• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Justin Morneau

Burgh Sports Rule

Let's Go Bucs!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi guys, despite GI Jones great game tonight, I was wondering, do you think we make the move to pick up Justin Morneau? Or do we stand pat now, after picking up Byrd & Buck?

What would you like to see happen?

Burgh

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would guess that if we are going to pick up Morneau it will have to be before midnight Eastern tonight and we will overpay. My best guess is that we have made all the moves we are going to make, but that is just a guess. The hope on my part would be that Jones just had a bad month and he will heat up is September. In reality he had better hit better in September because he is legitimately playing for his roster spot next season. Without a good month he is not going to be with the Pirates next year and with a good month I don't think his chances are that good.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Presley, cash, and a player to be named later.

Morneau is a Buc.

Burgh Sports Rule

Let's Go Bucs!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Presley, cash, and a player to be named later.

Morneau is a Buc.

Darkstone, just to clarify, the reports I have read indicate the deal is...

Morneau to Pirates.

Presley & a PTBNL Or Cash to the Twins.

I'm thinking more along the lines of cash coming from the Bucs here.

Just so folks don't get worried & think we are giving up another Vic Black type, as the PTBNL. LOL!

Good move for the Pirates, IMO.

Burgh

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i like this move better than what we gave up for byrd and buck.

at least we are trying and willing to spend some money. both good things.

it will be interesting to see how this affects 2014 plans regarding our 1B and RF strategy. since most pitchers are RH, needing lefties who can hit RH but not be terrible against LH.

Gabby has done fairly well on his side, with good D in late innings as well.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah for free I'll take him, Presley was probably gonna be waived this offseason anyway.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nice pickup. I am surpirsed that it got done and I am surprised it was only Alex Presley. I liked AP, but in Pittsburgh he was going to be the odd man out.

This sets up a lot of platoon situations.

1B - Morneau/Sanchez
RF - Jones/Byrd
2B - Walker/Mercer/Harrison
3B - Pedro/Harrison/Martin
SS - Mercer/Barmes

I know it sounds bad to platoon Walker and Pedro, but they have very strong platoon splits and this is not the time for ego's or letting a guy play to get more exposure to something, it is time to put the team with them best chance to win on the field every day.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great pick up for you guys. I've been thinking JM would be a good fit for the Pirates for a while now... he's having a very solid season and he's been healthy all year. GL in the playoffs

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im happy for Morneau and the pirates .. you guys got a good player

Thanks Misko :suds:

So nice to have that kind of power coming over in Morneau. He is a class act. I'm sure Minny has nothing but respect for him. Hopefully he plays well in his time here.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
By the sounds of it Duke Welker will be the ptbnl in the trade, very good bullpen piece for Minnesota if it is true.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shame to see AP go but I hope he can get the opportunity there.

With that said I have no issue with what they gave up, neither was in the Pirates future plans and this really sets up for some good platoon splits. Also made their bench a lot deeper for the playoff run.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither of those guys were going to be an impact player on this squad (this year OR next), Morneau could very well be an impact player on this year's team. He's a great team player, clubhouse guy, + defense, and +power. I like his OPS too. Listened to one of the Twins radio guys on the Fan, and he said that some of the numbers are deceiving because of the lineup he's playing with.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morneau's patient. He makes pitchers work. He draws walks. We needed that in our lineup.

I also think he can be had at an affordable rate for next year if we want him. Byrd, too.

I'd rather see Morneau batting a little higher in the lineup, though. Personally, I think we should move Cutch to second, Morneau third, Byrd cleanup, Alvarez fifth, then Martin, Walker, and Mercer to round out the bottom. Tabata can lead off until Marte comes back and takes that spot.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morneau's patient. He makes pitchers work. He draws walks. We needed that in our lineup.

I also think he can be had at an affordable rate for next year if we want him. Byrd, too.

I'd rather see Morneau batting a little higher in the lineup, though. Personally, I think we should move Cutch to second, Morneau third, Byrd cleanup, Alvarez fifth, then Martin, Walker, and Mercer to round out the bottom. Tabata can lead off until Marte comes back and takes that spot.

It's going to be really difficult to take the bat out of Tabata's hands right now.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree we can sign some of these free agents to be to 1-2 year deals.

Maybe in rf go with Tabata/Snider(because of Polanco being so close) and resign Morneau and Burnett.

The new national tv contract kicks in next year so every team gets 25 million more than they did this year from that.

To bad about Wandy, he picks up that option for sure, I have no idea about the arthritis in his elbow/possible insurance, maybe we can get 15 starts from him?

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i like cutch moving to #2 this year as darkstone suggested.
next year, i can see cutch leading off. better patience than marte and then marte getting more fastbalss with cutch on base.

also think marte will have better power, or at least equal to cutch as not sure cutch will ever hit 30 again, esp at PNC. as a leadoff hitter, cutch will look to go with the pitch more and actually hit more HR than hitting 3rd and trying to pull it so much. just my opinion.

morneau batting 3rd at a reasonable price next year would be better then we could shake out from there.

interesting to see what kind of discounts they will get from their FA with a fun, young, talented team that can be a serious WS contender next year.
they have liriano and martin already next year. barmes gone or 1M for D with all the GB pitchers if none of the young guys can dig it.
burnett, morneau, byrd, buck, jones(high priced arby).
cant pay them 14M, but with the extra money and to give polanco a fullish year at AA/AAA......

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Have a hard time seeing Bryd taking a discount, he is 35 and hasn't made that much money in his career, he should be looking for a big payday.

Morneau I could see taking a discount, he's made a ton of money in his career.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lineup optimization says you should bad your best hitter second, Cutch should have been there from the start of last year.