• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kings staying in Sacramento impacts Mariners

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was shocked at the vote yesterday, I never thought a bunch of businessmen would turn down the chance to make more money in the long run but.... they did. I do believe Stern had his greasy paws all over that relocation committee and the unanimous decision proves that in my eyes. If relocation is truly off the table then Seattle will never see an NBA team. How can there be a better offer for a team then the current one?

As far the Sonics leaving and placing blame, I go directly to our city gov't. They treated Stern and Schultz like children. Well, us fans are paying for that. Seeing what Sacramento has done all Nickels had to do was the bare minimum to keep the team and they would still be here. I don't have too much hatred for Bennett, he is just a pawn in Stern's vindictive game.

You arent thinkng like an owner. There are at least four franchises in the NBA on the verge of bankrupcy. Meanwhile, You have two ownership groups with plenty of money that want the Kings. One ownership group will only invest in the Kings. The other ownership group will invest in any team that they can move to Seattle. So why not make the Seattle group wait until one of the pending bankruptcy franchises is ready to sell. It may not be what Seattle fans want, but it is a win-win for the NBA owners. Seattle will ultimately get a team, but for now, it aint happening (unless the Seattle group buys the Kings and the City of Sacremento re-negs on the new arena agreement)..

And forget expansion. There is a better chance that teams will be contracted than additional teams added. Expansion makes absolutely no sense right now, from a league perspective.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And forget expansion. There is a better chance that teams will be contracted than additional teams added. Expansion makes absolutely no sense right now, from a league perspective.

Which is why the NBA is what it is. Lockout after lockout and teams still lose money.

P.S. Clay Bennett is still a scumbag with sweaty man boobs

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which is why the NBA is what it is. Lockout after lockout and teams still lose money.

P.S. Clay Bennett is still a scumbag with sweaty man boobs

You don't get as rich as Clay Bennett without being a scumbag somewhere along the line. Chris Hansen has ben honorable throughout the negotiations, but I'm sure he has a few black marks of his own in previous business dealings.

I think the NBA owners, collectively, want the Sacramento group's money, and Hansen's money. The only way to do that is get Hansen to buy a different team. From their perspective, why have only one new arena when you can have two?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, skidmark just really hates it when you call his boyfriend a scumbag. I don't begrudge Clay Bennett at all except him going on tv and stuttering to the few naive Sonics fans who thought he was going to keep the team.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
man I HATE clay Bennett that guy is straight scum he should have NO say in the relocation of the kings to seattle there should be a conflict of interest rule in effect, infact I think there shouldn't be any owners involved with the relocation committee they should only be allowed to vote no recommend why a team should or shouldn't relocate. I bet he doesn't want seattle to have a team because one day the thunder and sonics will play in the playoffs and he would have to travel to seattle

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
man I HATE clay Bennett that guy is straight scum he should have NO say in the relocation of the kings to seattle there should be a conflict of interest rule in effect, infact I think there shouldn't be any owners involved with the relocation committee they should only be allowed to vote no recommend why a team should or shouldn't relocate. I bet he doesn't want seattle to have a team because one day the thunder and sonics will play in the playoffs and he would have to travel to seattle

The conflict of interest is a very valid point but owners have to have a say in it because it affects them. Owners first and foremost need to look out for their own, which brings me back to the point that as positive as David Stern has been to the NBA he also has been the it's worst enemy. After 2 lockouts there is absolutely zero reason and a horrible business model that any NBA franchise loses money.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The conflict of interest is a very valid point but owners have to have a say in it because it affects them. Owners first and foremost need to look out for their own, which brings me back to the point that as positive as David Stern has been to the NBA he also has been the it's worst enemy. After 2 lockouts there is absolutely zero reason and a horrible business model that any NBA franchise loses money.

but the thing is not all owners are involved in the relocation committee, correct me if im wrong but wasnt it a unanimous 7-0 vote to not recomend relocation? so im guessing it was just 7 people voting on the matter?

The terrible politics of this is that clay scumbag bennett is in charge of the committee so if he truley wants the vote to go his way, if someone were to challenge him that person might not be in the committee next year and if hes buddy buddy with david stern im sure he could make that happen

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but the thing is not all owners are involved in the relocation committee, correct me if im wrong but wasnt it a unanimous 7-0 vote to not recomend relocation? so im guessing it was just 7 people voting on the matter?

Correct me If I'm wrong, but I think there are 12 on the committee but only 7 voted, the other 5 didn't vote. Why they didn't vote I don't know.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me If I'm wrong, but I think there are 12 on the committee but only 7 voted, the other 5 didn't vote. Why they didn't vote I don't know.

From what I read their were 12 on the relocation/finance committee so the 5 who did not vote did not because of the financial aspect or whatever.

There are obvious holes in the financial parts of the entire Sacramento deal, including an entire ownership group has not been put together as they are still seeking minority owners. Their "arena deal" is just something that looks nice on paper since a section of that proposed land is in bankruptcy court.

And the 7-0 vote is just a "unanimous" vote to suggest that the team stay in Sacramento not that it officially is staying.

My whole question is that if the NBA shoots down the sale, then does the NBA owe Hansen and co. the $30 million or is David Stern really forcing an ownership group to sell for less money but also give money back?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The vote was just on relocation. Hansen and company could still push forward the sale and not move the team, but why be dickheads like the asshole who stole the Sonics to begin with? As far as the $30m it was said when the parties were meeting with the ownership groups that the Sacramento group would have to add $30m to pay off that down payment.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I think Sacramento's bending over and taking it ploy backfired with Hansen adding 75 on top of it plus guaranteeing money into the revenue sharing. I still heard all that vote meant was a recommendation that the team not move, it has to still be voted on by the owners. The Sonics relocation vote was 28-2 not 7-0. David Stern flip flopping the order in which the committee's met just shows another reason his bias against Seattle. It has always been the economics, sale, then the relocation. Not relocation, sale then economics.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I see it is there are two options

A. Let seattle group buy team and relocate, seattle group has billions, will have a state of the art arena, franchise will be bought at 625million, all revenue sharing profit will be paid faster, Maloof family are out of NBA.

B. (all hell will break loose) decline the move and sale, Maloof family refuses to sell team to sacramento group (which they said they would not), Maloof family still in NBA, Kings will still be bottom of league in attendance and sales. Chris Hansen and Steve Ballmer will just try and buy the team and repeat this process next year anyway.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I see it is there are two options

A. Let seattle group buy team and relocate, seattle group has billions, will have a state of the art arena, franchise will be bought at 625million, all revenue sharing profit will be paid faster, Maloof family are out of NBA.

B. (all hell will break loose) decline the move and sale, Maloof family refuses to sell team to sacramento group (which they said they would not), Maloof family still in NBA, Kings will still be bottom of league in attendance and sales. Chris Hansen and Steve Ballmer will just try and buy the team and repeat this process next year anyway.

I heard on the radio that technically the Maloof's owe some money to the NBA and some legal writings they can force them to sell. But if the NBA forces them to sell to a bidder who is offer 100 million less I am pretty sure that is toeing the line of the anti trust law.

From my minimal understanding of the supreme court ruling on the MLB case is that the pro sports leagues are allow to govern themselves but I would have to think it breaks that finding if by governing themselves they force one entity to intentionally lose money.

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

I heard on the radio that technically the Maloof's owe some money to the NBA and some legal writings they can force them to sell. But if the NBA forces them to sell to a bidder who is offer 100 million less I am pretty sure that is toeing the line of the anti trust law.

From my minimal understanding of the supreme court ruling on the MLB case is that the pro sports leagues are allow to govern themselves but I would have to think it breaks that finding if by governing themselves they force one entity to intentionally lose money.

What a fucking mess. Assuming they get the team, they are going to pay $625 million, plus another $115 million for re-location fees, plus $500 million for an arena. That's $1.25 billion. Would have been a lot more cost effective to have just built the Sonics a new arena 5 years ago. Dumbass city leaders. They always have to do everything the hard way.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a fucking mess. Assuming they get the team, they are going to pay $625 million, plus another $115 million for re-location fees, plus $500 million for an arena. That's $1.25 billion. Would have been a lot more cost effective to have just built the Sonics a new arena 5 years ago. Dumbass city leaders. They always have to do everything the hard way.

So much this

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know much about Hansen but was he a billionaire 5 years ago? Ballmer was interested enough to just give $150 million to the city towards an arena.

I see the more and more this goes on the worse it actually seems for Hansen and co. It would be great for the NBA and other owners to have Ballmer and Hansen as owners but set a bad precedent for owners as well when it comes to negotiating with cities.

And how the fuck did the board of governors get another extension before they finally vote on relocation. When is the finance committee actually going to come out with their recommendation?

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know much about Hansen but was he a billionaire 5 years ago? Ballmer was interested enough to just give $150 million to the city towards an arena.

I see the more and more this goes on the worse it actually seems for Hansen and co. It would be great for the NBA and other owners to have Ballmer and Hansen as owners but set a bad precedent for owners as well when it comes to negotiating with cities.

And how the fuck did the board of governors get another extension before they finally vote on relocation. When is the finance committee actually going to come out with their recommendation?

There is supposed to be a big vote on Wednesday, but I think they delay it. Hansen has given them too much new data to chew on in the past week. If the league allows the Maloofs to sell to Hansen for $625 million, the market value of every franchise in the NBA automatically goes up. Still, two things the NBA has been adamant about the past few years: no expansion and no relocation. Hansen is pushing the envelope to see if their integrity can be bought.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are left out in the cold again, and I now care less if the NBA ever shows up in Seattle! As a diehard Sonics fan from the late 80's, this league has shown nothing that should compel anyone to support it from Seattle. There wasn't a fraction of the effort in keeping the Sonics in Seattle as there has been for Sac, and in the end it's all about your cronies. We were sold to an owner from OKC fully knowing that they were trying to get a team, but Stern made no effort in blocking the sale to keep the team in town. I'm over it, over the league, and glad to see that OKC has the Sonics curse. Karma's a bitch!

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I am walking away from the NBA. I find Blazer fans very pessimistic and even actively root against their team, so I stopped following them before this season (though only followed them since the Sonics left). Now, I couldn't care less if the NBA folds. This whole Sea vs. Sac situation has been messed up since the beginning, and it was only that way because the NBA wanted it that way.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are left out in the cold again, and I now care less if the NBA ever shows up in Seattle! As a diehard Sonics fan from the late 80's, this league has shown nothing that should compel anyone to support it from Seattle. There wasn't a fraction of the effort in keeping the Sonics in Seattle as there has been for Sac, and in the end it's all about your cronies. We were sold to an owner from OKC fully knowing that they were trying to get a team, but Stern made no effort in blocking the sale to keep the team in town. I'm over it, over the league, and glad to see that OKC has the Sonics curse. Karma's a bitch!

Didn't see the press conference, but exactly what goes on with the sale now? Does the NBA have the authority to approve minority owners?

The only thing I'm interested in is the Maloof's sueing the NBA and get David Stern under oath. His smug, I'm better than you attitude works great in front of politicians or media where he faces no punishment.