• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jacoby Ellsbury for 2014

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever since the end of the 2011 season, I have wanted the Sox to trade Ellsbury. I never thought he would duplicate his near-MVP 2011 season, and I was sure that would make it very difficult for the Sox to re-sign him anyway.

We also have Jackie Bradley Jr. waiting in the wings to replace him for 2014, so I was more inclined to let him walk. Now this has nothing to do with his 2 Hr's last night, but I am beginning to secong guess myself.

I think there is room for Ellsbury on the 2014 Sox if he is willing to be reasonable and accept a deal in the range of B.J. Upton's 5yr/$75mm contract. My original feeling was that Ellsbury would ask for a Carl Crawford-type contract at 6 or 7 years and $20mm per after his monster 2011.

After his injury plagued 2012 and good season this year, I don't think Scott Bor-Ass (intentionally misspelled) can market him as a 30 hr guy, or even a 20 hr guy.

The Sox should compare Ellsbury to Upton because I think they have mostly the same skill set, with Ellsbury being the better hitter, and Upton having more power. They both have good speed, and are both good defenders. I give the overall edge to Ellsbury, so I am willing to pay a small premium for that.

The Sox can open 2014 with Bradley in LF, Ellsbury in CF, and Victorino in RF. That would be an awesome defensive outfield, and all three have a well-rounded game. Jonny Gomes becomes a bench bat and occasional platoon partner for Bradley. Nava would be the odd man out here, which is unfortunate, but I think he has overachieved this season.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KEEP ELLSBURY!

It's highly unlikely we'd get our moneysworth if we did trade him.

People who can score from 1B as often as he does are uncommon, to put it briefly.

As are people who can cover as much ground as he does.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unloading Dempster and giving his rotation spot to anyone but Aceves
would make more sense than trading The Navajo.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2011season was a fluke. Ellsbury is a .300 hitter, 15 HR, 80 RBI guy who's a gold glove caliber CF. Not sure why you want him out so bad. He's not going to hit 31 HR's, but he doesn't need too to be great still.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll be interesting to follow this winter.... We'll see how well Cherrington can handle the Boras full court press. My guess is that he will be quite amused.

Unfortunately, Ellsbury has always seemed like the odd man out in Boston. My guess is he is gone to the highest bidder - which will not be Boston.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted Ellsbury out after 2011 because I never thought he would repeat that season and because his trade value was highest. Once he got hurt last season we couldn't trade him.

Now, I have changed my mind, and would like to have him back, but only at a reasonable rate. But I do agree with Steveringo that I think he goes to the highest bidder. That is what Boras has his clients do, and I also agree that Boston will likely not be that high bidder.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's a reasonable rate for someone who isn't just All-Star Starter caliber, but
World Series Champion Starter caliber?

That's what "The Navajo" is.

Last edited by a moderator: