• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm making the switch from Apple to Android

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't trade my iPhone for anything. It's not perfect, but jailbreak it and you have the best of both worlds.

Which model do you have? I moronically updated my iOS, so now I can't jailbreak my phone until 7.1 is available. I'm just waiting on the 6, to be honest. The rumors I've seen are that it will have a 4.7" screen.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't trade my iPhone for anything. It's not perfect, but jailbreak it and you have the best of both worlds.

I've done the jailbreaking thing. Once they took down Crackulous it lost its luster though.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A proper keyboard is the only way to go - worth the little extra thickness. I'm still using a Razor 4 and have no complaints.

droid4-official4.jpg

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A proper keyboard is the only way to go - worth the little extra thickness. I'm still using a Razor 4 and have no complaints.

droid4-official4.jpg

I can't say I've ever had a phone with a whole keyboard. I kind of transitioned from the straight up number pad (and those were a pain in the butt to text with) to the iPhone. BlackBerry has a big following in the business world but mostly for the older people from what I've noticed.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a huge Blackberry user and the only negative I can find with an iPhone after 4 years of use is that if you have group emails setup in outlook they do not transfer over and have to be reset up on the iPhone. Other than that most of my complaints have been fixed and I can pretty much do most of my communication on the iPhone or iPad.

Still need the laptop to create documents and use Microsoft office but my world is much more mobile.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a huge Blackberry user and the only negative I can find with an iPhone after 4 years of use is that if you have group emails setup in outlook they do not transfer over and have to be reset up on the iPhone. Other than that most of my complaints have been fixed and I can pretty much do most of my communication on the iPhone or iPad.

Still need the laptop to create documents and use Microsoft office but my world is much more mobile.

If you use SkyDrive (Microsoft) or Google Docs to make spreadsheets that save to the cloud. I actually like using those sites instead of the Microsoft Office Suite itself so I can always have it accessible anywhere there is internet access. If you need to you can save the sheets as any kind of file you want from your home computer. My only complaint with them is that you can't select multiple cells like you can in the actual Excel program.

Although I understand using an iPad to make a spreadsheet would be a pain in the ass because of the extra time needed to format and enter the data.

Back when I had my iPad jailbroken there was an app in Cydia where you could have mouse connectivity. If you add something like a Zagg keyboard it pretty much becomes a make-shift laptop. That's not too bad to use at all the screen is just a little smaller.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just pre-ordered the Galaxy S5. I don't really have anything against Apple but I've had a few generations of them and wanted a change. Has anybody else switched? Was your experience better or worse? Is there an Apple Music store app where I can download music I've had from there or do I just pull it from my computer? Do Android devices restrict you to uploading music from one computer like Apple does?

I have an S4...love it.

I don't use half the functions the phone can do, but compared to my iph4, it's faster, larger, more powerful (I can download and work on XL, Word docs, maybe I could've done that on the iph4m but never tried. This version has a nicer web browser also, the talk to text app, speak to google app works better than the apple lady did.

That said, the iph4 was easier to use out of the box...I've kept all my music on my ipod, but I did consider moving it to my S4...you cannot just move your tunes over to a droid...files need to be converted.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Each has their own advantage. If you more of a tech person (more than the average user), android is usually the way to go.

Android use to have a lot of issues in the earlier versions that are fixed now either due to updates in technology (more ram, processing power) or fixes to the OS itself. People telling you about having a shitty experience 2 years ago are out of date with what it is now.

It will take a little bit to get use to the interface. I personally don't like the single button the iPhones have. Androids usually give you around 3 and they don't make the screen size any smaller.

I have a note 2. I really like it. I rooted it and enjoy it. Been thinking of ROM'ing it but haven't done that yet.

People that say either one are shit are narrow minded and don't understand that one product doesn't fit all.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do u have a tablet?? If so get the same phone. iPad=iPhone android tablet= android phone.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which model do you have? I moronically updated my iOS, so now I can't jailbreak my phone until 7.1 is available. I'm just waiting on the 6, to be honest. The rumors I've seen are that it will have a 4.7" screen.

4s with a lifeproof case. That thing is well worth the money.

I've done the jailbreaking thing. Once they took down Crackulous it lost its luster though.

That was never the point of it. It simply gives you complete control of your phone (which admittedly you shouldn't have to hack to do, but their reasons are sound and it does add decent security and (simple) user friendliness to do the way they do it.)

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, that looks like a rotary phone to me.

I can't say I've ever had a phone with a whole keyboard. I kind of transitioned from the straight up number pad (and those were a pain in the butt to text with) to the iPhone. BlackBerry has a big following in the business world but mostly for the older people from what I've noticed.

Well, it might look silly but it sure is easier to type. You just slide that bitch open and can quickly type a text or email without having to hunt and peck on the screen. It has all the same shit as every other stupidphone - so why not have a keyboard if you prefer it?

The IPhone is as thick as that Razor4, has no keyboard and no better features. So, why??

I never owned a Blackberry but have always had a keyboard. BB had shittay phones. Samsung usually has a good keyboard phone.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My next phone will have a 64bit processor. I dont care who its made by

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do u have a tablet?? If so get the same phone. iPad=iPhone android tablet= android phone.
I have an iPad but I rarely use it now that I have a laptop. I like using it for presentations, traveling light, or simply propping it up for an extra monitor to stream sports games. I would love to sell it but I'm an idiot and got my name and phone number laser etched into the back of it.

I have an S4...love it.

I don't use half the functions the phone can do, but compared to my iph4, it's faster, larger, more powerful (I can download and work on XL, Word docs, maybe I could've done that on the iph4m but never tried. This version has a nicer web browser also, the talk to text app, speak to google app works better than the apple lady did.

That said, the iph4 was easier to use out of the box...I've kept all my music on my ipod, but I did consider moving it to my S4...you cannot just move your tunes over to a droid...files need to be converted.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.
I do a lot of work on Excel both for work and personal use. You can use Excel-like apps and open Excel files with iPhones but the compatibility has its issues. That sounds like something positive for me as far as editing documents goes (not creating them since that would be aggravating).
That was never the point of it. It simply gives you complete control of your phone (which admittedly you shouldn't have to hack to do, but their reasons are sound and it does add decent security and (simple) user friendliness to do the way they do it.)
It was the main incentive for me to use it along with the valuable extensions. Most of those extensions have found their way to the other marketplaces though so in the end there isn't much up side to it anymore for me. Banned iPhone still has a ton of stuff but you can't deny going into Crackulous and getting any app your heart desired for free was a pretty damn good perk.

Well, it might look silly but it sure is easier to type. You just slide that bitch open and can quickly type a text or email without having to hunt and peck on the screen. It has all the same shit as every other stupidphone - so why not have a keyboard if you prefer it?

The IPhone is as thick as that Razor4, has no keyboard and no better features. So, why??

I never owned a Blackberry but have always had a keyboard. BB had shittay phones. Samsung usually has a good keyboard phone.
Yea, the main downside to the screen typing is that you lose at least half of your visual. I'm not knocking it at all but I don't know if that style is for me.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are way over my head tech wise. I have a Galaxy SII and like it a lot. My ex-wife was a tech professional, used to have her do all the tech adjustments for me, but I get by for what I need. Don't use the laptop near as much anymore, just use the phone.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have any pirated apps (that's still doable, though, btw).

I just like having complete control of my device back. Apple has it's reasons for limitation and it's one of the things that makes their phone so successful (everything just works, there's little risk of infection, etc), but that's not for me. I'm a computer guy and I want to be free to run my own scripts on it, along with other tweaks that maximize my use.

I can't do droid because it's way too buggy. And while the big apps do both, there's a lot of apple specific apps because they make them easy to write. Android you have to spend as much time on compatibility as on functionality because there are so many more devices.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I switched from Droid to Iphone years ago... I loved my droid... And if you read CNET reviews and other review sites they all think the newest Droids are better than the Iphones...

But now that i have an iphone i would not switch back, too comfortable with the usage of the apple operating system...

:agree::10:

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4s with a lifeproof case. That thing is well worth the money.

I've got the 5 with an OuterBox. I want the 5s but I'm holding out until the 6 comes out. I've read some rumors and virtually everyone of them says the new phone will have a 4.7" screen. I'm psyched about that.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had both, the life proof is better. A better fit, tighter, and fully submersible.