• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

King Felix officially named starter for AS Game

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picture%2026(13).png

Kind of hard to spread STD's when you don't like vagina isn't it?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeter led his team in WAR in the following seasons:
2001 (tied for the lead)

So that's 5 seasons (3 of which were championship teams) where you can argue Jeter was the best player on the Yankees.

As for Ripken, from 1992-1998 he averaged .270/18/82 with a 96 OPS+ and 3.3 WAR/season, which I wouldn't call "hurting the team." From 1992-1996, he was well above average for shortstop standards (3.9 WAR averaged for those seasons).

Which is a prime example of what is wrong with using formulas (along with the joke of Cabrera/Trout). Jeter was never the best player on any of his Yankee teams. Once ARod got there he wasn't even the best SS on the infield. The fact he has any gold gloves is a black mark on that award.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is a prime example of what is wrong with using formulas (along with the joke of Cabrera/Trout). Jeter was never the best player on any of his Yankee teams. Once ARod got there he wasn't even the best SS on the infield. The fact he has any gold gloves is a black mark on that award.

So Jeter wasn't the best player in 1999 for instance, when he led the Yankees in:
Runs
Hits
Triples
AVG
OBP
SLG
Total bases

You're going say Bernie Williams or Tino Martinez or someone was better that year?

I completely agree that Jeter had no business winning his gold gloves....but there's no way you can reasonably say he was never the best player on any of those Yankee teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fox and Major League Baseball have issued a joint statement on why the loss of Tony Gwynn was not mentioned during the All-Star Game broadcast last night.
"We are deeply saddened by the loss of Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn, an extraordinary individual whose memory we have honored in numerous ways in recent weeks. The Baseball family has sadly lost a number of people this year - including Hall of Famer Ralph Kiner, Frank Cashen, and former All-Stars Jerry Coleman, Jim Fregosi and Don Zimmer - and did not want to slight anyone by singling out one individual."

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Jeter wasn't the best player in 1999 for instance, when he led the Yankees in:
Runs
Hits
Triples
AVG
OBP
SLG
Total bases

You're going say Bernie Williams or Tino Martinez or someone was better that year?

I completely agree that Jeter had no business winning his gold gloves....but there's no way you can reasonably say he was never the best player on any of those Yankee teams.

Jeter was a good player who was surrounded with other good players.

The media acts like it was Jeter that carried those teams, which is far from the case. The Yankees would have still won those championships without Jeter.

Derek Jeter was not the only one who could hit on those Yankees teams. I say that because lord knows Jeter's defense was not something to glorify.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I, too, am surprised that Tony Gwynn's death didn't receive much attention during the all-star game. They mentioned it during the broadcast, of course, but I don't remember seeing a moment of silence or anything for him. I guess maybe they figured that the Stand Up to Cancer moment of silence worked for that purpose, since that's what got him, but I don't even think they segued into it by mentioning him.

This could be off base, but I'll say it anyway. TG lost his fight with cancer. And he got cancer because of heavy use of tobacco. A habit that has been picked up by many a ball player over the years. Chewing has been outlawed in college and minor league baseball for years. But isn't and won't be at the MLB level without a huge fight. (It will an ugly fight, the players union will not be backed by the general public.) As odd as it was to for baseball to not honor one of it's greatest players, (it was disappointing to me that he wasnt give the respect he without a doubt earned as a baseball man) I don't think they wanted to create an opportunity for that conversation to be started. (All Star games are watched by many fringe baseball fans. It could have been a talking point for many, IMO.)

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fox and Major League Baseball have issued a joint statement on why the loss of Tony Gwynn was not mentioned during the All-Star Game broadcast last night.
"We are deeply saddened by the loss of Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn, an extraordinary individual whose memory we have honored in numerous ways in recent weeks. The Baseball family has sadly lost a number of people this year - including Hall of Famer Ralph Kiner, Frank Cashen, and former All-Stars Jerry Coleman, Jim Fregosi and Don Zimmer - and did not want to slight anyone by singling out one individual."
Pure damage control here. They didn't mention Tony Gwynn because they would have had to mention 5 other people too? Bullshit. How about cutting into 5 minutes of your Derek Jeter or Adam Wainwright love affair for a quick mention?

I don't buy it. They just fucked up, that's all.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The media acts like it was Jeter that carried those teams, which is far from the case. The Yankees would have still won those championships without Jeter.

Derek Jeter was not the only one who could hit on those Yankees teams. I say that because lord knows Jeter's defense was not something to glorify.

I guess this sums up my sentiments towards Jeter being the "best" player on any of those Yankees teams. Not trying to take anything away from his accomplishments but ESPN turned him into something alot bigger than what I believe he actually was/is.

But yes, I do think Bernie Williams was every bit as important to the first Yankees run as Jeter was.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
new york is the capital of the sports universe, like it or not. for espn, baseball outside of the northeast might as well not even exist.

i'll never forget going to the first preseason game where jeter hit in the new yankees stadium. people in the stands were crying as he came to the plate. lots of them. it was actually very disturbing to see adults act like teenage girls at a beatles concert.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So in a year like 2000 when the Yankees made the playoffs by 2 games (and Jeter hit .339 with a 128 OPS+), the Yankees win that World Series with an average shortstop instead of Jeter?

The amount of blanket statements about Jeter in this thread is astounding. Let's just make a claim and hope it's true..

Last edited by a moderator:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in a year like 2000 when blah blah blah

stop crying

jeter is an excellent hitter, and a mediocre shortstop

just because you choose to deify him doesn't change those irrefutable facts

stop trolling this board, please

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
new york is the capital of the sports universe, like it or not. for espn, baseball outside of the northeast might as well not even exist.

i'll never forget going to the first preseason game where jeter hit in the new yankees stadium. people in the stands were crying as he came to the plate. lots of them. it was actually very disturbing to see adults act like teenage girls at a beatles concert.

Suuuuuure that happened :rollseyes:

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'll bet you actually rolled your eyes like a little bitch, too, right troll?

So either:
A) you were walking up and down the isles looking at people's faces to tell whether they're crying
B) you doing a full 360 turn in your seat to see that people around you were crying (maybe some exorcism stuff?)
C) the stadium was dead silent when Jeter came up to bat that you could hear numerous adults crying

Nothing imaginary there, cezero...

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyhoo, Felix did a great job.

Did anybody see Detroit fans throw tissies on twitter about Trout getting MVP for the game instead of Cabrera? Wish I could find the article I saw yesterday that showed some of the funnier tweets.