• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe broken knee cap out 2 months

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best I can tell from docs and a couple of friends in the medical field, the good news is the injury is very unlikely to be related to the Achilles injury. You can always say maybe the leg weakened or a person subconsciously changed the way they move and that added extra stress but that's because medical science doesn't really have a good understanding yet of all those potential ramifications. It can't definitely say one way or the other but most seem to say it doesn't. So hopefully Kobe takes his sweet time letting the fracture heal and it won't be a recurring thing.

And please, take a shit ton of time. Because this team needs to TANK hard. This is the one year to do it. Even if you miss a top 3 pick, there's a good chance you're still drafting a worthy starter if you're inside the top 10. That potential payoff is of far greater value (both short and long term) than playing hard and just missing the playoffs this year. I didn't think LA would be in a position tank (figured they be just good enough to miss out on a good pick), but with all the injuries, its very much in play.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a guy who bleeds purple and gold though, I still can't fathom the idea of tanking. I understand the need for it and how important it is but I just can't agree with it.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be perfectly fine with Kobe disappearing for the next 9 months but something tells me he's going to be back on the court way too soon. He needs to better manage the end of his career. He should take this year off and sign a one-year extension to play for a penny or something.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broken kneecap just sounds really painful.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a guy who bleeds purple and gold though, I still can't fathom the idea of tanking. I understand the need for it and how important it is but I just can't agree with it.

I hate to sound brash, but people need to get over it. It's a perfectly legit strategy. If you're fine with egregiously going over the cap (hey! We're filthy rich!) to sign and keep players, you can be fine with tanking. Both are taking advantage of the system, just the opposite ends of the spectrum.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to sound brash, but people need to get over it. It's a perfectly legit strategy. If you're fine with egregiously going over the cap (hey! We're filthy rich!) to sign and keep players, you can be fine with tanking. Both are taking advantage of the system, just the opposite ends of the spectrum.

I can deal with tanking in basketball and baseball allot easier than football.

Obviously, the Lakers should have publicly begun a rebuilding era the day the 2012-2013 season ended, which I was vocally in support of during the Duwight soap opera. I'd have gotten billboards all over LA for Duwight too; showing him two middle fingers and a plane ticket out of LA.

But hey, it's the Buss kids' money; not ours!

If I was Jeanie, I'd take that prick to court, arrest control of the Lakers back and hire Phil to work with Kupchak to bring back a golden era of dominant basketball to LA.

I loved Showtime more than anything in all of sports and even though basketball will never be that good (for me) again, I'd love to bring what happened with Shaq and Kobe back to LA. Damn that was fun!

Berkeley_Blues

Retired Experience Junkie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best part of Kobe Bryant is gone and it ain't coming back. Kobe is done as an impact superstar. Why?

Because he's 35 and turned Pro almost 2 decades ago -- that's WHY! He's 35 year old pro with 40 year old mileage.

Sure, Kobe will likely contribute again but he won't anchor or be the center piece of any championship runs. He'll be a nice add on like Ray Allen.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AZ D-Backs, Kobe's injury is not a broken knee cap for the last damn time. It is a cracked Tibial table. There is a distinct difference.

Wild Turkey, I agree. The Achilles rupture and the rehab had little to do with the injury he sustained several nights ago. If anything, his left leg was stronger because of the focused rehab for the Achilles. Kobe should take the advice of many on this board and go rest up for next year. This year is a wash for Kobe anyways.

Hammer, is that Jack you are sitting behind? I did see the Big Fundamental in your posted pixs. But isn't that what money does, is buy friends and influence??

DimesD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hell yeah. it's an advantage. Cleveland traded away their leading scorer R Davis (@ 20ppg) the season before they got hometown LBJ. Toronto is trying to repeat with Wiggins. Hometown superstar coming into the draft, you have to tank rather be less than mediocre.

Top 3 seems unattainable for us unless the lotto gods are happy with jim Buss. And they aren't. I say, get in the lotto, hope for something decent, trade up (meaning we need to clear house for draft picks - Gasol, Hill, Meeks Kaman - should net 2 decent picks). I like to shoot for Exum. He's slated @ #4 but could fall since I believe Smart will be the first PG taken. Less unknowns. If we don't get get Exum, the kid from UCLA, Lavine seems interesting.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just another reason why you don't sign aging players to contract extensions when coming off injuries.

First, they paid Nash too much and he already had a history of back issues and they have just gotten worse while with the Lakers.

Then, they sign Kobe to a ridiculous extension when he hadn't even played a game this season.

So, they are paying two broken down, aging HOFers 33M per combined and eating up a HUGE chuck of that salary cap they were trying to save for FA.

I just don't get the reasoning. And, because Kobe came back when he did, the salary they have paid him so far (14M and counting ) isn't even insured because he wasn't gone for more than 40 games with the same injury.

There was no reason the Lakers needed to sign Kobe to an extension before he even played a game this season.

Well, at least Kobe, Nash and the Suns can laugh all the way to the bank ( they still get the Lakers 1st in '15 for Broke Back Nashian ).

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just another reason why you don't sign aging players to contract extensions when coming off injuries.

So you recommend that the Lakers should of have not signed Kobe an extension at all ?? :scratch:

First, they paid Nash too much and he already had a history of back issues and they have just gotten worse while with the Lakers.

Who where you going to get at the time ? they needed a PG badly, The CP3 deal got veto & Ramon Session got offered a good deal by the Lakers & he went to Charlotte like an idiot, the only other PG available was Nash & he took far less to come to LA then what he would of got in Toronto.

So, they are paying two broken down, aging HOFers 33M per combined and eating up a HUGE chuck of that salary cap they were trying to save for FA.

What are you talking about ? This is irrelevant to next season, Lakers will have over 35 $million availabale in Cap space next season, we are not a low budget market, quit acting like if they are going broke dude :laugh3:

Besides what big FA are available next season aside from Leflop & Melo ?? wich we all know ain't coming here, even if Kobe took 5 -7 million less, 2014 NBA Free Agents | HOOPSWORLD | Basketball News & NBA Rumors

Well, at least Kobe, Nash and the Suns can laugh all the way to the bank ( they still get the Lakers 1st in '15 for Broke Back Nashian ).

Who cares about what the Suns laugh at ?? I don't see any NBA Championship Banners at that Garbage US Airways Center :L

What a joke!! all laugh at that :lol:

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say they shouldn't sign him to an extension. Just not at the ridiculous money they are paying him.

And I guess you are right about the FA thing because no star wants to play with Kobe anyways, so we can just all sit back and watch Kobe collect his 48M for the next 2 seasons while the Lakers continue to be a mediocre team.

Look, I like Kobe as a player, but his attitude and having to be the "man" has rubbed players the wrong way and everyone knows it and he (and the Lakers) have to live with that reputation.

There is no denying the Lakers could've won more 'ships with Kobe and Shaq, but they were both immature and selfish. Kobe wanted it to be his team and Shaq was unwilling to concede the team to Kobe ( the way Kareem did to Magic ).

Kobe has been making that same mistake. It's the ultimate reason Dwight left town. Now, we can argue all day long as to whether Dwight was ultimately worth it or not, but he was the only young star the team had and he bolted because of Kobe.

And, the Lakers may have needed a PG, but they didn't need to give up 2 1st round picks and 9M per for a broken down Nash. Not only is it a waste of money, but it hurts the future rebuilding of the team. You can't possibly be happy with what the Lakers have gotten out of that trade.

And that cap space you mentioned. It is because they have only Kobe and Nash on the books for next season. They still need to sign 12-13 more players to play along-side those two and Gasol may end up taking 10M of that all by himself if they resign him.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AngeLakeRams. You have some very legitimate points and I agree the Nash deal was simply atrocious. We destroyed alot of near future with one deal. A lot of fans in LA think the Kobe extension was indeed too high along with the pundits because of the very item you have stated. The Lakers till have to complete a roster that is hopefully competitive and many of the players are already in here.

Both of these deals has short Buss's grimey little fingerprints on them and if Jeannie and Phil do put their collective feet down, this idiot is going to run this franchise permanently into the ground if he has not done so already. Throwing money around on aging players may give one a sense of power but since this idiot nearly wrecked the scouting department when he took over, he simply has little else to do to show everyone else that he thinks he knows what he is doing. Short Buss is completely incompetent when it comes to the draft and this is one reason he gave away to first round picks to someone in the same conference. Dr. Buss would have never done that. Never!

So, if we are going to go anywhere to reclaiming a 'ship status, somebody has to put this little bastard in his own room full of toys to occupy him while the real business of the club is continued without him!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now Dr. Michael Kaplan from ESPN, a medical contributor, is stating that if Kobe comes back too quickly, he runs the risk of another injury in that left leg including potentially requiring surgery to put hardware in his knee to correct bone fragment drift that may occur by placing too much stress on the tibial plateau or table before the tibia is healed.

Kaplan further suggested that the 6 weeks recovery is a modest figure and accounting for all factors such as previous injury to the knee which Kobe had done back in 2011-2012 where he went to Germany to get the platelet rich treatment that Gasbag got before this season and his age, that perhaps 12 weeks is a better return time that would allow the bone to thoroughly heal. This is what I had anticipated all along and it just may be reality if Kobe hopes to finish his present contract extension.

This is beginning to look more and more like a Steve Nash situation and perhaps he should re-evaluate his career after the complete healing of the tibia 12-13 weeks from now. The long and short of it, is Kobe should consider not playing again this year as many have suggested if he wants to play next year.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be more than 6 weeks. They say 6 weeks for the break to heal. However, since it's his leg, he can't keep on his cardio. He'll need time after it heals to get his fitness back. I'm thinking 8 weeks minimum.