• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jason Collins and Mark Jackson

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So as everyone knows, Jason Collins has come out and announced that he is a gay man.

Publicly, the vast majority of the responses have been supportive of Collins and his announcement. A few have expressed privately (off the record) that they would be hesitant to be Collins' teammate now that they know. Of course, those will be off the record because the players holding that opinion would be hounded mercilessly if those views ever became public.

But that's not the reason I came back. I read comments from Dubs coach Mark Jackson when asked for his opinion of Collins' comment. He said, "As a Christian man, I have beliefs of what's right and what's wrong," replied Jackson. "That being said, I know Jason Collins, I know his family and I'm certainly praying for them at this time."

Hiding behind religion, Jackson came out and disapproved of Collins and his announcement. I have mixed feelings here. I firmly believe that Mark Jackson has a right to his opinion. But at the same time, his tacit judgment of Collins sickens me. I believe that regardless of one's religious views, passing judgment on a person for his sexual preference is wrong. Jackson could have easily picked different words or at least shown a modicum of support for Collins.

I have to say that from this point forward, I will look at Mark Jackson with less respect as a human being. The man may be a solid coach, but he is a VERY flawed human.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Jackson kinda sounds like a douche. Go get him liberal media!

waca1791

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Same God that commanded in Levitcus 18:22 also commanded
in 18:23. Are you not ok with v.22 but ok with v23 or is doing
the actions in v.23 ok with you also? If so where do YOU draw
the line?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So as everyone knows, Jason Collins has come out and announced that he is a gay man.

Publicly, the vast majority of the responses have been supportive of Collins and his announcement. A few have expressed privately (off the record) that they would be hesitant to be Collins' teammate now that they know. Of course, those will be off the record because the players holding that opinion would be hounded mercilessly if those views ever became public.

But that's not the reason I came back. I read comments from Dubs coach Mark Jackson when asked for his opinion of Collins' comment. He said, "As a Christian man, I have beliefs of what's right and what's wrong," replied Jackson. "That being said, I know Jason Collins, I know his family and I'm certainly praying for them at this time."

Hiding behind religion, Jackson came out and disapproved of Collins and his announcement. I have mixed feelings here. I firmly believe that Mark Jackson has a right to his opinion. But at the same time, his tacit judgment of Collins sickens me. I believe that regardless of one's religious views, passing judgment on a person for his sexual preference is wrong. Jackson could have easily picked different words or at least shown a modicum of support for Collins.

I have to say that from this point forward, I will look at Mark Jackson with less respect as a human being. The man may be a solid coach, but he is a VERY flawed human.

I'm the last guy to defend religious nuts like jackson but he is entitled to his opinion and should be no more ridiculed for it than Collins should be for coming out.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm the last guy to defend religious nuts like jackson but he is entitled to his opinion and should be no more ridiculed for it than Collins should be for coming out.

For the record, I do not begrudge him the ability to have his opinion. I am just saying that I think less of him because he chose to speak his mind the way he did. I am old school. I say what I think and do not hide behind anything. I have my beliefs and I and I alone am responsible for those opinions and the consequences of those.

My beef was that Jackson obviously disapproves of Collins' announcement but was not man enough to say so. He hid behind a bunch of 2000-year-old superstitions and used the idea of religious reasoning to couch his bigotry.

I still like him as a coach and still think he is a good front man for the Dubs. But as a person, he ranks really low on my chart.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, I do not begrudge him the ability to have his opinion. I am just saying that I think less of him because he chose to speak his mind the way he did. I am old school. I say what I think and do not hide behind anything. I have my beliefs and I and I alone am responsible for those opinions and the consequences of those.

My beef was that Jackson obviously disapproves of Collins' announcement but was not man enough to say so. He hid behind a bunch of 2000-year-old superstitions and used the idea of religious reasoning to couch his bigotry.

I still like him as a coach and still think he is a good front man for the Dubs. But as a person, he ranks really low on my chart.

Do you, in that same regard, think less of Collins for speaking out publicly about his sexual orientation? I'm not sure how that's different from Jackson making his feelings known on the subject. Jackson is a religious bigot, I agree, but what if he did come out and give his true feelings in the gay capital of the world (San Francisco)? He'd be crucified just like the son of his imaginary friend in the sky was 2,000 years ago.

RedRum

You Cant Handle the Truth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another Manti Teo'-esque thread?

The more you bring this subject up , the more people will attack it. You are not helping posting it again and again and again.. if Manti or Collins are happy coming out :clap:..... Leave them alone. They are happy the way they are...geez.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you, in that same regard, think less of Collins for speaking out publicly about his sexual orientation? I'm not sure how that's different from Jackson making his feelings known on the subject. Jackson is a religious bigot, I agree, but what if he did come out and give his true feelings in the gay capital of the world (San Francisco)? He'd be crucified just like the son of his imaginary friend in the sky was 2,000 years ago.

Well, it can't be said that I've never agreed with you. Some people will view his statement as too-soaked in PR, and others not enough. If he had said he supported Collins, we'd know he was lying. That is a sin. Just like judgment. I think he gave one of the least judgmental responses that I've ever read (EDIT: from a preacher of an Abrahamic religion). I don't agree with him, but that doesn't change my opinion of him. If anything, it would have changed more had he given an even more pre-packaged PR statement.

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not for nothing, but I think Cam's point is (or could be), Collins relayed a story via SI, that was about himself. It's not his opinion nor his belief. It is a factual story of himself. The same cannot be said of Jackson, whether right or wrong or not right nor wrong. :2cents:

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As a man who cheated on his wife, perhaps Jackson should be more focused on that log in his own eye...

I love Jackson, but I've grown weary of hearing Christians judge others based on a literal reading of The Bible. The Bible, of course, has been used to justify everything from slavery to subjugation of women to murdering Jews and other "non-believers".

I guess it comes down to what Jackson means by, "I'm praying for him at this time." Does this mean he's praying for him to not "sin" anymore? Or does it mean he's praying for Collins to have strength at a time when being attacked is inevitable?

And for the record: I am a churchgoer and (obviously) fully support Collins and gay rights.

Last edited by a moderator:

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not for nothing, but I think Cam's point is (or could be), Collins relayed a story via SI, that was about himself. It's not his opinion nor his belief. It is a factual story of himself. The same cannot be said of Jackson, whether right or wrong or not right nor wrong. :2cents:

For the most part, yes. This is my thought. There really is no comparison between what Collins said in the article and what Jackson said when asked about it.

And my point was also that Jackson used the statement, "That being said, I know Jason Collins, I know his family and I'm certainly praying for them at this time." Here is where my opinion comes in: my belief is that he WANTED to say, "Homosexuality is a sin and what Collins is doing is wrong." But he knows that in this hyper-vigilant society, he would be (rightfully) soundly ridiculed for saying it, so he hides his message in religious bullshiite.

To me, the hiding part is wrong. If you believe it, be a man and say it. Don't hide behind the Bible and use that as cover for your bigotry.

Now obviously, I am not a religious person, so my opinion here will likely be disregarded by many. But there are PLENTY of religious people out there who have learned to look beyond the hateful words of the Bible and learned to accept and to love everyone equally. So my message is not about hating religion. It is about calling out those who hate and then hide behind that religion. And in this case, I find Mark Jackson to be one of those people. As a coach, he's pretty darned good. As a person, not so much.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the most part, yes. This is my thought. There really is no comparison between what Collins said in the article and what Jackson said when asked about it.

And my point was also that Jackson used the statement, "That being said, I know Jason Collins, I know his family and I'm certainly praying for them at this time." Here is where my opinion comes in: my belief is that he WANTED to say, "Homosexuality is a sin and what Collins is doing is wrong." But he knows that in this hyper-vigilant society, he would be (rightfully) soundly ridiculed for saying it, so he hides his message in religious bullshiite.

To me, the hiding part is wrong. If you believe it, be a man and say it. Don't hide behind the Bible and use that as cover for your bigotry.

Now obviously, I am not a religious person, so my opinion here will likely be disregarded by many. But there are PLENTY of religious people out there who have learned to look beyond the hateful words of the Bible and learned to accept and to love everyone equally. So my message is not about hating religion. It is about calling out those who hate and then hide behind that religion. And in this case, I find Mark Jackson to be one of those people. As a coach, he's pretty darned good. As a person, not so much.

That's just it. That never changed. He made it pretty clear to most where his opinion lies by becoming a pastor, and anyone that follows sports would've known how he felt on the topic before he opened his mouth. This changes nothing. It wasn't a very thinly-veiled response, regardless. Which job did you want him to get fired from for a different response? I know coaching is his main source of income and I'm not encouraging catering to the whims of bigots, but had he answered any passively or aggressively (rather than just both), he would have lost one of his jobs. This is the society we live in, but luckily, I don't have to agree with someone about how other people live their lives to root for all of them (Warriors, homosexuals and homosexual Warriors included).

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bible is a lot like the tax laws. You chose what benefits you the most. :agree:

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"As a Christian man, I have beliefs of what's right and what's wrong," replied Jackson. "That being said, I know Jason Collins, I know his family and I'm certainly praying for them at this time."

I think Mark Jacksons comments were spot on. How else could he man up? He thinks its wrong because of his religion and in accordance with his beliefs he is praying for the family. However, he is not trying to judge anyone like most religious fanatics do.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mark Jacksons comments were spot on. How else could he man up? He thinks its wrong because of his religion and in accordance with his beliefs he is praying for the family. However, he is not trying to judge anyone like most religious fanatics do.

Exactly. Can't lie. It's a sin. Can't judge. It's a sin. Can't speak the whole truth that everyone knows he feels because he would get fired, or at the very least, fined. It's definitely a passive-aggressive statement, but that just makes him a slightly bigger dick than the one I assumed he was before.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Can't lie. It's a sin. Can't judge. It's a sin. Can't speak the whole truth that everyone knows he feels because he would get fired, or at the very least, fined. It's definitely a passive-aggressive statement, but that just makes him a slightly bigger dick than the one I assumed he was before.

But he sure can commit adultry and that's a "sin".

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a man who cheated on his wife, perhaps Jackson should be more focused on that log in his own eye...

I love Jackson, but I've grown weary of hearing Christians judge others based on a literal reading of The Bible. The Bible, of course, has been used to justify everything from slavery to subjugation of women to murdering Jews and other "non-believers".

I guess it comes down to what Jackson means by, "I'm praying for him at this time." Does this mean he's praying for him to not "sin" anymore? Or does it mean he's praying for Collins to have strength at a time when being attacked is inevitable?

And for the record: I am a churchgoer and (obviously) fully support Collins and gay rights.

That's the way I read it.

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
News Flash: Everyone sins.

Jackson never claimed to be without sin, he was asked a question and responded, I felt, appropriately for him. It's odd that some here want to call him a "bigot" and say Jackson is "hiding" behind the Bible, when in fact we all know exactly what he was saying and why he was saying it. I see no evidence at all of Jackson directing hatred toward homosexuals, i.e. bigotry, nor do I see any evidence of him trying to hide how his religious beliefs align with the issue.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hold up; you're reading into his comments what you want to be there. I am a more or less observant Jew; I believe eating pork is wrong.

Can't lie; it's wrong. Can't judge OTHERS, but for me it's wrong. If I had a client that was a hog farmer, I could still do my job and be fine with him producing pork for consumption. Similarly, Jackson works in an organization with Rick Welts as his superior. He can do his job and be fine with Rick being gay.

I think you're looking for something to rail against that may not be there.