making the playoffs, they'll be fine.

Silly me, I thought this was the NBA general message board. I had no idea fanship of the Lakers was a requirement to discuss their ability to play basketball.

The Lakers will have cap space in 2015 and will either re-build around Dwight or re-build without him.

They also have a $3 billion (that's right, with a B) deal with Time-Warner that will allow them to take a bigger cap hit than anyone else if they feel they need to.

Having cap space didn't work out so well for the Mavs this last round did it?

As for talking about the Lakers ability to play basketball, nothing wrong with that. I was just curious as to why a Mavs fans seems to be so much more interested in what the Lakers can and cannot do and is trying to present himself as some kind of Lakers expert.

Anyhow, enjoying the discussion, hope you are too. Calling it a night!! Hope to see you later on and maybe continue the discussion!!

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Horns and BK were smarter than this. Well, bk has said a lot of stupid things in the past, but you guys know damn well when people said the Lakers had a chance, we were talking about when they were healthy. Lets not play dumb here.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone posted about it being a hollow victory.
I do kind of feel that way.
Honestly, the years the Spurs beat the Lakers when they had Shaq and Kobe were much more satisfying than this year was.
Would have much preferred to have swept a healthy with Kobe Lakers' team,

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting read. Apparently the media thinks the same way I do about this team:

Daily Dime - ESPN

Uh, no they don't. If anything, they said what Laker fans have been saying all along. This team stays together and you let the cap space clear after next season and then re-build. Whether it's around Dwight or not.

If Dwight signs with the Lakers you re-build around him. If he doesn't, then you bring in others in 2015.

It's exactly what Laker fans have been saying all along. You're not the Lakers expert that you think you are.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone posted about it being a hollow victory.
I do kind of feel that way.
Honestly, the years the Spurs beat the Lakers when they had Shaq and Kobe were much more satisfying than this year was.
Would have much preferred to have swept a healthy with Kobe Lakers' team,

A win is a win and you play the team put in front of you. While it would obviously be more meaningful for the Spurs if Kobe, Nash, MWP, etc. were available, it gets the Spurs some needed rest for the next round. More time for Parker and Ginobili to get to full strength.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, no they don't. If anything, they said what Laker fans have been saying all along. This team stays together and you let the cap space clear after next season and then re-build. Whether it's around Dwight or not.

If Dwight signs with the Lakers you re-build around him. If he doesn't, then you bring in others in 2015.

It's exactly what Laker fans have been saying all along. You're not the Lakers expert that you think you are.

Never claimed to be a Laker expert. But you are the only fan I've seen in this thread that doesn't seem to care whether or not you sign Howard.

And YES, Adande is saying everything I have in this article.

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adande is saying everything I have in this article.

I've been trying to find somewhere that you've said the Lakers should keep Pau Gasol's expiring contract. Maybe you can point me in that direction?

Gasol deserves to play out his final season in a Lakers uniform without hearing his name in trade discussions. Especially because the only teams that would seek him and his expiring contract would want to unload long-term contracts themselves. The Lakers would be better served by preserving flexibility and allowing his $19 million to come off their payroll in 2014, and then making the moves to truly reshape their roster.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never claimed to be a Laker expert. But you are the only fan I've seen in this thread that doesn't seem to care whether or not you sign Howard.

And YES, Adande is saying everything I have in this article.

I, like most Laker fans, would like to see Dwight sign with them. However, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter if he does or not as far as the Lakers being contenders again.

Bottom line, if Dwight signs with the Lakers, we will have basically the same roster as this season. Assuming they have better luck with their health (how could they not? LOL!!) then they are still looking at making the WCF at best, imo!!

2015 is the target. That's when they have huge contracts expiring and when they are likely to use the amnesty as well. In 2015 they will have plenty of opportunity to re-build quickly.

The potential "turd in the punch bowl" is Short Buss (Jim). If he doesn't do things like his father and wants to "make his own mark" then the Lakers could be in trouble because he really hasn't impressed anyone with his basketball or business acumen.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The three top players in the 2015 FA class is Rondo and Green of the Celts, and Love. Its actually list of old players.

The 2016 class has the Miami big three.

Unlike past Laker rebuilds, where they used draft picks to rebuild, they dont have that luxury this time, those picks aint there.

It really comes down to how to add to the $40M salary that Dwight and Kobe eat up, what can they get to compliment them for a run in 15 or 16.

There just is not players in the FA market. After watching Howard this year I now would not sign him to a long term deal. I would dump Kobe, trade off Gasol for picks, and expiring contracts of the same amount, and tank for a few years so those picks are worth something. Current plan is to be mediocre, and in the new CBA agreement, thats the kiss of death

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I, like most Laker fans, would like to see Dwight sign with them. However, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter if he does or not as far as the Lakers being contenders again.

Bottom line, if Dwight signs with the Lakers, we will have basically the same roster as this season. Assuming they have better luck with their health (how could they not? LOL!!) then they are still looking at making the WCF at best, imo!!

2015 is the target. That's when they have huge contracts expiring and when they are likely to use the amnesty as well. In 2015 they will have plenty of opportunity to re-build quickly.

The potential "turd in the punch bowl" is Short Buss (Jim). If he doesn't do things like his father and wants to "make his own mark" then the Lakers could be in trouble because he really hasn't impressed anyone with his basketball or business acumen.

Homerism at its finest.

Health won't help you beat the top tier WC teams......they outran you nightly on fast breaks, and you couldn't get defensive stops in the halfcourt. Why? Because old slow players don't run, health or not......they also don't have the footspeed to stay in front of opposing guards.......man a LOT of PGs lit the Lakers up ALL SEASON. And with no bench to really speak of, there will be a lot of mileage put on those aging starters.

I don't see any improvement in their chances even if healthy. Basically you have a roster that doesn't fit well together. Couple that with bad coaching, and you get a 7 seed team with no chance.

They could improve tot he 6 seed perhaps......but WCF is NOT in the cards for this current roster, no way, no how.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Homerism at its finest.

Health won't help you beat the top tier WC teams......they outran you nightly on fast breaks, and you couldn't get defensive stops in the halfcourt. Why? Because old slow players don't run, health or not......they also don't have the footspeed to stay in front of opposing guards.......man a LOT of PGs lit the Lakers up ALL SEASON. And with no bench to really speak of, there will be a lot of mileage put on those aging starters.

I don't see any improvement in their chances even if healthy. Basically you have a roster that doesn't fit well together. Couple that with bad coaching, and you get a 7 seed team with no chance.

They could improve tot he 6 seed perhaps......but WCF is NOT in the cards for this current roster, no way, no how.

So you call it homerism, but if I refer to your post as "Haterism at it's finest" what then?

How about dropping the namecalling crap and just talk basketball?

When the Lakers roster was put together, virtually everyone had them either in the WCF or the Finals. No one knows what this roster could have accomplished or how well the pieces fit together because they had a grand total of 286 minutes on the court together.

The fact is, my stating that the team, if healthy, could possibly reach the WCF is no more homerism than you stating they'd be looking at a #7 seed is haterism. No one knows what this team could have accomplished because they simply didn't have the time together to find out!!

As for D'Antoni. I don't know what any coach could have done with this roster that's better than what D'Antoni did given all of the injuries. Yes, I know that his "7 seconds or less" offense wouldn't work with this team. However, that wasn't what he was trying to do. His offense is about spacing and ball movement. It was "7 seconds or less" in Phoenix because those were the players that he had.

Obviously, if Phil says he wants to be the coach, then bye-bye D'Antoni. Outside of that, if the Lakers are going to fire him, they need to make sure that they have someone better already locked up.