• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe comes back, Lakers get worse, who would have thought?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think it was good thing to begin with - horrible amount even though Kobe was taking a 7 million a year pay cut. Even $15 million a year would have been more then Kobe is worth. Kobe is 4th in the NBA ever in the terms of the most mileage on is body - That's going to add up to more injuries. Steve Nash is another one - signing a player on a 3 year contract that puts him into 42 years old if he continues to play and he has a bad back - Jim Buss has got to be smoking some bad stuff in that office

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dizney troll be dizney threadin'....

Bartman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think it was good thing to begin with - horrible amount even though Kobe was taking a 7 million a year pay cut. Even $15 million a year would have been more then Kobe is worth. Kobe is 4th in the NBA ever in the terms of the most mileage on is body - That's going to add up to more injuries. Steve Nash is another one - signing a player on a 3 year contract that puts him into 42 years old if he continues to play and he has a bad back - Jim Buss has got to be smoking some bad stuff in that office

Yeah, the Nash contract doesn't get talked about enough in terms of bad contracts. The Buss family is pretty dumb to pay Nash a multi-year contract. Of course, the Kobe contract is much worse especially since they had no idea if Kobe would get back to high level of play. Why not wait a couple of months before signing Kobe and see what his play is like before extending for 48 Million.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Father time always wins. He will recover, maybe he is only 80% moving forward. He has the years on him like KG. KG seems to be in better health tho.

The only question remains.............$25M? Really?

Just strange management in LA on this contract.

Hope he comes back, he is fun to watch. Phil needs to form a coup on that ownership/family

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Nash deal was much worse as they gave away so many assets. Kobe issue is just limiting their ability to attract and pay for good free agents. Whats the centerpiece anymore?

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe was a 1st team All NBA guard.

he signed for the market rate that 1st team all NBA guards command.

It was not some ridiculous contract that was far exceeding his on court value.

Injuries happen.

Tommorow, Lebron James can break his leg. That doesn't mean his contract was bad one.

The LAKERS will be fine.

They have a INSANE amount of cap space and a desirable destination even with the Kobe contract.

Now the Miami Heat might be screwed beyond belief for a long time....their salary situation is frankly franchise killing backloaded.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Nash deal was much worse as they gave away so many assets. Kobe issue is just limiting their ability to attract and pay for good free agents. Whats the centerpiece anymore?

Certainly more than I would liked to have seen him get, but there is still cap room to attract and pay for good free agents. They aren't paying him $62.9 million a year.

The Lakers aren't getting a top FA this upcoming summer anyway. Other Lebron, I wouldn't pay any of these top FAs max contracts. Neither Carmelo of Deng are worthy of salary increases.

I think ultimately this summer ends up being the Lakers chance to reign in the salary to a level at least below the luxury tax threshold as to avoid the very punitive repeater tax penalties.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Nash trade was a killer though. I liked acquiring him at the time, but did not like having to give up 2 1st rounders. With any luck, he'll medically retire this season and won't count against the cap next season. The news today is that he is still out at least 4 more weeks.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rule, I say trade Gasol for anything, and Tank, tell Kobe to sit it out this year and evaluate the young players. Those young players if good need to get resigned soon before year end. Then get a top draft pick

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep Lakers are always on your mind, you hate the Lakers more then you love your team. Very sad :L

How long have you been a heat fan again ??

Since about June. :2cents:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rule, I say trade Gasol for anything, and Tank, tell Kobe to sit it out this year and evaluate the young players. Those young players if good need to get resigned soon before year end. Then get a top draft pick

I said something similar on a different thread. This season should now be about developing and evaluating the youngsters to assess whether they should be kept for the future. Trade Gasol as long as it maintains future cap flexibility. Otherwise, just let his contract expire.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The LAKERS will be fine.

They have a INSANE amount of cap space and a desirable destination even with the Kobe contract.

Now the Miami Heat might be screwed beyond belief for a long time....their salary situation is frankly franchise killing backloaded.

Hmmmm well said Horns

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said something similar on a different thread. This season should now be about developing and evaluating the youngsters to assess whether they should be kept for the future. Trade Gasol as long as it maintains future cap flexibility. Otherwise, just let his contract expire.

obviously you always have to guard against that injury but we were moving ahead with the premise to see what we could get out of this group. I agree about trading Pau especially if he continues to play as he has in the past week - but that was more a by-product of playing with Kobe.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
obviously you always have to guard against that injury but we were moving ahead with the premise to see what we could get out of this group. I agree about trading Pau especially if he continues to play as he has in the past week - but that was more a by-product of playing with Kobe.

Pau's better play coincided with Kobe's return. Those two were working good together but not really in the framework of D'Antoni's offense. Without Kobe for awhile, again we'll see more of the type of offense that D'Antoni likes and Pau doesn't.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its just so hard to move Pau........................maybe a team who is trying to get under for next year specifically?

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or a team that can get a guy to get them over the top in playoffs....skilled big men are now a rarity. my hunch is that he'll stay with team. if I was a betting man, I'd go with him being traded.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the Nash contract doesn't get talked about enough in terms of bad contracts. The Buss family is pretty dumb to pay Nash a multi-year contract. Of course, the Kobe contract is much worse especially since they had no idea if Kobe would get back to high level of play. Why not wait a couple of months before signing Kobe and see what his play is like before extending for 48 Million.

There is one thing about the Nash contract that makes it decent though - I seriously doubt even Nash expected to play next season in the last year of his contract - so the right point guard were to come along, the Lakers could waive him and distribute the last year over three season against the salary cap, so 9.7 million divided by 3 would be about 3.2 million for each year even though they might after to pay Nash off in the first year.

The Lakers were in panic mode and were afraid of dissing him by making him wait and they threw that 24 Million out there to test him and Kobe knew that he wasn't worth half of that and said yes before they could figure out they were getting screwed

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first step in the rebuilding mode is to remove short Buss from anymore influence in spending money via ridiculous contracts to aging players. Then, bag this notion that a big max contract is the way to a return to championship caliber. You have to go back to the roots of Dr. Buss and that means the draft. Trade players for picks just like what Portland did and OKC did a few years back. Both are going to very good for the foreseeable future and they did it initially with low level contracts and drafting very good players. Granted Kevin Durant and Westbrook may see some bigger bucks but even their second tier bench is very young and very good with low money contracts.

So, the Lakers and the insanity of short Buss is hamstringing this franchise because he has some delusions of grandeur which are completely warped. Jeanine is the one with the basketball acumen and she has the ear of Phil who would love to be the next GM. Unless she takes the reins of this franchise, their hopes of returning to championship form are a pipe dream at best.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retro ram, I hope some of you fellow Lakers poster read your statements. Perhaps out of necessity, or because of desired wishes, I have had many dialogs with these posters where they claim the Laker model is "everyone wants to come here and we always use Free Agency and Cash........and look at our past success"

You are right, its always been about using the draft, and accumlating talent and assets. The Lakers will turn around when Kobe leaves and they change ownership and/or which family member runs it.

In Boston, this crap would explode the fan base and the negative press alone would run the Dantoni/Mitch/Short Buss group out quickly. Problem is the owner, so getting it changed requires a major major shift

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely LogicMan and I have expressed this viewpoint on other threads. Granted, people do want to play for the Lakers but that is not the foundational tenet that Dr. Buss used to create megateams. He used the draft starting with the Magic Johnson era and then he brought one maybe two FA's in as complementary to an already talented roster such as when he traded for Abdul-Jabbar and Mychal Thompson in separate transactions to add to an already stocked roster of Worthy, Coop, Johnson, Rambis, and others that were obtained by the draft.

This business of trading away first round picks and running after fools gold in the form of aging veteran players is the thought process of short buss. When he took over, he got rid of most of the remnants of Phil and blew up the scouting department. Just completely stupid to the consternation of his sister. Dr. Buss was still alive (barely), but when he died, Jeannie stepped in and provided some business and basketball sense to the complete abortion short buss had created in just two short years.

Now that Phil and Jeannie have more weight because they are hanging around more, short Buss is not as quick to eff things up but that $48 million extension given to Kobe has his grimey little fingerprints all over it. You are correct, he needs to be barred from the day-to-day activities of the club because I guarantee you he is going to eff this thing up with all the new TV money when supposedly the Lakers have a huge cap space in 2015.