• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Kings vs Pliers 2023 WCQF G4

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that felt like the ending we sort of expected. It's like one giant montage of Doughty down on one knee and them beating Korpisalo from faceoff dot high.

Kings lost this in the second period with how they came out and honestly, Campbell made some huge saves to keep the Oilers within reach. It's 2-2 overall, but you really feel like when we look back, this was the game. Somewhere Quick is smiling on this 3-0 blown lead. They did it all year, and they did it when it mattered most.

The difference was they responded in the 3rd, and they just couldn't get that 5th goal. So it wasn't all lost.

For some reason I just blame McLellan. I feel like his teams always have this hot start-fade late aspect to them. Sharks 2.0. I like how they came out in the 3rd and just sent it all, but you have to take a look at why this team always blows leads.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you knew an OT win was due for Edmonton, but since the start of the 2nd the Kings were outscored 5-1. No excuse when you have a 3-0 lead to end the 1st. Not saying go into prevent but not attacking cost them.

Anyone's series now, regroup and prepare for G5. Need to come out strong and stay that way until the end of the game.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lane doing something illegal? Really? Shocking!! POS!

Usually I'd agree with you but I don't think he actually did anything on that one. Looked like Roy was getting ready to blow him but Kane was ready for it and learned back in.

Just a freak collision, luckily Roy didn't get hurt.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arvidsson has played great, but man, could you please work on your breakaways these next few days?

He and Byfield can work together, maybe between the two of them scoring a half a goal they'll both get on the score sheet.

=)~~

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Career​

GPGAP+/-

Is this really how a number two pick in a draft plays?

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not gonna lie. That is 8 more goals than I remember seeing him score. haha

Yikes. When you see the physical numbers, not good at all. Honestly makes you wonder how he scored all those goals in the OHL, were the goalies that bad?

Hoping he can pot some in this series, it would a) make me feel a little better about this pick and b) maybe help his confidence.

He certainly has had tons of looks all season long and even in this series, you'd figure at some point even the law of averages has to kick in. Most of his peers from 2020 are averaging between .42-.50 PPG, and that includes a defenseman who didn't even play this season (Drysdale). At .33 PPG, not a good look at all. And I'm not even talking about Stutzle.

It's baffling how almost every attempt of his either misses the net by a mile or is shanked or hits a skate or whatever.

Last edited:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, they just said Skinner will start Game 5 for Edmonton. Interesting move.

I have reexamined my life and come back from the ledge and sorta feel better about Kings chances again. I still believe Game 4 was a massive blown opportunity, but series is tied 2-2 and we'll see what this team is made of. Hoping Fiala had no setbacks because he came out hot, and the team did look different with him. They said Lizotte is skating, but no update on him playing. Lizotte on the 4th line wouldn't be such a liability like they clearly believe Kupari and JAD are. Especially with these games going to OT so much, having a shortened bench has been really tough. Kings basically dropping to three lines after the first period.

Also, what's up with the massive gap between Game 5 and 6? They played every other day Games 1-5, then take 4 days between 5 & 6.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, they just said Skinner will start Game 5 for Edmonton. Interesting move.

I have reexamined my life and come back from the ledge and sorta feel better about Kings chances again. I still believe Game 4 was a massive blown opportunity, but series is tied 2-2 and we'll see what this team is made of. Hoping Fiala had no setbacks because he came out hot, and the team did look different with him. They said Lizotte is skating, but no update on him playing. Lizotte on the 4th line wouldn't be such a liability like they clearly believe Kupari and JAD are. Especially with these games going to OT so much, having a shortened bench has been really tough. Kings basically dropping to three lines after the first period.

Also, what's up with the massive gap between Game 5 and 6? They played every other day Games 1-5, then take 4 days between 5 & 6.

Interesting indeed but I'll take either of the Oilers goalies in net. Skinner gave up some softies and isn't the force they thought he was and Campbell is Campbell, easily rattled. He played stellar in G4 but gave up meatball rebounds LA just couldnt cash in on. Conundrum for them, so I'm assuming the logic is the guy who got them there and into the playoffs is the guy who should start since he carried thw bulk of the load in the second half.

The Kings situation is different, Copley was that guy for LA buy they didn't get Korpisalo spending a 1st to have him sit on the bench. The writing was on the wall for Copley when they acquired Korpisalo, anyone believing otherwise didn't look into the optics well enough.

Fiala looked great, hopefully he is good to go. The Lizard busts his butt but he's better suited for 4C duty. Read he was in a NC jersey so I wouldn't be surprised to see him out tonight but who knows, I wasn't expecting Fiala in G4 either but that happened. Guys like JAD need to find another home, he simply doesn't bring enough to the table compared to what LA already has. I think he will be gone by fall for roster and cap reasons. I wouldn't mind seeing Walker in tonight for Durzi or Edler either, I'm sensing a Durzi Fright Night tonight for some reason and Edler is slow but physical. I'd be OK with either of them sitting.

G4 was a debacle overall, don't care how well they played in the 1st and 3rd. Big test overall for LA here, let's see how they've matured and how they face adversity.