• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe comes back, Lakers get worse, who would have thought?

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Retro I completely agree with every thing you said but maybe the kids idea of owning the Lakers is not to win but to make money.

In that case the money you spend on players is directly influenced by players that will sell tickets and if fans want to see Kobe at 35 then you pay Kobe. After that their main concern should be selling tickets while having as low of a salary as possible to maximize revenue sharing. Melo and Klove are coming to mind, let them stat chase and fill out the rest of the roster with whom ever wants to wear the uniform. They will never sniff the 2nd round but tickets will be sold, revenue will be shared, and that huge ass TV contract paycheck will keep rolling in.

They can do that all day as long as the fans stay "loyal".

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that Phil and Jeannie have more weight because they are hanging around more, short Buss is not as quick to eff things up but that $48 million extension given to Kobe has his grimey little fingerprints all over it. You are correct, he needs to be barred from the day-to-day activities of the club because I guarantee you he is going to eff this thing up with all the new TV money when supposedly the Lakers have a huge cap space in 2015.

We'll never know but you have to believe that if Doc Buss were alive today, he'd have signed off on the Kobe contract. Did the same with Magic's gentleman agreement of $25mill. Jim/Jeanie whomever were likely following in dad's way of taking care one of their own -- a key player at that which has brought them millions over 17 years.

As for the draft, at some point you do need to pluck a diamond out of the rough if luck is on your side. Seeing as to how their draft pick cupboard is bare, I doubt that through trades and FA's signing will be their viable options. I don't believe for a second that they can allow a draft pick to become a superstar overnight. It takes some time for most and they'd have to fleece another team(see Pau) to land a significant player. My money is on Buss family to not waste 4-5 years to eventually become a contender. If they can do it through FA's/trades to get us back to that level that's what they'll do.

All of our analysis is a moot point but fun to discuss.

LeBronMonsterDunk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny watching Laker "fans" attempt to justify that horrid contract.

"Well maybe the Lakers can make some trades and sign some guys, I'm sure we'll be just fine!"

:lol:

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny watching Laker "fans" attempt to justify that horrid contract.

how old are you dude? Tell me you're 30 or something 'cause then I'd start to teach you on the principles of running a company/bonus plan, etc. If you're under 30 then you're just a wet-behind-the-ears ignorant little shit rootin for LeClown and the Heat as an afterthought.

LeBronMonsterDunk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how old are you dude? Tell me you're 30 or something 'cause then I'd start to teach you on the principles of running a company/bonus plan, etc. If you're under 30 then you're just a wet-behind-the-ears ignorant little shit rootin for LeClown and the Heat as an afterthought.

So if I'm 30 you're going to teach me about running a NBA franchise, something you have absolutely zero experience with, but if I'm not 30 you're just going to insult me?

Laker "fans" sure are upset these days. Deep down they know their time in the limelight is over.

Hey at least you get to watch Kobe throw up bricks and stay injured in his twilight years though!

:lol:

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if I'm 30 you're going to teach me about running a NBA franchise, something you have absolutely zero experience with, but if I'm not 30 you're just going to insult me?

that's the answer I was expecting......go suck on LeClown's nuts

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retroram, i agree that getting Phil involved now is the answer. If they get a basketball mind to run it, or at least be the GM for a period of years, he will eventually create a set of assets and an attractiveness to LA.

BAM, that Magic contract of $25Mil was not to play, it was a $1M per year deal to be a part of the franshise he recreated after they drafted and had him their entire career.

It was not a handcuff to day to day salaries and in fact the CAP was not in place.

Its really not a relevant point to how to build and manage under the new CPR rules.

Its time you see that until fans stop heralding and supporting this, your feeding the greedy monster.

When the "brand" is bigger than the product, the brand dies. The product builds a brand, never the other way, and the product is to win, not look pretty

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BAM, that Magic contract of $25Mil was not to play, it was a $1M per year deal to be a part of the franshise he recreated after they drafted and had him their entire career.

I know, it was a form of a thank you by Doc...unheard of back then and in today's times of fiscal restraint; at least until they paid Kobe whether he performs at a high level or not....

Its time you see that until fans stop heralding and supporting this, your feeding the greedy monster.

When the "brand" is bigger than the product, the brand dies. The product builds a brand, never the other way, and the product is to win, not look pretty

tell that to the Buss family if that is how they want to rebuild the franchise....if they subscribe by your vision then you can say I told you so....

Retroram, i agree that getting Phil involved now is the answer. If they get a basketball mind to run it, or at least be the GM for a period of years, he will eventually create a set of assets and an attractiveness to LA.

It was not a handcuff to day to day salaries and in fact the CAP was not in place.

Its really not a relevant point to how to build and manage under the new CPR rules.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BAM, all brands of value in sports need to start with wins, not appearance. You can fool people some of the time, but not all the time, people will see through it

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BAM, all brands of value in sports need to start with wins, not appearance. You can fool people some of the time, but not all the time, people will see through it

WTF+FJ+Read+Desc.+.+So+for+some+odd+reason+I_849174_4934638.gif

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers history in past 15 years hasn't been for appearances sake - more titles than any other club for the record

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People, the contract is for only 2 fuckin years. Get over it already!

LeBronMonsterDunk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers history in past 15 years hasn't been for appearances sake - more titles than any other club for the record

Phil Jackson isn't walking through that door.

Shaq isn't walking through that door.

Afro Kobe isn't walking through that door.

Robert Horry isn't walking through that door.

Derrick Fisher isn't walking through that door.

Dr. Buss isn't walking through that door.

All of the things directly responsible for the success during that 15 years are GONE and aren't coming back.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Botslayer, you have some legitimacy to the point that short Buss's idea of running the club is to make money by throwing money at aging players but his business acumen to accomplish that is fundamentally flawed apart from Kobe.

Estimates of the amount of revenue Kobe alone generates for the Lakers is in the neighborhood of $50-$60 million per year and was one of the contributing factors Comcast came calling to throw a boatload of money at the franchise in the recent T.V. deal. Kobe is not going to be around forever, so to make that a business practice is short-sighted indeed.

It is erroneous outside of Kobe because throwing large sums of money at aging players just so fans can come to see the players is a short-sighted approach because if the players don't win but just show up to be seen, the people plunking down the big bucks tickets will eventually tire of all the losing and stop watching ergo last season when things just got chaotic and wins were hard to come by and people stopped coming to Staples center.

LogicMan stated it. You build the brand by winning and then everything else falls into place including making money. This is much of what is happening right now in small markets like Portland and OKC. What is carrying the Lakers right now is its rich history, something similar to what Pat Riley has accomplished in Miami.

Since the three 'ships the Heat have accomplished, people have gravitated towards the winning aspect of the Heat and it has generated a huge winfall of cash. The opposite has occurred in Boston, the Nets, and the Knicks where losing is now cutting into the bottom line. In the case of Boston, like the Lakers, there is a contingency of lifelong fans who will always support these franchises when they are losing but that is not necessarily enough to make the kind of money that T.V. brings.

So, the Lakers have to fundamentally revert back to a model that Dr Buss used and that is to bring in players through the draft who generate winning megateams. Riley has used that in Miami, The Logo has used in Golden State, Shaq is using it in Sacramento as a minority owner, it is what is happening in Portland, and short buss better get his head out of his ass and use the same model or we will be discussing the Lakers in the future as a broken down club that loses a lot.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Estimates of the amount of revenue Kobe alone generates for the Lakers is in the neighborhood of $50-$60 million per year and was one of the contributing factors Comcast came calling to throw a boatload of money at the franchise in the recent T.V. deal.
It is erroneous outside of Kobe because throwing large sums of money at aging players just so fans can come to see the players is a short-sighted approach because if the players don't win but just show up to be seen, the people plunking down the big bucks tickets will eventually tire of all the losing and stop watching ergo last season when things just got chaotic and wins were hard to come by and people stopped coming to Staples center.

In the case of Boston, like the Lakers, there is a contingency of lifelong fans who will always support these franchises when they are losing but that is not necessarily enough to make the kind of money that T.V. brings.

If you're referring to TV/Advert revenues shared by league with teams, I believe it's roughly $60 million for an owner to simply open their arena doors.

They rolled the dice on Nash and got Howard. Nash had never been injured in past so they gambled and lost. We all know why Howard didn't resign. Disagree about people not coming to Staples last year - a few games ago vs. Memphis here was the first time in 199 straight games it wasn't sold out.

I get it about the brand/players past their prime, etc. Lakers have never stood pat over the years for the most part. We know their lean years in the '90's post Magic and Bulls run, etc. I'm not sold that we cannot rise to prominence next year or in '15 through a combination of FA signings and trades.

Where do these figures come from? I hadn't read or heard about that before. Also correction it's the Time Warner Cable not Comcast deal which gives them a cushion unlike most teams have: $200 mill per year.

short buss better get his head out of his ass and use the same model or we will be discussing the Lakers in the future as a broken down club that loses a lot.

We'll just have to wait and see I guess

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers brand has already been built. A few years without a title isn't going to hurt the brand. Kobe is still selling the 2nd most jerseys. I'm not privy to their finances, but I'm sure they are selling plenty of other merchandise. If this franchise wallows around for a couple of decades, things would likely change, but, do really expect that?

LeBronMonsterDunk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe goes away, Lakers go back to winning.

Is it surprising to you?

Not to me.