• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

KDS Commentary Presents Draft 2011: the Rise of the Penis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Raptors HQ says:

Right now we've got Kawhi Leonard as our number two choice on the draft board after Brandon Knight, but I'm not so sure the Raps have him there. Based on Jim Kelly's comments yesterday, it sounds like Toronto has its list of options for the fifth pick narrowed down to about five or six main players, and the recent announcement that the team is cancelling Monday's planned workout may further solidify this idea.

I'd hazard a guess and say that the list includes:

-Brandon Knight

-Kemba Walker

-Jonas Valanciunas

-Kawhi Leonard

-Enes Kanter

-Jan Vesely

Knight I maintain is their top choice, but it seems more and more likely to me that he'll be gone by the time Toronto picks. I'm not sure the team is that sold on Kanter or Vesely truthfully, so that leaves Leonard and Walker.

Leonard should have the edge but as Ryan Wolstat pointed out via Twitter yesterday, Raptors scouting guru Jim Kelly operates on the West Coast and therefore has seen Kawhi possibly more than any other prospect. That sometimes hurts a player's chances as he becomes over-analyzed to death, and in fact Kelly's comment about Leonard shooting the ball yesterday better than expected, felt a bit to me like "been there, done that."

As well, drafting Leonard causes a few problems roster-wise.

First, he's not a great shooter, especially from long-range, so unless DeMar DeRozan transforms into Ray Allen this off-season, the two aren't a great fit together I'd argue.

Second, as we noted in his breakdown, Kawhi does have some similarities to James Johnson, the player Toronto basically selected late in the upcoming draft, via last year's trade, so will the team take another SF?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bleacher Report says Jan Vesely:

NBA Comparison: Hakim Warrick

Jonas V's contract issues scared off the Raptors, and Toronto felt like they're set at point guard with Jerryd Bayless, so they passed up on Kemba Walker.

Vesely is selected fifth overall, and he fills a need for the Raptor's at the small forward position.

His athleticism fits perfectly into Toronto's fast paced system, and his above average outside game compliments Demar DeRozan's game.

Vesely also has tons of potential. Being compared to Warrick isn't a bad thing. Warrick also had a promising game coming into the league, but his work ethic held him back.

That's what it ultimately comes down to for Vesely, is he willing enough to put the work and practice in to become great? If so, the Raptor's get a steal of a pick at the fifth overall.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Then another Bleacher Report says we should gun for Bismack Biyomboooooooo:

The Toronto Sun reported this weekend that Dwane Casey, the top defensive assistant for the Dallas Mavericks, is the candidate most likely to come away with the gig.

Assuming Toronto general manager Bryan Colangelo is trying to build a team to suit Casey's defensive philosophy, he would do well to take Biyombo in the first round. The 6'9" big man from the Congo has tumbled down draft boards of late after struggling during a workout in front of scouts in Italy, forcing Biyombo to shift his pre-draft plans to include private auditions for individual teams stateside.

Reports from his European session say Biyombo struggled to put the ball in the basket over the course of 30 agonizing minutes in offensive drills designed by his agent to alleviate NBA teams' concerns about his scoring skills.

However, if the Raptors really are intent on going with defense first, they certainly won't mind the fact that Biyombo, known first and foremost for his athleticism on the defensive end, isn't exactly a scoring machine.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And of course, a third bleacher report says that we should gun for Kemba Walker:

Toronto has the fifth selection in the draft and Walker should be available, as most scouts and GMs have confirmed he is the 3rd best point guard prospect after Kyrie Irving and Brandon Knight.

Kemba has the ability to both score and make plays for others at an equal rate, and could be a great fit with the Raptors, who need to develop a guard to help out Jose Calderon and possibly replace Leandro Barbosa.

Walker brings a skill set that is NBA ready, and Toronto could certainly use that instead of another long-term prospect. They also could use more North American talent on a team that is full of players from other continents, each with a varying type of play style that they picked up in EuroLeagues or wherever else they came from.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Considering Brandon Knight's been lighting it up and impressing teams from his latest workouts, it's becoming unlikely we'll get him. Cavs are really wanting Penis, so we definitely won't get him either (unless God really wants us to unload on the jokes next season?)

So, looks like it's down to Walker/Leonard/Vesely or that dude whose name nobody can pronounce.

froman77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chad Ford has his Mock and its been very accurate in years past. He has it like this:

1. Irving
2. Williams
3. Knight
4. Valanciunas
5. Vesely
6. Kanter

So he thinks the raptors will pass on kanter even if hes available. I don't know why we're going after Vesely though, seems like a 1) A Euro B) A Tweener III) He Can't Shoot. Thats three strikes, although the Ron Weasley jokes will just come so naturally if we take him.

I hope we get Leonard, Knight, or Tristan Thompson. I know TT makes absolutely no sense, but I want to cheer for a fucking canadian and would be pumped to have him as a raptor.

CanadianLogs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
was going to make a canandian poll about this, not sure who's going to be a rap.

i'm going to rule out leonard with the 5th because of his horrible combine and also rule out vessely because colangelo knows we don't want to see no more white stiffs

not sure about the two pg's walker and knight but either of them should place stress on balderon as he fights them off for minutes so in either case we could see a balder rone

penis kanter seems like a massive stiff yet he's probably more welcome in canada than anyone in the draft, well besides cam long

sleeper of the lotto is burks and late leslie

CanadianLogs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bleacher Report says Jan Vesely:

NBA Comparison: Hakim Warrick

Jonas V's contract issues scared off the Raptors, and Toronto felt like they're set at point guard with Jerryd Bayless, so they passed up on Kemba Walker.

Vesely is selected fifth overall, and he fills a need for the Raptor's at the small forward position.

His athleticism fits perfectly into Toronto's fast paced system, and his above average outside game compliments Demar DeRozan's game.

Vesely also has tons of potential. Being compared to Warrick isn't a bad thing. Warrick also had a promising game coming into the league, but his work ethic held him back.

That's what it ultimately comes down to for Vesely, is he willing enough to put the work and practice in to become great? If so, the Raptor's get a steal of a pick at the fifth overall.

jan-vesely-hd.jpg

i'm having a hard time beleiving this guy is athletic, looks like he'd be a worse in game dunker than derozan. Hmmm, with some face paint and a brent barry statue of liberty dunk he could win me over

CanadianLogs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Raptors HQ says:

Right now we've got Kawhi Leonard as our number two choice on the draft board after Brandon Knight, but I'm not so sure the Raps have him there. Based on Jim Kelly's comments yesterday, it sounds like Toronto has its list of options for the fifth pick narrowed down to about five or six main players, and the recent announcement that the team is cancelling Monday's planned workout may further solidify this idea.

I'd hazard a guess and say that the list includes:

-Brandon Knight

-Kemba Walker

-Jonas Valanciunas

-Kawhi Leonard

-Enes Kanter

-Jan Vesely

Knight I maintain is their top choice, but it seems more and more likely to me that he'll be gone by the time Toronto picks. I'm not sure the team is that sold on Kanter or Vesely truthfully, so that leaves Leonard and Walker.

Leonard should have the edge but as Ryan Wolstat pointed out via Twitter yesterday, Raptors scouting guru Jim Kelly operates on the West Coast and therefore has seen Kawhi possibly more than any other prospect. That sometimes hurts a player's chances as he becomes over-analyzed to death, and in fact Kelly's comment about Leonard shooting the ball yesterday better than expected, felt a bit to me like "been there, done that."

As well, drafting Leonard causes a few problems roster-wise.

First, he's not a great shooter, especially from long-range, so unless DeMar DeRozan transforms into Ray Allen this off-season, the two aren't a great fit together I'd argue.

Second, as we noted in his breakdown, Kawhi does have some similarities to James Johnson, the player Toronto basically selected late in the upcoming draft, via last year's trade, so will the team take another SF?

yeah leonard doesn't appear to be athletic enough to be worth a 5th with jj here. he'll probably be a better player than jj as he is going to make the nba about 2 years earlier age wise but i doubt either of them will ever be better than solid. Leonard would need to show serious amounts of statue of liberty dunks to change my opinion on the matter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yeah leonard doesn't appear to be athletic enough to be worth a 5th with jj here. he'll probably be a better player than jj as he is going to make the nba about 2 years earlier age wise but i doubt either of them will ever be better than solid. Leonard would need to show serious amounts of statue of liberty dunks to change my opinion on the matter

How can you say 'no' to this face?

LeonardThumb.jpg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
On my end, right now we desperately need to fill two holes on our roster. Yes, we can debate about whether or not Poon Machine can ever be our starting Center or if Amir and Davis aren't going to get enough minutes, but at the end of the day, we gotta address some of our biggest concerns in this draft before it's too late. And right now, the PG position and the SF position are the biggest areas we need to address. Knight is going to be gone, but I think Kemba Walker would be a great backup PG to Jose (with our new coach easing Kemba into the starting job next season) or a SF like Kawhi Leonard who is supposed to be the next coming of Gerald Wallace. That one article makes a good point thought. As both Kawhi and Brozan aren't great from long-range, this does limit our offense a lot coming into the next season.

CanadianLogs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
On my end, right now we desperately need to fill two holes on our roster. Yes, we can debate about whether or not Poon Machine can ever be our starting Center or if Amir and Davis aren't going to get enough minutes, but at the end of the day, we gotta address some of our biggest concerns in this draft before it's too late. And right now, the PG position and the SF position are the biggest areas we need to address. Knight is going to be gone, but I think Kemba Walker would be a great backup PG to Jose (with our new coach easing Kemba into the starting job next season) or a SF like Kawhi Leonard who is supposed to be the next coming of Gerald Wallace. That one article makes a good point thought. As both Kawhi and Brozan aren't great from long-range, this does limit our offense a lot coming into the next season.

i'm fine with walker as long as he's not to much of a ball hog. i am a fan of the little engine and even though he was labled a ballhog he only shot around 12 fg's a game which is fine. Was intrigued by leonard with the wallace comparisons but i seriously cant find one good dunk from the guy so he cant be that good of an athlete.Even had a 32 inch vert which for example is worse than ed davis by a few inchs and davis is a big. i think shaq had a 32 inch vert

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Truth hurts from Chisholm:

Casey could be the most creative defensive mind the NBA has ever seen for all we know, but without a roster of players that are willing and able to commit to and execute his system, all of Casey's strategic acumen will go to waste. If the Raptors continue to employ Jose Calderon as their first line of defence, Andrea Bargnani as their last line of defence and DeMar DeRozan on the best opposing wings, this team is going to lose. They are going to lose because they are going to get feasted on just like they have for the last two years under Jay Triano. That's why, while this hiring is nice and fine, it's only one small step towards correcting the real problems for the Raptors out on the court.

If Colangelo acts as though this hiring alone will be enough to meaningfully improve Toronto's defence, then they'll fail. By hiring Casey, he's laid down the expectation that improving the team's defence is priority number one, and now it's on him to give Casey what he needs to actually improve it. It's all well and good to hire a talented architect to re-build your house, but if you aren't going to provide them with the tools, materials and personnel that they'd need to build it, what's the point?

from: Chisholm: Casey gets his shot at redemption with Raptors

Talk about ouch...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe we can draft...Tony Parker?

Spurs Offering Parker In Attempt To Acquire Lottery Pick
Jun 21, 2011 9:26 PM EDT

The San Antonio Spurs are engaged in discussions about trading point guard Tony Parker to secure a high pick in Thursday’s draft, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Spurs have talked to teams in the lottery, including the Toronto Raptors and Sacramento Kings, who hold the fifth and seventh picks, respectively. The Kings are determined to get a frontline point guard, and have also talked with the Denver Nuggets about Raymond Felton.

Read more: Spurs Offering Parker In Attempt To Acquire Lottery Pick - RealGM Wiretap

CanadianLogs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
when the refs are rigging for the spurs parker looks great specially his d, when they're not rigging for the spurs he looks average at best. i wish i knew when stern was going to turn on the taps in toronto