• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kings staying in Sacramento impacts Mariners

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I am walking away from the NBA. I find Blazer fans very pessimistic and even actively root against their team, so I stopped following them before this season (though only followed them since the Sonics left). Now, I couldn't care less if the NBA folds. This whole Sea vs. Sac situation has been messed up since the beginning, and it was only that way because the NBA wanted it that way.

yeah I tried hoping on the trailblazers but I couldn't, don't get me wrong I like lillard and ill support them but I couldn't call myself a fan im just to hardcore into seattle

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad hockey doesn't make a penny or they could just get a hockey team, build that state of the art arena and make Silver come begging to play in it.

I just don't understand the NBA, a renovated arena in Seattle isn't good enough, a brand new privately funded state of the art arena isn't good enough. Yet a renovated arena in OKC is fine, an arena plan that will never come to pass in Sacramento is good enough?

I just don't get the economics going into a negotitation for a new television contract, maybe two top 60 tv markets is better than 1 12th market? One says they will bankrupt themselves by taking no revenue sharing, while the other group says we won't touch it yet put money into it. What am I missing here from a business standpoint? Unless they are going back and saying it isn't about business which was there entire point for a lockout.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't see the press conference, but exactly what goes on with the sale now? Does the NBA have the authority to approve minority owners?

The only thing I'm interested in is the Maloof's sueing the NBA and get David Stern under oath. His smug, I'm better than you attitude works great in front of politicians or media where he faces no punishment.

It basically wipes away the deal for the 65% majority ownership, but there's still the backup off for the 20% minority ownership. Needless to say, I have no faith. When the first words out of David Sterns mouth at the press conference is, "I need to make this quick as I have to get to the OKC for the game tonight", we don't and never had a chance. That guy is a scumbag! Bottom line, H/B/N were used as a pawn to get a new public financed arena in Sac; they got it. Good for them, they had the commish on their side trying to right the wrong he knows he made in Seattle back in 08'. Well, mission accomplished.....except he shit on our front porch for a second time in righting his wrong. Sac deserves their team, but under the deal we had in place compared to the deal to move the Sonics in 08' we should be buying tix for next season. Instead we are left in the cold while the child molester KJ is throwing a party, I'm now done with that league. Go Hawks!

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just find it ridiculous that a city that has as many economic problems as Sacramento now can afford an NBA team this expensive. How about spending some of that money to fix other things. KJ may be a good cheerleader but will be exposed as a terrible major once this hampers the city and the arena deal falls through.
It may be rosy today for Sac but I dont think it will 5 years from now. The NBA will look dumb for taking this deal.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throughout this entire process I have to say I'm happy I'm not a huge basketball fan. I was looking forward to a new team just because I enjoy going to the games and would try to get myself interested, but other than that my only feelings are empathy for the ownership group trying to buy the team. Seriously what more could Chris Hansen's group do? I've never seen anyone dedicate so much money to that cause.

I have not really followed this extensively so if anyone could answer this question for me I'd love to know...

The NBA denied the Kings relocation to Seattle, but how does that impact Chris Hansen and his investment group? Didn't he still purchase the team from the Maloofs? Does this mean that Hansen will own the team but be unable to relocate them from Sacramento?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know much about the official "franchise" rules in the NBA but if I'm the Maloofs and somehow the NBA denies the sale to Chris Hansen I would be REALLY FUCKING PISSED... Chris Hansen gave them an incredible offer that (I believe) was tons more than what Sacramento was offering.

I just don't understand how the NBA can tell the Maloofs what they can and cannot do with their team. But then again I guess if a McDonalds franchise said they wanted to flip the M upside down and stop selling cheeseburgers they'd have a problem too...

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know much about the official "franchise" rules in the NBA but if I'm the Maloofs and somehow the NBA denies the sale to Chris Hansen I would be REALLY FUCKING PISSED... Chris Hansen gave them an incredible offer that (I believe) was tons more than what Sacramento was offering.

I just don't understand how the NBA can tell the Maloofs what they can and cannot do with their team. But then again I guess if a McDonalds franchise said they wanted to flip the M upside down and stop selling cheeseburgers they'd have a problem too...

That is a good point... I think the entire process in pretty confusing and I think the NBA is concerned about getting themselves a ton of money and the best way for them to do that is keeping the team in sac and making Seattle buy a different team but I could be very wrong I just don't know that much about the process.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there are a lot of factors that go into this and here is my opinion.

1. the maloofs arent very liked by the NBA so I think this is a way of the NBA to stick it to the maloofs and screw them out of the extra millions they would have made from selling to the seattle group.

2. The NBA knows there are other teams down the line will run into this whole building/funding a new arena so once sacramento scrap together enough to build an arena the league said no to the relocation because they want to keep seattle in their back pocket to blackmail another city into getting a new arena.

3. As far as the deal goes, techniqically hansen can still buy the team they would just have to re-apply next year and become a real pain in the league, now that wouldnt be smart because if your becoming infamous around the league and unliked it wouldnt be in your favor. the league has the right to take a franchise away from you and not allow you to buy anymore teams.

everything is a freakin vote, in all sports the reason why mark cuban couldnt buy the rangers, cubs, or dodgers when they were for sale is because the baseball commish/owners felt that he was to opinionitive and always in the media speaking his mind on everything, and just a walking fine waiting to happen so they didnt want to sell any of their teams to them.

hanson (although im sure wants to cuss the hell out of stern on TV) knows its better to just play the game because in the end you will need the support of the commish, and owners to eventually get a team back to seattle.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hanson (although im sure wants to cuss the hell out of stern on TV) knows its better to just play the game because in the end you will need the support of the commish, and owners to eventually get a team back to seattle.

Then the question will be, do we as fans really give two shits after being strung along over a period of 5-10 years? It's hard for me to say this, but after following this nightmare from day one I am kind of at my end. The asshole owners are in place because us as fans pay money to attend and support these teams. We aren't the only factor for success as a league, but you would think that the commissioner would keep the fans in mind when a touchy scenario such as this one is brought to the fore front. Instead the prick throws a low blow commenting on the OKC game with his first comments with no regard for a fan base that stood by their team and his league for 41 years; a big Fuck You to us apparently. It's time for the Sonics faithful to step back and take a break from all of this insanity! Let's try to enjoy what we have rather than what we don't have, I know it's an old cliche. With that being said, on one of the darkest days in recent Seattle sports an old friend comes through with a bright light on the city. Thanks Raul, you killed it and helped out on a day that we all needed it. Go M's!

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I don't understand how the Maloofs can leave $65 million on the table and walk away from it, and be happy about it. There must be something in writing between the Maloofs and the NBA that we don't know about.

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. The NBA knows there are other teams down the line will run into this whole building/funding a new arena so once sacramento scrap together enough to build an arena the league said no to the relocation because they want to keep seattle in their back pocket to blackmail another city into getting a new arena.

Yes. This.

Next up: New Orleans. "You Cajuns shape up, get in line, or say goodbye to your team. And Milwaukee, you're next. Love, David Stern"

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. This.

Next up: New Orleans. "You Cajuns shape up, get in line, or say goodbye to your team. And Milwaukee, you're next. Love, David Stern"

Actually New orleans was on the chopping block at one point but the owner of the saints all bought the team to make sure they wont move, they will be now called the New orleans Pelicans (you read that right)

Milwaukee will be a possibility though

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or even any other team that sees a $625 million price tag to jump ship; sell high.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually New orleans was on the chopping block at one point but the owner of the saints all bought the team to make sure they wont move, they will be now called the New orleans Pelicans (you read that right)

Milwaukee will be a possibility though

This was another horse crock from David Stern. He wanted basketball to succeed so bad in New Orleans even though history has proven they don't care as when the Jazz left. He admitted a my bad on moving them from Charlotte, gave them an expansion team and when New Orleans went belly up the NBA ran it without an open bidding process. Supposedly Stern and Hansen were talking while the NBA still owned New Orleans.

And from a business perspective, why would the owners hate the Maloof's? They are OK with gamblers who loves to do interviews about superior he was to anyone in the game, a reported Russian mafia guy, a disfunctional family tearing down the Lakers and Cuban being so outspoken but the Maloof's is where they draw the line?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't understand how the Maloofs can leave $65 million on the table and walk away from it, and be happy about it. There must be something in writing between the Maloofs and the NBA that we don't know about.

As I said, I'm not super familiar with the rules in the NBA but I would have to imagine the Maloofs would have grounds for a lawsuit unless the Sac group matched that offer.

The fact that joke of a franchise can even get that high of an offer is absurd IMO.

I'm starting to get the impression that Seattle is just going the NBA's new leverage to get bankrupt cities like Sacramento to shell out 100s of millions of dollars to pay for arenas they cannot afford.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said, I'm not super familiar with the rules in the NBA but I would have to imagine the Maloofs would have grounds for a lawsuit unless the Sac group matched that offer.

They probably do but I guess its one of those things where its better to just take whats on the table and walk away

I'm starting to get the impression that Seattle is just going the NBA's new leverage to get bankrupt cities like Sacramento to shell out 100s of millions of dollars to pay for arenas they cannot afford.

That is EXACTLY what the NBA plans to do with seattle, it will do them no good to give us an expansion team when they can just use us to blackmail teams that dont want to build state of the art arenas

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, it looks like the Maloofs are selling the Kings to the Sac group (no surprise there) for $348 million. After paying off debts to the city and the NBA, they will walk away with about $200 million.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, it looks like the Maloofs are selling the Kings to the Sac group (no surprise there) for $348 million. After paying off debts to the city and the NBA, they will walk away with about $200 million.

Hansen and Ballmer must have been closed door promised a franchise. After hearing some lawyers discuss it, the Maloof's would have at least a 50/50 chance of winning an anti trust lawsuit having to sell for that much less.

50/50 chance of losing an anti trust suit makes any pro league change their tune.

Someone still needs to explain to me how the Maloof's weren't publically selling their share of the Kings but once they did David Stern allowed Sacramento to find local ownership while Howard Schultz was not publically selling his share but that was rushed through without the chance? It was never a let's get your house in order, it was a sell then give him a publically financed palace.

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watcha wanna bet Sacramento gets the #1 pick in the draft lottery? I've heard numerous sports talk show hosts talk about how they believe the lottery is fixed.